Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kaos23
Contributor
Message 11 of 18

Re: New User Interface

Hi Steve,

I am in Australia and discovered the new user interface tonight on one of my home pc’s by accident.  Just checking up on the latest dats. 

Steveo46
Contributor
Message 12 of 18

Peter,

I have Vrus Scan 13.15. Is that version going to get the new U.I. My next question what do you recommend I do at thiss time, just wait or do a unistall re-intall.I am curious is how is Mcafee going to get this new update to me.

Thank As Alway's

Steve

Steveo46
Contributor
Message 13 of 18

Hi,

So that is why you reieved the new update.It was released to Australian Servers first, according to Peter.

I have to start getting ready for work will contnue this at a later date.

Have a good day,

Steve

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 14 of 18

Steve046 you don't have to do anything if you don't want to.  It will eventually update the whole thing and ask for a reboot.  If you want to uninstall and reinstall you can try it, it's really up to you but I can't guarantee it will work.

Steveo46
Contributor
Message 15 of 18

Peter,

I just don't want to uninstall & reinstall if the new user interface has not been released to the U.S. Servers.The reson all this started & you can read all the posts, when I turned on my computer there was a message from Kaos25 telling me The new intereface has arrived.After back 7 forth I found he was in Australia & I remember you said it was released to Australia servers first.Does the new User Interface apply to my McAfee virus scan 13.15.

Steve

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 18

I just said I got it from the US servers but I also stated that it is being released gradually so nothing is guaranteed.

MoxieMomma
Former Member
Message 17 of 18

Ex_Brit wrote:

I just said I got it from the US servers but I also stated that it is being released gradually so nothing is guaranteed.

Hi, Peter:

Although everyone is talking about this as a new "user interface", obviously there's more to this update than just appearances, right?

IOW, this is a major version update, is it not?

(And it seems that not all the changes are improvements, e.g. the removal of additional user configuration options, such as the ability to shut down the system after a manual scan?)

I know you mentioned some weeks back that home users of McAfee that was OEM on their computers (in my case, from DELL) would get the updates from the computer maker directly.  I've repeatedly confirmed this NOT to be the case -- at least that's Dell's story and they're sticking it with it. (Truth be told, although I'm sure you know what happens in these cases & I take you at your word, it does make sense to me that my subscription is with McAfee, so I would get any version updates from McAfee.)

Anyway, assuming that (eventually) I would receive the updates to MSC (I don't have McAfee TP or McAfee IS -- it's only McAfee Security Center) one way or the other from McAfee, I have a couple of technical questions based on what I'm reading here at the forum and based on my experience with major version updates to other brands of ISSs in the past.

There seems to be a consensue that it would be preferable to do an uninstall/cleanup/reinstall with the new version rather than installing on top of the existing version (with the requisite reboot).

However, it doesn't seem as though we are given that option with the standard updating process.

In other words, we have no way to determine that an update coming in on any given day now is the major version update, instead of "just" a DAT update?

(Certainly, the length of time it takes for the dl/install and the prompt to reboot would be a clue that it's happening, but by then, it would be "too late"!)

We could try the uninstall/cleanup/reinstall process, downloading the product from our account at McAfee.  However, as you pointed out, even then, since the release is not yet universal, if I were to try that now, I might or might not end up with the new version.

Since MSC is working OK at the moment, and since there seem to be some  bugs yet to be worked out in the new version, I'll probably stick to the current version a while longer, according to the "if it ain't broke..." principle.

(I could even forego my current subscription to MSC & start from scratch with a new subscription to TP 2010 or MIS 2010 to get a more complete product?)

But all of this begs the rhetorical question:

If/When the version updates are made available as an "update",why isn't there some sort of alert or pop-up or other notification that "new software is available" or a "new version is available", which would allow me to create a windows RP before the install, or even to opt to do a complete uninstall/cleanup/reinstall, rather than just a reboot after an in-place update?

Or am I completely misunderstanding this whole process?

Thanks, as always, for your sage advice!

MM

PS Having used a number of other ISSs over the years -- including ones that were OEM on my computer and that underwent major version updates every year -- I must confess that I find this whole process with McAfee to be needlessly complicated & confusing.

This is particularly ironic since McAfee continues to remove features and user-configurable options from its products, creating the impression that we users just can't be trrusted with operating our own computers.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 18

Moxiemomma, I just don't have time to read all of that, sorry.  It'll happen when it happens.   Yes it's a major change but every years model is different from the last.

Bits are missing that were on the 2009 version and they know we are not pleased about that.

Update pop-ups depend on your settings, but will appear when a major update requiring a reboot occurs, which would be the case when a new version is installed.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 08/02/10 8:10:38 EST AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community