cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
AngusSF
Former Member
Message 11 of 15

RE: Need to disable firewall to access net/email

My daughter had a problem with her laptop last year -- the WiFi and internal Ethernet just quit working and I couldn't get it working remotely. When she brought it home at Xmas I discovered the problem was an incompletely-removed copy of a 3rd-party firewall. Once I reinstalled and then removed the firewall everything started working again. I had to reinstall it to get the removal software installed.

Sounds to me like you have something similar going on. If the machine once had a Norton/Symantec firewall, the removal process you went through may not have completed properly. Symantec makes a number of removal tools available for troubleshooting this, there are different ones for different versions of Norton Internet Security. Just Google: http://www.google.com/search?q=norton+removal+tool+[Your_Version_Of_Norton], download the tool that is appropriate for your problem, and try that.

Of course, I shouldn't need to tell you wink to create a system-restore point before trying this.
wl035
Former Member
Message 12 of 15

angus,

are you saying to re-install norton, and then remove using the removal tool, rather than "uninstall"? if i re-install norton, do i need to uninstall mcafee first?

thanks,
wl
wl035
Former Member
Message 13 of 15

i have already run the removal tool, but i didn't re-install first.
AngusSF
Former Member
Message 14 of 15

No, just running the NRT should have done the trick. Are you still offline?
wl035
Former Member
Message 15 of 15

sorry. stepped away for a bit.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community