cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Malky
Former Member
Message 1 of 36

Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

Is is noticed that the 2009 version has the same advertised sub-programs as does the 2010 version. Has anyone found the "Identity Protection" program which is advertised in the 2010 package. Having "Chatted" to customer services then to "Technical"?? this morning, it seems that this is a sub program which is missing from the 2010 package. Now it is advertised as to be in the package. If it is not there, than the advertising would be illegal under U.K. law. I have tried with NO avail to get through to McAfee by direct e-mail. I think that a letter of complaint to the advertising regulators may have the desired effect.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Regards

Malky

35 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 36

Re: Missing software in the Internet Security 2010 package.

Can you tell me exactly where you see that on the UK website & what package you purchased?  I took a look and the only mention of identity protection is in SiteAdvisor/SiteAdvisor Plus (version depends on the package but all packages include one of them) which installs as an add-on for Firefox or Internet Explorer browsers, (see figure 1), or could be related to Online Backup which is an optional bonus download (see figure 2) in some packages.  (Click to enlarge).   Or it could relate to Anti-Theft which only comes included in Total Protection again as a bonus download.

Capture1.JPG

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/02/10 9:37:37 EST AM
Malky
Former Member
Message 3 of 36

It is written on the Software packaging. The 2009 version of McAfee Internet Security has the same claims that the 2010 version of McAfee Internet Security has.

Anit Virus

Anti-spyware

Anti-spam

Anti-phishing

Two-way Firewall

Website Safety Ratings

Identity Protection

Parental Controls

Data Backup

Above are the individual components/software packages, sub-programs, or whatever you may wish to call them, which are claimed by McAfee to be in BOTH the 2009 and 2010 packages. The only problem is that it, Identity Protection, is NOT in the 2010 package, but IS advertised as being so. I was even told by customer services this morning that I would have to buy an additional package to get "Identity Protection" even though McAfee claims that it is an integral part of the 2010 package.

McAfee at it's usual best, AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Never happy with the subscriptions that they are already getting. Always wishing more.

In the 2009 package, one can select which private information can be witheld from others.

In the 2009, under Internet and Network, there is an option for "Personal Information Protection is Enabled" This information can be edited or switched off as the user sees fit. The same level of security re "Personal Identity" has been omitted from the 2010 package, but it is supposed to be there.

Regards

Malky

Message was edited by: Malky on 17/02/10 08:50:26 CST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 36

SiteAdvisor protects identity by warning of dangerous websites.   That would cover that description in the packaging and is included in all packages.

Where did you purchase the package (I gather you have it on a CD)?

Does your SecurityCenter look like this apart from the words Total Protection?

Capture.JPG

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 17/02/10 10:05:29 EST AM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 36

In the 2009 package, one can select which private information can be
witheld from others.

In the 2009, under Internet and Network,
there is an option for "Personal Information Protection is Enabled" This
information can be edited or switched off as the user sees fit. The
same level of security re "Personal Identity" has been omitted from the
2010 package, but it is supposed to be there.

Let me flag that question in our section and see what McAfee says.  I'll get back to you.

Malky
Former Member
Message 6 of 36

It does not in this case. Identity Protection is a CLEAR statement by McAfee. It is an edit enabled program which allows the user to hold back/block information that he or she wishes. This has nothing to do with SiteAdvisor, as SiteAdvisor is working in relation to incoming information/data. Identity protection is working with user controlled outgoing information/data.

Please do not grasp at straws in trying to protect McAfee regarding this issue.

Regards

Malky

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 36

Understood.  I've posted the question in our internal troubleshooting section.  Hopefully someone from McAfee will spot it soon.

Malky
Former Member
Message 8 of 36

Thank you

Regards

Malky

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 36

I got a response already.  Someone is looking into it.  I'll let you know what they say.

tromine
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 10 of 36

Malky,

Good discussion and understandable observations.  I've spoken to the senior Product Manager in charge of building this protection suite.  The answer is this:  "Identity Protection is indeed part of the suite.  It uses a combination of technologies to offer this.  The

anti-virus/anti-spyware technology helps catch malware that attempts to steal your identity.  The firewall helps prevent said malware from communicating externally.  Finally, SiteAdvisor provides anti-phishing and safe search and surf, so you can avoid sites that try to steal your identity."

So, Ex-Brit's observations, as usual, were dead-on.  While we may not have some module with a particular on/off switch labelled 'Identity Protection', I'd hold McAfee's ID protection up against any other security software company's app.

I hope this helps to answer your questions/concerns.

Product Manager, McAfee Consumer Software
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community