cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jis1987
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

Microsoft winpop error message - McAfee Update Launcher problem encountered

Within about the last two weeks my computer started generating a winpop message " McAfee Update Launcher has encountered a problem and needs to close."  It's pops quite frequently and is annoying to say the least.  I'll get the message whether it is automatically updating or if i hit the update link.  The McAfee program is part of my MSN Premium subscription.  I have Windows XP with service pack 3 installed. No issues with web access.  No other anivirus software installed.

I hit the update link, the circle timer next to "Checking for Updates" is highlighted with 0% complete. It will cycle for 30 seconds or so then the winpop error message appears several times. I have seen that the "Update Date" time change seems to refelect the time I hit the update button. 

Things I have tried that have NOT solved the issue:

• Uninstall and reinstall the McAfee software (2x)
  • Virtual Tech many times (5x) - seems to come up with different errors it identifies, fixes them, but still getting the winpops
  • Disable DEP for the mcupdmgr.exe
  • Turned off the automatic update

Any assistance with solving this is greatly appreciated.

5 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 6

Re: Microsoft winpop error message - McAfee Update Launcher problem encountered

As you appear to have done all the steps we would normally recommend I think perhaps you should approach Technical Support directly.  It's free by phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of this page.

The only thing I would add would be, did you run the MCPR cleanup tool after uninstalling and before reinstalling?

(Linked under Useful Links at the top of this page also).

The other thing to add is that I do know that the Virtual Technician has been having problems with a faulty data server and has been giving strange readings in some cases.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 01/05/13 2:36:38 EDT PM
jis1987
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Thanks for the response.  I did not run the MCPR tool.  I just clicked on the link at the top of the page and it returned a message that the document ID was not recognized by the system.  Any other suggestions?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 6

It works fine for me, here's the direct download link:  http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

karthiks
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

jis1987,

This issue has been reported to Engineering and the issue is under investigation. It won’t cause any problem on your machine so requesting you to wait for at least 1 week to check the condition of the issue. I will also ask my engineering team to know the current status of the issue

jis1987
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

I did the complete uninstall directly from McAfee (MCPR) and the problem still exists.  I ran the computer without the McAfee and it was fast again.  Once i did the download, it returned to being slow.  Please keep me informed if the Engineering department comes up with anything soon.

Thank you,

John

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community