cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jwolford
Contributor
Message 1 of 261

Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

I'm rather suddenly having the problem with mcshield.exe running constantly at high (30 to 75%) CPU percentage rates.  Started on my older XP computer two or three days ago and my newer Dimension E510 (2 GB Ram, etc) yesterday.  Winlogon.exe also runs a a similar percentage.  Hard drives are defragmented, ran Malwarebytes on both machines with nothing significant found, no apparently virus activity, no changes to the computers or software installed other than the normal updates from McAfee and Microsoft which are automatic. 

I turned off Real-time Scanning on both computers and the problem totally went away on both of them with the System Idle time immediately rising to near 90% per Task Manager.

I have three McAfee licenses, but haven't checked my Vista notebook lately which has the third license on it.  It's only used periodically and stays in its case otherwise.

The time span of this thread and the many other references to this and similarly described McAfee problems is stunning. 

I've had McAfee Antivirus for a LOT of years, but getting tired of visiting the user forum.  Glad to see that SPyron is still around though, hi!  I remember working on a RAM memory "leak" (I think that was the last one anyway - Islandgirl was much involved with that one too) which resulted in a McAfee update which fixed the problem.

Yet again - help!

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 18/07/11 4:29:58 EDT PM
260 Replies
jmckee
Contributor III
Message 2 of 261

Re: Mcshield.exe High Virtual Memory Usage

Same thing has been happening on my system since an update over a month ago. The high CPU usage takes up a good 5 minutes , but on a reboot after an update (DATs included) , the high usage lasts at least 10 minutes to as much as 15 minutes. In the latter case , Task Manager shows mcshield.exe using as much as 250 megs and often at least 50% CPU. Winlogin.exe is also quite active , but nowhere near what mcshield.exe is.

Peacekeeper
Message 3 of 261

1 thing that can cause this type of issue is Hp wireless printers. Do you have 1 connected?

DanMck254
Former Member
Message 4 of 261

I'm having the same problem and do not have an HP wireleass printer. What about turning off real-time scanning? Is that safe?

jwolford
Contributor
Message 5 of 261

My HP printer is a fairly old one and not wireless, but hanks for the quick attention to this problem Tony.

In answer to DanMck254, no, turning off real-time scanning isn't safe and I just did it to see if McAfee AV was really the problem.  The problem disappeared on both computers when the scanning was turned off. 

My problem occurs all of the time, by the way, not just after a reboot for 10 or 15 minutes.  It would SEEM that since winlogon.exe also shows high usage as well as mcshield.exe that it would be worse after a reboot, but such is not the case.

I tried some forum suggestions from 2009 regards deleting some McAfee logs - could really only find two of the four logs on this newer Dell XP computer, but the problem went away last nite and the computer is still working correctly this morning.  Same thing did not help on the older Dell XP.  I'll let you all know if the "fix" continues to work.  Here's a link to the old forum thread:

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/17307

newjack
Former Member
Message 6 of 261

If you look at post 741 and 745 you will see this problem is not just related to printers or drivers.

Peacekeeper
Message 7 of 261

Ok missed the mcshield comment as the HP printer issue has slightly different issues. I know newjack woulkd have tried this but as both your updates were probably auto updates I would feel that an muninstall reinstall of the mcafee products would  or rather have a chance of helping. Before you do that remove all antimalware products such as spybot and Malwarebytrs they will stop the install. You can reinstall them later if they have no real time scanning component.

Uninstall via

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS100507

reboot and run

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/Mcpreinstall.exe

Ok this only a first though I will discuss this in our Monday mod call when I get the result of the reinstall. I know the techs will ask if it is done.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 8 of 261

Peacekeeper wrote:

1 thing that can cause this type of issue is Hp wireless printers. Do you have 1 connected?

No HP printer here. I have a Lexmark laser connected via USB cable. The printer is always off until I turn it on.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 9 of 261

Hmmm... Peacekeeper, I think we should split this into a new thread, do you agree? I think this is something different.

Can I get versions (Hi again jwolford, I remember you ) from everyone effected? I'd just like the firewall, virusscan, and securitycenter.

I agree Tony, it does sound like another RTS is installed, but we'll see what they get and probably discuss on the phone today?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 10 of 261

Hey jwolford,

I branched this off to it's own thread because the particular issue in that other one was resolved by a product update, so we need to find out what's happening now and fix that one.

Now I'm sorry, were you saying you cleared those logs last night and it seemed to work? Or no?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community