cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bigmike68
Former Member
Message 11 of 23

Mcafees new format from att.

Reinstalled and still sais cleaner is running! Under network support there is no value for WINS Server! Not sure if thats an issue? Im not saying that its mcafee, but bottom line is that i didnt have this issure untill mcafee downloaded and installed the new format! I never had any issue with the old format! Before wiping my system clean i was able to restore to a point where the previous mcafee was installed, and it worked! So you tell me! Please! Because I havent seen any other discussions with the issues Im having, but I am seeing alot of discussions with issues regarding internet and browsers! But theres where resolved!...........Frustrated!!

Peacekeeper
Message 12 of 23

Getting past me this is new the still running issue. Have you used registry cleaners recently?

I asked Prakash to contact you will ask another to chase you up as well. The weekend is a problem everything Mcafee grinds to a halt then.

Will also point EX_brit here to see if he sees something I missed.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 23

Re: Mcafees new format from att.

Are you running XP SP3?   If not there's help here:  https://community.mcafee.com/thread/2007

How do you connect to the Internet and is the LAN or WLAN driver up to date...or whatever software is needed for your Internet Connection?

What is WINServer - is that how you connect to the Internet?   Maybe you need to install the appropriate software for that?

Unfortunately XP, unlike Vista and Windows 7, doesn't always know what drivers and software are needed by your system.

I vaguely remember having to install the software for my LAN (Internet) as a separate item always in my XP system otherwise I couldn't connect at all.

I've noticed another thread where 2 users are having the same issue - McAfee installed - no connection, uninstall McAfee - connection restored.

We have emailed our contacts for support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 12/03/11 8:26:23 EST AM
bigmike68
Former Member
Message 14 of 23

Ok. Fully updated to windows xp sp3. I did connect thru a wireless card from netgear and the driver was up to date according to netgear. The internet connection was always there just couldnt open web pages with either browser. ................................UPDATE!  Thanks Brit for mentioning lan and wlan! i decided to mevove my wireless card and uninstall the software for it. The i connected my lan directly to modem, basicly went from wireless to wired connection! And low and behold, it works! Which tells me i have a wireless card that is either damaged or not compatible?Or could it even be the slot in the mother board?....Since I have a spare card of the same one I have now, im going to try that card! Lets see if it works!...Any Ideas please feel free to reply!

Thanks everyone for your time and support!!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 15 of 23

Glad it's OK now.  Unfortunately there are now problems with this board which are preventing me from doing much in the way of responses.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 16 of 23

Maybe it was because you had 2 internet connections?

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 13/03/11 4:51:04 EDT PM
bigmike68
Former Member
Message 17 of 23

Well I thought the same thing but no. I installed the spare wireless card from netgear and it didnt work either. Att remote accessed my pc and said everything was fine on this end. Said either the card is not compatible or mcafee. Att is sending me a usb wireless adapter to see if it works. Not wanting to wait, went to best buy andd bought a belkin wirelessN USB adapter and it works great! I really would like to have a wireless card instaed of a usb adapter but i may just stick with the usb adapter. My guess is my old netgear card is not compatible with Mcafee's new format? Dont know why, and wish I knew why?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 23

I wonder if this thread might help where a customer found that a change in firewall settings was necessary to enable the Netgear Wireless?

https://community.mcafee.com/thread/24325

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 19 of 23

I'm sorry Mike but a glitch in the forum took my duplicate responses along with your reply when I deleted my own posts.   I don't know what;s going on with this board but it's extremely annoying,.

I suggest you cotact Technical Support Online Chat via Useful Links at the top of this page.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 14/03/11 7:54:30 EDT AM
bigmike68
Former Member
Message 20 of 23

Hey its cool! My firewall settings had full access for netgear and was enabled.  What I have found thus far is my modem was asking for a wpa2-psk key instead of a wep key! This had to have been changed during the mcafee upgrade. My netgear card only supports wep, thus wouldnt connect or stay connected and open webpages. Even tho my netgear software had a listing for wpa2-psk. It wouldnt connect or stay connect. And when it did stay connected windows indicated that the internet connection was connected but with limitatons. I researched the card and found no info for support for wpa2-psk. So since im running a wirelessN usb adapter im going to try a wirelessN card and see what happens.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community