Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ConorD62
Former Member
Message 1 of 15

Mcafee\MSC\Mcregist.exe

Jump to solution

Windows Cannot find 'C:\Program Files\Mcafee\MSC\Mcregist.exe

Make sure you typed the name correctly, and then try again..

I didn't even type it, it was just on my desktop, this also isn't the Mcafee Total Protection, that is working.

This is something called "McAfee Internet Secruity Suite"

???

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 12 of 15

Re: Mcafee\MSC\Mcregist.exe

Jump to solution

So it was merely an ad....so is it gone now?

View solution in original post

14 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 15

Jump to solution

You possible have remnants of 2 different packages in your system which need cleaning out.

Try the following:

1.  Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel" (Programs/Uninstall a Program in Vista/Windows 7).

2.  Use the MCPR tool, see this article: How to remove supported McAfee consumer products using the McAfee Consumer Products Removal tool (MC...  This will remove all McAfee remnants from your computer.  (You must have Windows 7,  Vista, XP or 2000, SP4 to use this tool)

3.  Launch Windows Explorer and delete all McAfee files in "Program Files" but especially in "C:\Document and Settings\<user>\Application Data" and "C:\Document and Settings\All Users\Application Data". You have to set Windows Explorer to show all hidden files and folders (Tools > Folder Options > View tab). Just delete the McAfee folders even if they are empty in all the "Application Data" folders. Can be more than one!

In Vista: C:\Program Files, C:\ProgramData and C:\Users\yourname\AppData\Roaming

If you can't find these files don't worry.  It just means that MCPR has done its job.

4.  Reboot and redownload/reinstall your McAfee products directly from your account at the McAfee web site or your ISP depending where you get your product from.

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 3 of 15

Jump to solution

Everything works perfectly except that, and I have to uninstall everything?

Weird thing is, this never popped up till today.

Message was edited by: ConorD62 on 17/06/10 17:40:28 CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 4 of 15

Jump to solution

Well I would imagine that's the only way to get rid of a stray entity such as that - by using the cleanup tool.

You could use the online technical Support Chat if you prefer but I'm pretty sure they would suggest the same routine, sorry about that, I know it's a pain having to do it.

or.....

As that mcregist is the product registration tool why don't you go to the file on your hard drive, double-click and go through the registration process to see if it goes away?

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 5 of 15

Jump to solution

Well apparently, its a missing file...

The file isn't in the hard drive.

You said I had to un install it for it to work.

Cleanup tool's wouldn't erase all my mcafee, so I could just do that, right?

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 15

Jump to solution

If it's a missing file then you have two alternatives.   Run The McAfee Virtual Technician and see if it repairs the problem, or running the aforementioned MCPR removal tool to remove all aspects of McAfee and then starting afresh with a new installation from the online account.

I wonder why it's missing...have you been using Registry Cleaners or Optimizers?   They are notorious for removing good stuff along with the trash.

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 7 of 15

Jump to solution

I once used a registry cleaner by accident because it told me it was Malwarebytes..

I'll use McAfee Virtual Technician now.

EDIT:: I ran McAfee Virtual Technician, No problems found, apparently.

Message was edited by: ConorD62 on 17/06/10 19:07:37 CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 8 of 15

Jump to solution

There's only one Malwarebytes and it's a great anti-malware tool not a registry cleaner.  Anyway good luck.  The MVT can't always repair all installations so let's hope it works in this case.

If it doesn't then use the removal tool and reinstall everything.

ConorD62
Former Member
Message 9 of 15

Jump to solution

Couldn't I just delete the one file itself.. It's not on the hard drive, it's just sitting there on my desktop before today it's never been there.

And I've never heard of McAfee Internet Secruity Suite..

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 15

Jump to solution

Internet Security Suite is the one before Total Protection - just a name.  Sorry I assumed that you had tried deleting it already, yes of course try that.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community