What astonishes me is the complete and absolute lack of communication by McAfee on this issue to the end user... you and me. I had to google to several times befolre I came across this thread.
The questions I would like to know and anwser to would be this.
1. At what point did McAfee become aware of this issue.
2. It would appear to me that this issue is about 2 days old, however I am on GMT+10 hours, so the issue may probably be older.
3. Why is it that the moderators in this forum have been fed to the wolves in terms of coming up with a possible fix to this issue? When will McAfee officially enter the forum with an explanation, a fix, and an apology?
4. At what point do McAfee estimate they will have an ACTUAL fix to this issue? I would hate to be a sytems administrator who would be expected to Uninstal McAfee, run the removal tools, then re-install across several machines.... and then test every machine to ensure McAfee is installed & operating correctly.
5. I have dumped McAfee a couple times before over the last decade because of poor performance issues and I won't hesitate to do it again. Life is too short to be McAfee's guinea pig because that neglect to ensure the updates etc. are fully tested before they are released.
Finally, thank you to the moderators for at least trying to man the fort in the absence of McAfee.
Time to call it quits for tonight. Tomorrow ether pigs will fly or McAfee will have found a workable fix that does't require their old cop-out of uninstall and re-install. That mantra has grown pretty thin by now surely.
It happened at a weekend when nobody but basic technicians would be around. Also McAfee rarely if ever emails its customers. In the past when it has its been accused of spamming people, so they stopped.
The problem was already sorted out yesterday by late afternoon (Eastern time zone, Canada) and posted in the FAQ's and big red alert on the support page too much earlier than I was aware there was even a problem in the first place.
In answer to your questions:
1. How would we know, they don't tell us that information, this forum is staffed mainly by volunteers - all I know is it was a customer who pointed out the FAQ to me in the first place, around lunchtime yesterday.
2. I don't think it's that old - DAT 6807 was the bad one I think and I am only in 6809, 6808 having been skipped.
3. Once again, it was the weekend. However late yesterday afternoon management did take over. The announcement at the top of the Home section was posted then. So I assume support alerted them.
4. Again time is unknown but the fix FAQ was in place almost immediately.
5. They are extensively tested but problems can sometimes slip through. It's unfortunate but true. If you read other software forums the same questions are asked there.
Thanks for the kind words for the Moderators and good luck ;)Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/08/12 2:16:21 EDT PM
Thank you, I uninstalled and reinstalled everything and it's all fixed I now have 6809 and the scan and updates are working fine.
Glad you are OK now ;)
Hello - here is my situation:
MVT checked - no problems
McAfee can check for updates & scan with no problem
Internet connectivity - no problem
HOWEVER, I still receive the little box that states Windows Error that said that my McAfee Updater has closed. It pops up after I bring my computer out hibernation.
Any thoughts.... again EVERYTHING IS WORKING FINE since I downloaded the dat6809 file yesterday.
Message was edited by: kred65 on 20/08/12 13:56:01 CDTon 20/08/12 14:06:15 CDT
The link for posted in the FAQs does NOT work. The link states:
The Document ID you entered was not recognized in our system. Please type the Document ID again, and make sure to use the correct prefix.
It works for me: http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101446
If that popup continues I suggest contacting Technical Support - it's free via phone or online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.
Or you can try the last suggestion in the FAQ.
I think it may be a location issue - in another thread today, a moderator in the UK was able to see the document, but I (in the US) get the "error" page.
Strange...maybe busy servers? Although why I should be so lucky in Canada I have no idea. Here's the content of the FAQ:
Some customers may experience a loss of network connectivity and/or errors in McAfee Security Center after a recent update
All McAfee suites
Affected Operating Systems:
Problem 1After a recent update, customers are unable to access the Internet.
Customers are unable to perform any actions in the McAfee Security Center console. One of the following errors displays when you perform any operation in the McAfee Security Center console such as scans and updates:
This renders the McAfee Security Center console unusable and in some cases causes mcagent.exe to crash.Workaround 1If you are unable to access the Internet after the recent update, uninstall and reinstall your McAfee products.
Workaround 2McAfee has released DAT version 6809 to resolve this issue. Perform the following steps to update to the 6809 DAT:
New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.
Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership: