Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
drewb
Former Member
Message 671 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

SPyron wrote:

drewb,

To correct some misinformation here, this isn't a detection issue. Your point 1 is not related to the issue you're reporting, namely that nothing is detecting mcsvchost as a virus. You have combined two unrelated issues in your point 1.

To address point 2, one of the very likely causes of this issue is a 'race to shutdown'. By this I mean that some OS process is closing down before others can. What this means is you could get this error with any application put in this position; it just happens to be ours this time. We work the issue because, bluntly, it's easier to change a program than an operating system, but the fix to this issue may well mean changes to the OS instead of our app (such as extending times in the registry etc). What this means is that the OS could also be partly responsible, as it's inability to correctly order the shutdown processes and allocate the needed time for each could also be causing this issue. It also means that reinstalling is a good troubleshooting step. When you uninstall the app, restart, and reinstall, it is possible the app will load it's service in a different order, and the issue could be resolved by that. If it doesn't work, than it doesn't wrork, but it's still a good place to start.

There's a lot of heat on this issue, and a lot of attention to resolving it internally. But there's also a lot of misinformation out here. Just trying to help clear it up. To reassure everyone, this issue is not causing anyone to lose data or damaging computers. It's not putting you in an unprotected state. The issue described in this thread is an error at shutdown that a service did not end in a timely fashon, properly, or could not end. Clicking OK and hitting the power button will safely shut the computer down.

Hi Somer,

My response to Nisa was with regard to UK trading standards probable opinion of the Mcafee product we have purchased.  Therefore, this is with regard to Mcafee 2010 Internet Security as a full package, not just isolated errors.  Are you aware of the details of the Sales of Goods act 1985 under UK law?  Anyone in the UK at this point, who requests and is refused a refund, could easily take Mcafee to the small claims court, obtain a refund and hold Mcafee responsible for all court costs.

Are you denying that the 2010 roll out and subsequent update did not corrupt some users operating system to the point where a full reinstall was required?  This WAS caused by Mcafee software.

I never said that mcsvhost.exe shutdown error is causing people pc's to break or that it left them unprotected.  Nonetheless, the product is currently sub-standard as has caused some more serious issues than mcsvhost.exe shutdown error since its introduction.  The fact that Mcafee are reluctantly offering some customers a full refund on repairs is proof of this.

Also, some people are having problems getting the files to update regulary due to the 2010 version wanting the pc inactive prior to installing them.  As a consequence, the updates are not being installed as they should be for all users.

Therefore, the Mcafee 2009 product that I purchased (with many others) and upgraded to 2010 without any consumer interaction fails on the two main points of purchase under uk law (Is it of Merchantible Quality? Is it fit for purpose?)

If you think I misled people under the mcsvhost.exe error, fine correct any misunderstanding.  It doesn't stop the 2010 product in its entirety falling far short of what consumers have a right to expect.

Please stop trying to blame the OS (e.g Windows XP).  Your software is advertised as compatible with XP.  It should have been written to ensure Mcafee program closes down prior to Windows.

The sooner Mcafee as a whole stops making excuses, the quicker the process to fix the problem.

I am one of the lucky ones, I only have the shutdown error.  Thankfully, the more serious errors have passed me by.  Anyway, I have had enough.  I am switching supplier as of today.

Mcafee 2010 isnt good enough for me and I've wasted enough of my life trying to fix it / waiting for a fix.

Drewb

drewb
Former Member
Message 672 of 1,143

This was probably XP's fault as well as it did not affect Windows Vista or Windows 7.

http://www.zdnet.com.au/mcafee-update-causes-windows-xp-crashes-339302603.htm

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 673 of 1,143

Hi Drewb,

The issue reported behind the link you posted is not related to the issue in this thread. The filenames are similar, but not the same and not produced by the same company. The issue you linked is absolutely our problem, and that's why we're offering subscription extensions and some reimbursement of repairs.

I apologize if you took my previous post as an excuse. I was just trying to clarify the issue this thread refers to and help out.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 674 of 1,143

Somer

To address point 2, one of the very likely causes of this issue is a 'race to shutdown'. By this I mean that some OS process is closing down before others can. What this means is you could get this error with any application put in this position; it just happens to be ours this time. We work the issue because, bluntly, it's easier to change a program than an operating system, but the fix to this issue may well mean changes to the OS instead of our app (such as extending times in the registry etc). What this means is that the OS could also be partly responsible, as it's inability to correctly order the shutdown processes and allocate the needed time for each could also be causing this issue. It also means that reinstalling is a good troubleshooting step. When you uninstall the app, restart, and reinstall, it is possible the app will load it's service in a different order, and the issue could be resolved by that. If it doesn't work, than it doesn't wrork, but it's still a good place to start.

If this is Mcafee's answer to this shut down error and saying that the OS could also be partly responsible!!! and may well mean changes to the os instead of our application. Lord above, I bought the McAfee programme as it was supposed to be xp compatible, and now you saying have to change something in my os registry just to suit your programme.      FORGET IT MCAFEE

I am well and truly fed up to the back teeth of Mcafee saying this and saying that, why should we change our registry to suit your programme, this should be the other way round. And yea UK Trading Standards as stated in earlier post is quite right, they would have a field day on this.

I think I have had more than enough of this now, it seems to me that McAfee are not going to do anything about this whatsoever, not even a roll back to a programme that worked with no problems. This programme does not work FULL STOP and yea if I sound somewhat mad. I am extremely annoyed at McAfee to boiling point now.

As trading standards say a full refund or a replacement, the replacement being 2009 programme! Its as simple as that.

As regards to uninstall and installing. I have done that around 4 times.

georgieb
Former Member
Message 675 of 1,143

I have to somewhat agree with your point re. SPyron’s comments on OS culpability.

The XP OS was already out there with whatever existing “shutdown processes” fully capable of accommodating the Mcafee 2009 version (i.e. correctly ordered shutdown, appropriate time allocated, one assumes, based on the absence of said “McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown” error.

The XP OS “failed?” in this ability when Mcafee 2010 was introduced? because ? Mcafee 2010 had different requirements not accommodated in the XP OS ? & this was going to be accommodated how ???? Shouldn’t Mcafee 2010 be accommodating the existing Operating Systems & not vice-versa? Perhaps SPyron didn’t mean exactly how this sounded.

In any case, I’ve cancelled my auto-renewal. I have some time yet to consider but some of the feedback I’ve seen confounds logic & I’m no longer sure what if anything is Mcafee’s understanding of this (possibly) minor problem. My concerns relate to the next “major” problem (given a recent event) & how it will be handled based on what’s happening here. Pity ! With a few blips, not a bad product till now but it has me nervous & my “Security Product” shouldn’t make me “nervous”.

Gene
Former Member
Message 676 of 1,143

That seems to be the way it works. Sometimes I get the error and sometimes I don't. It's not consistent.

Peacekeeper
Message 677 of 1,143

On my 2 win 7 PCs 1 in 5 shutdowns hang as asus probe does not want to shutdown pretty. I just click force close at least your issue it auto closes in 10 seconds. Mcafee is working on it and I reemailed about every1 in the mcafee list who can assist to refresh the urgncy/time gone on this.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 678 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

Total waste of time I did it myself on my son in Law's PC it fixed it till the next update. I think I know how to clean up bits and pices as well so the PC was clean of Mcafee before reinstallation. You got a case number you would have been given it when you logged on?

Yes - Service Request #: 503765253

Also , it seems the person I chatted with changed my settings back to the defaults in the Security Center when they had access to my system.

Message was edited by: jmckee on 5/15/10 6:07:12 PM CDT
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 679 of 1,143

georgieb wrote:

I have to somewhat agree with your point re. SPyron’s comments on OS culpability.

The XP OS was already out there with whatever existing “shutdown processes” fully capable of accommodating the Mcafee 2009 version (i.e. correctly ordered shutdown, appropriate time allocated, one assumes, based on the absence of said “McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown” error.

The XP OS “failed?” in this ability when Mcafee 2010 was introduced? because ? Mcafee 2010 had different requirements not accommodated in the XP OS ? & this was going to be accommodated how ???? Shouldn’t Mcafee 2010 be accommodating the existing Operating Systems & not vice-versa? Perhaps SPyron didn’t mean exactly how this sounded.

In any case, I’ve cancelled my auto-renewal. I have some time yet to consider but some of the feedback I’ve seen confounds logic & I’m no longer sure what if anything is Mcafee’s understanding of this (possibly) minor problem. My concerns relate to the next “major” problem (given a recent event) & how it will be handled based on what’s happening here. Pity ! With a few blips, not a bad product till now but it has me nervous & my “Security Product” shouldn’t make me “nervous”.

I Couldn't agree more it makes me far too nervous now, I certainly not going to auto renew. Had a word with some of my friends who have McAfee and have not upgraded yet, they have seen all this thread and they have now cancelled, and looking elsewhere. And McAfee if you think this is damaged reporting this and i think the boot is on the other foot. and you only have yourself to blame. Messing around with registry is not a good thing at all, this makes more than nervous to think what the next update and upgrade will do to my PC. The more I talk and think about i will uninstall for good.

cranheim
Former Member
Message 680 of 1,143

After reading about all the possibilities causing this problem, I realize I do not have the software expertise to test various potential fixes. I will have to wait to see if McAfee comes up with the correct solution. I would think McAfee would be able to duplicate the problem that so many others are having. If it doesn't get fixed by the time my present software expires, I will probably do what others have suggested, and go with another anti-virus program. I have been a user of McAfee for many years, and would like to continue to do so, but not at the risk of losing my operating system (Windows XP Home Edition w/SP3 and all the latest fixes from MS.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community