cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cburrows
Former Member
Message 631 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown - Error has returned

Wow, did we actually get a reply from McAfee about the problem?  Yes, as all have told me, finally on day four since my clean reinstall of McAfee the error McSvHost.exe has returned when I recently shutdown my PC.  Sorry to all who I got excited with the hope of a fix.  I am encouraged though, at least we have finally got thru to McAfee with all our posts and they are working on the problem (ref. Steerpike_ca May 12, 2010).  Keep this post going and maybe we will get that fix soon.

Question to Steerpike_ca - why not allow everyone that wants to, roll back our McAfee 2010 subscription to McAfee 2009????

Message was edited by: cburrows on 5/12/10 11:03:36 AM CDT

Message was edited by: cburrows on 5/12/10 11:04:06 AM CDT
saab900
Contributor
Message 632 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Hi All,

After downloading 2010 on that fateful Wednesday, my pc crashed during a virus scan the same evening.  In the end had to get my PC looked at, reformat and re-installed windows advised and then carried out. When PC returned I reinstalled wireless internet connections then McAfee.  After the reinstall I was occasionally getting the message on closedown BUT not for the last seven days now (TOUCH WOOD).  I seem to be okay now, I have submitted a claim and waiting for a response (thanks for letting me know peacekeeper - appreciated).

Hopefully this matter will be resolved soon for all.

Regards to all  

Mullie
Former Member
Message 633 of 1,143

Am I missing something,

I had to have a complete reinstall I then downloaded the Beta version so I had a fresh windows xp and the latest McAfee but I still get the close down error,

also How do I get my repar bill  refunded ??? as no comunication has come from McAfee.

Peacekeeper
Message 634 of 1,143

Beta still has the issue Steer_pike said they are working on it. BTW he is our Tech we talk to daily and he has been updated on this thread daily as well. Re refund/costs form on main site but atm US/ Canada only. Will take a while but they will honor their commitment

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 13/05/10 6:54:03 AM
Gene
Former Member
Message 635 of 1,143

Personally, I don't think the uninstall-clean-reinstall is much of an answer. McAfee introduced this error with the 2010 version, and it doesn't happen on every shutdown. Sometimes I get the error for 2 or 3 shutdowns, and then I go a couple of shutdowns without the error.

It took me at least 2 weeks to start seeing the error after the new version was installed by automatic update. In addition, there are tons of McAfee customers who don't even know about this forum. I'm sure many corporate customers are still using XP, along with about half the PC's out there. It's still the most common platform.

This problem has be solved by an automatic update so that it fixes ALL the computers with the problem.

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/12/10 4:53:38 PM CDT

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/12/10 9:13:42 PM CDT
dougk_t3
McAfee Employee
McAfee Employee
Message 636 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown - Error has returned

That's a good question cburrows, and we've been wrestling with getting an answer.  Specifically, we have been arguing for months to get a functionality to allow people to go back to the previous version (in this case, the 2009 product) and stay there until we knew their issue was resolved (at which point they'd go back with the regular customers that get the auto-upgrade).  So far no luck, but we haven't given up.

Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 637 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown - HERE IS THE ANSWER

No. The removal tool is inacurate; otherwise, it would work when the installation of the software upgrades is performed.

"mcnetcln" is a cleaning tool, an application purposed to remove any and all McAfee networking traces from the registry [and obviously the hard drive]. I found it also removed all but the most recent data packages, leaving the McAfee product in a 'virgin' state.

However, this cleaning tool can't correct the actual script error which is causing the memory write error for which this thread was created.

Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 638 of 1,143

Perhaps, you should focus your attention on computers with multiple user accounts but only one user with [Windows] "Administrator" access.

Wetmoref2
Contributor III
Message 639 of 1,143

Mezzy,

That disk you used to reinstall your programs is not an actual install disk.

That's the fundamental problem with purchasing computers from Dell, Staples and other such retailers rather than a licensed computer and software sales retailer.

The disk you used is a start-up disk which is used to reach a portion of the DOS, opening files to install partial operating systems and trial version software. Once the computer is connected to the internet, Windows Update [or the Apple Update] will automatically install the complete operating system. Likewise, any trial version software for which you paid to upgrade, will update too.

You pay a few hundred dollars for hardware and dozens of dollars for incomplete software -- and you get screwed whenever there is an operational event.

You pay a thousand dollars for hardware and a few hundred dollars for software, you can format your drive and begin as new so long as the hardware is intact. Even then, replace the hardware, you still have the software to install.

Keep your hardware clean and undamaged; likewise, keep your software in a secure location... and always remember to regular back-up your personal files and keep them secure.

woody79_00
Former Member
Message 640 of 1,143

I have personally found a simple fix for this issue that has worked for myself and for 5 other family members that run McAfee software. I'll post it and you guys can try it, it has worked here.

From what I can tell, the error is caused by DEP(Data Execution Prevention) which is slightly different on Windows XP SP2/3 then it is on Vista/7 to fix the issue on XP machines I done the following:

1. Right-click on the My Computer Icon and Select Properties

2. Click the Advanced Tab

3. Under the Performance Heading Click the Settings button.

4. Click the Data Execution Prevention Tab

5. Click the Add Button.

6. in the dialog box browse to C:\Program Files\Common Files\McAfee\McSvcHost\

7. highlight the McSvHost.exe file and click open

8. it will show up in the list box now. Click Apply and then click OK

9 Restart the computer for changes to take effect.

I have found this to resolve the issue for me on my XP based computers. the error message should quit showing up at shutdown after applying this fix.

I hope this helps someone out there, your results may vary with this, if it doesn't work you can just follow these steps again and highlight the McSvHost.exe in the dialog box and remove it if doesn't work for you. If it works for ya please reply and let folks know. I am just curious to see if this fixes it for anyone else because this has worked for me.

Take care

Woody

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community