cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 321 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

That's another thing. I get McAfee updates throughout the time I have my computer on. Sometimes I am playing "speed" bridge tourneys.

They are against robots. I pay for them. Well there goes the speed...all the cards now start floating to the table in a leisurely fashion.

Supposed to be faster updates with less interference since  the newer platform came out.

Just discouraging.

I am not doing anything more right now, because I simply don't have the energy to deal with it.

It's an annoying error, but there are multiple other issues with McAfee and getting support has always been problematic, like the time I got the phone bill for $200 plus on my regular bill....my call to McAfee support.

terri

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 322 of 1,143

They are aware that people aren't happy with this situation.  re: that phone bill, always use the online Chat and if anyone is going to phone anyone let them phone you.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/04/10 5:35:13 EDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 323 of 1,143

tmgrl4 wrote:

That's another thing. I get McAfee updates throughout the time I have my computer on. Sometimes I am playing "speed" bridge tourneys.

They are against robots. I pay for them. Well there goes the speed...all the cards now start floating to the table in a leisurely fashion.

Supposed to be faster updates with less interference since  the newer platform came out.

Just discouraging.

I am not doing anything more right now, because I simply don't have the energy to deal with it.

It's an annoying error, but there are multiple other issues with McAfee and getting support has always been problematic, like the time I got the phone bill for $200 plus on my regular bill....my call to McAfee support.

terri

If you play your game in full screen mode McAfee automatically backs off all tasks so that should not be happening at all.

To the other posters: scans will occur immediately on bootup if  a scan is scheduled during that shutdown period, answer is to change the schedule or turn it off altogether and just do manual scans.

To the complaint that updates occur almost every day, they occur daily for a reason, to keep you safe.  It used to be weekly but that meant a) you could be exposed in the meanwhile and b) the updates, when they occurred were that much bigger, thereby being more of a nuisance.

I'll list the other items mentioned and the answers from above....

box version is just the old version 9 with updates, I decided to re-install using the install from web option.” If he installed from CD, he would have been upgraded to Pearl anyway – no need to uninstall just to reinstall the same thing…

Windows Update problem was not a windows problem, but a McAfee problem” Really?  What specifically is he talking about?  We don’t interfere with Windows Update, and actively encourage you to set your system to automatically install MS updates if you’ve changed the setting.

Supposed to be faster updates with less interference since  the newer platform came out.Not sure where this info came from but it’s incorrect.  Yes, one of the 2010’s mandates was to increase performance, but we’re talking about time to boot, time to open web pages, minimize memory and CPU consumption usage, etc.  AFAIK, download performance wasn’t one of the criteria.

I totally agree aobut the phone bill – no customer should have to pay for the phone charges when calling McAfee, at least not IMHO.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 20/04/10 6:37:47 EDT PM
tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 324 of 1,143

I do have autoupdates for Windows. I also check periodically on my own and run the Custom...to select what else I want...for a whole day after the new McAfee came, I couldn't connect.  It went away. So it wasn't a McAfee problem ...since I can't make a cause and effect relationship just because the other problems started at same time.

It was the Windows tech that found this forum for me and identified it through my giving him the error message.

I run my Bridge website on a free-standing Windows version, but even if I play through IE, the BBO online version, full-screen play slows down as soon as McAfee starts to download updates.

I know that more frequent updates means less likely to have trouble.

I am still waiting....as I said.

terri

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 325 of 1,143

I believe it was the McAfee tutorial that popped up that said...faster downloads, less interference...maybe not exact words, but I thought...Great!!  I won't get slowed down during bridge play.

Not AS bad as it was, but I always hope I don't have a download during a tournament.

terri

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 326 of 1,143

The phone bill thing...that only happened that once. I wouldn't have dared call again....I use only online contact now.

Learned my lesson. The idea was, there was no upfront notification that I was going to be billed an exhorbitant sum for the call, which didn't resolve the problem.  The first half of the call, they made me go through again, all that I had already done.

Anyhow, that's in the past. I think software companies, in general, have become more responsive to the needs of customers re resolution of problems.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 327 of 1,143

Well they certainly are trying to improve things but it takes time.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 328 of 1,143

That slowdown while playing shouldn't happen but I'm not too technical I'm afraid.  The best people to answer that riddle would be Tech Support Chat.

n6wk
Former Member
Message 329 of 1,143

You are Kidding Right?  The Chat and Tech support guys don't know Crap. They don't even use English as a First Language.

Who in heck uses 3rd world non-english speaking tech support people? Only those that don't Support their Products, in My opinion!!

This is Ridiculous! McAfee should NOT put us all through this stuff. Either fix it within 24 hours or issue all of us  aFULL refund.

Last time I let them mess around in my compouter, they tied it up for almost an hour and then tried to ay it was a Microsoft problem. It wasn't, It was a McAfee problem.

I will NOT renew when the time comes.

I want my Money back !!!!

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 330 of 1,143

So ..... regarding  the McAfee update "fix" that was installed several days back and required computer restart and which, in the end, fixed nothing:  what is McAfee's plan to make the software right? Do they expect there will be a new fix that will work in the very near future? And when in the future might that be? Or can we expect to be strung along for another six months with the same old error continuing? This has really gone beyond any reasonable expectation for any competent software company and any reasonable patience level for users. If McAfee can't fix its own code, why should we expect that it is even doing the "Total Protection" it claims to be doing and for which we paid? We're told it is only an unimportant irritation, but how do we know that is true?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community