Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geode
Former Member
Message 11 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Add me also to this error on shutdown.

The 2010 install caused me so much grief last week (BSOD, etc), that I started last night with a CLEAN (fresh install) after running Dell Diagnostics for a day with NO hardware errors.

XP Pro SP3 - fully patched

DSL connected.

Only installed Virus Scan, Firewall, and SiteAdvisor (don't need parental control, spam, on-line backup junk).

Nothing else "trick" has been installed yet (no drivecrypt or threatfire or multimedia, etc).  Just trying to get through this upgrade before I spend days getting my computer back to the way I liked it.

Should have stayed with 2009

Message was edited by: Geode on 2/19/10 2:32:19 PM CST
kmrahul1
Former Member
Message 12 of 1,143

Graffin,

What you have mentioned is correct. This is a new service integrated in MSC 2010. In 2009 it was a independent process named "McMscSvc.exe”". Now it has been changed to a dll which is hosted by McSvHost.exe.

Users who all are facing this issue please let me know the following details.

• How did you install 2010 version?
  • Is it a fresh installation or is it a over installation on MSC 2009?
  • How much is your system RAM.
  • DO you have too many programs running on start up?

Please reply me with following details. If possible get a screen shot of message as well.

gregpierce
Former Member
Message 13 of 1,143

Ok here's the info you wanted:

• How did you  install 2010 version?

I installed this from mcafee.com on my account page.

• Is it a fresh installation or is it a over  installation on MSC 2009?

Fresh install.

1GB (actually 2GB as of yesterday)

• DO you have too many  programs running on start up?

Absolutely not! I'm a nazi when it comes to my msconfig/startup.  There are literally 4 items max.

Also noteworthy, this occured on another laptop yesterday. So this is 2 fresh installs downloaded from mcafee.com account page. Same problem. Both XP Pro machines (one tablet, one not. they are both i945GM running T2050 1.66GHz CPU, but all other hardware is different). Both machines are very clean fresh images, with minimal services running (indexing off, themes off, remote registry off, help & support off, fast user switching off, error reporting off) and extra components removed.

Thanks!

kmrahul1
Former Member
Message 14 of 1,143

Thanks for the quick response. Let me discuss this issue and I'll get back to you by Monday.

kmrahul1
Former Member
Message 15 of 1,143

One more question?

Running Windows XP SP3 - recently McAfee Total Protection was updated to the 2010 version and now everytime I shutdown my PC, I get a dialog box saying McSvHost.exe can't access a reference in memory (or something to that effect)."

Did you uninstall 2009 version completely before installing 2010? 

gregpierce
Former Member
Message 16 of 1,143

Neither of mine were updates from 2009, both were fresh installs with no previous mcafee.  I think someone else that posted was an upgrade from 2009, but not me. Cheers

kmrahul1
Former Member
Message 17 of 1,143

Oops  .

I am sorry. I thought it was Graffin .

I'll get back to you on Monday with a work around.

Thanks in advance...

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 18 of 1,143

Rahul,

I installed after running the clean-up tool and the pre-install tool. Only Virus Scan and Firewall were selected. I've done this twice now.

RAM = 1GB

I keep startups to a minimum - I think about 4 or 5.

Can't get a snapshot because the machine is shutting down but the fault window is entitled "McSvHost - Application Error" with content "The instruction at 6280436a referenced memory at 07.....    " - can't read any more in the time available. The instruction address is always the same but the memory address varies somewhat after the first 2 digits.

kmrahul1
Former Member
Message 19 of 1,143

From the posts I can see that the problem is complicated and Pc needs to be checked by a technician. Please boot your PC into safe mode with networking and contact us through McAfee chat support.

http://service.mcafee.com/LocaleSelect.aspx?lc=1033&sg=CS&pt=1&st=CHAT

• If the computer is running, shut down Windows, and then turn off the power
  • Wait 30 seconds, and then turn the computer on.
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode with networking option is selected.
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
  • When you are finished with all troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.
Windows Vista

• Turn the computer on or Restart the computer
  • Start tapping the F8 key. The Windows Advanced Boot Options Menu appears. If you begin tapping the F8 key too soon, some computers display a "keyboard error" message. To resolve this, restart the computer and try again.
  • Ensure that the Safe mode with networking option is selected (the top option)
  • Press Enter. The computer then begins to start in Safe mode.
  • When you are finished with troubleshooting, close all programs and restart the computer as you normally would.

Graffin75
Former Member
Message 20 of 1,143

Sorry for the slack reply... been away for a couple of days.

• How did you install 2010 version?

It downloaded and installed itself... I didn't have any choice!

• Is it a fresh installation or is it a over installation on MSC 2009?

Obviously installed over MSC 2009... but I only have Security Center, VirusScan, Personal Firewall and AntiSpam installed

2Gb DDR2

• DO you have too many programs running on start up?

Only the bare minimum... only McAfee, nVidia video & audio drivers (5 icons appear in my system tray)

As i've said in my opening post... the Application Error dialog box appears almost every time on Shutdown... if you click to close it, or just wait about 10-15 seconds, the computer will shutdown anyway. So, it's more of a nag or annoyance than anything, but it would be great if it was fixed and didn't happen!

Message was edited by: Graffin75 on 2/22/10 8:17:31 AM CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community