cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 191 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

I have XP with SP3. Never installed Vista.   Should I install Windows 7?  Am I asking for more problems if I try this?

If problem isn't there with Windows 7, I guess I would have to uninstall McAfee before I install Windows 7? Then reinstall McAfee.

I do not have to click on the "ok" either for my computer to shut down. Takes about 10 seconds and it shuts down anyhow.

terri

sceptical
Former Member
Message 192 of 1,143

XP - SP3.  Just wondering how many folks with this problem have some sort of Google app installed, such as Google Earth.  I was having the same shutdown problem.  While doing some troubleshooting I noticed that multiple instances of GoogleUpdate (I had Earth installed) were running at boot time.  Looking further, I found that Google had really infiltrated my system with two scheduled tasks, startup entries, loads of registry entries, folders in Application Data and folders in Program Files.

I removed Earth from my system, and then proceeded to remove every instance of Google that I could find.  Since then (yesterday), I've had 3 shutdowns without the problem.

For what it's worth...

EDIT

Nope - this wasn't it after all.  Problem returned after 48 hours.  At least all of the Google unwelcome / uninvited crap is gone now.

Message was edited by: sceptical on 4/1/10 8:17:30 AM MDT
Foxy
Former Member
Message 193 of 1,143

Back on March 8/10 I too posted the same complaint on this site. However, I have stumbled upon

something. It may be a coincidence but here goes:

I have Windows XP  SP 3.    I installed a free anti-virus calles Avira and I got it from this

site http://www.free-av.com/  I installed this while McAfee was still installed on my system.

I ran a scan using the Avira.  A couple of items came up and were deleted.  I then used the

MCPR tool to remove McAfee and kept using Avira for a couple of days.  I then removed

Avira from my add/remove programs and reinstalled McAfee from the McAfee site under

my account.  Haven't had a problem since and that was 3 weeks ago. I can't tell you  if

the other anit-virus program found something that McAfee didn't or what. But it would be

interesting to see if someone could try this to see if they have the same results.  What

have you got to loose at this point.

If someone does try this, please post your results so I will know.

n6wk
Former Member
Message 194 of 1,143

I too am receiving this Error on shut down. Windows XP with SP3.

I tried the removal tool but as soon as I re-install McAfee, the error returns on Shut down.

It is very annoying  and I hope McAfee has a Fix soon.

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 195 of 1,143

Sceptical....I tried what you did.  I didn't go into any registry files, but I did uninstall Google Earth, Google Chrome and Google Updater, none of which I use...and, you are right, there are always Google updates putting things on my desktop.

Then I restarted my computer.

I tried to run Virtual Technician, but it wouldn't let me..showing errors. So I then deleted McAfee (I have only Virus Scan Plus which includes Firewall)

Then I ran the MCPR cleanup tool. Last thing it cleaned out was, oddly enough, McSvHost.exe.

Then, I restarted my computer again.

I reinstalled McAfee. Checked for updates. It installed some.

Restarted computer again.

Once I deleted McAfee and even after I reinstalled and restarted it ...so far on the restart shutdown I did not get the error message, while before I got it even on restarts.

I opened Task Mananger.

Interesting..I don't see McSvHost.Exe in Applications that are running, but when I go to processes I see McSvHost.exe activity going on and off.

So, tonight we will see what happens at shutdown.

I had a feeling it was a program that it was not mixing with well.

I also went into my docs since McSvHost.exe, when I searched as wild card, brought up almost 3000 files, many of which were in My document files.

I deleted about ten PDF files for courses I have taken. They are saved to CD, so figured, why clutter my doc files with those.

Worth trying these things....if it comes back, I will wait again.

Don't want to jump to Windows 7, since I never installed Vista, just kept my XP, but do have IE8.

terri

Thanks for suggestion! Wouldn't it be nice if this is why some of us with XP have it and others not.

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 196 of 1,143

Foxy, I will see first how the Google removal works.  Then I will try your suggestion as well. One thing at a time.

Going to shutdown now and see what happens....since I don't need to be online till 7 tonight.

terri

PCFriend
Former Member
Message 197 of 1,143

Hi to all,

After having gone through all the A - Z methods used by Mcafee tech support,remote log in sessions, uploading of log files etc etc as all you have also done so far.These are my observations.

1. The Mcafee tech support is handled by an outsourced <McAfee Tier2 Escalations [McAfee.tier2Escalations@SutherlandGlobal.com]> who have staff who have basic of knowledge of OS,networking,virus removal,installation of mcafee products etc & it is limited to that.This is the reason they keep asking for this & that from the customer to close the ticket for that session.

2. The best they do is to escalate to so called tier2 or tier2.5 who also have the same knowledge except that they might have been in the same job for few years more.

3. As I see, the matter is not in their capacity to solve as this is an issue created by the group of programers who have developed this module for macfee & they are the one's to be put to fireworks to face the heat,which rarely happens as they are well insulated.The programer knows how to re-create this on his system without having to have all these data from us & also knows to find solution.But for the pampering,they are producing worst quality of products.

4. It is clear now that the problem is not escalated to the programming guys or they are sleeping over it,hence until the user comes out on his own with a solution or Mcafee pushes the programmers to find a fix before it is too late this problem will remain un-resolved & we keep getting run around replies from tech support.

5. I have today found out the Mcafee cosumer PR executive's e-mail & mailed to him all the details & a copy of this community blog link for them to see & act.

In the mean time keepour fingers crossed.

In the meantime you can try at your own risk disabling McSVhost.exe in XP by going to controlpanel>adminstrative tools>services>Mcafeeservces>properties>stop service>recovery>select none in all failure boxes>apply & ok. close all screens.

Eric
Former Member
Message 198 of 1,143

Is MacAfee actually working on a fix for this? It seems like a long time now since this problem was discovered. I also had the problem with the creation of a desktop icon and that wasn't pleasant working with a few of the support techies to try and get that fixed. Not sure if you're actually talking to a person or just a computer with pre-set responses. I wouldn't even consider contacting them to fix the shutdown error problem, but from reading a lot of these posts, I would hope they have a patch to fix it soon. Anyone know the status?

Message was edited by: Eric on 31/03/10 6:10:12 CDT PM

Message was edited by: Eric on 31/03/10 6:10:54 CDT PM
n6wk
Former Member
Message 199 of 1,143

Eric,

I agree. I have had a couple of experiences with the " Techs" at McAfee to try and solve a problem. They always have a canned response and don't actually seem to have any clue as to what they are doing.

Maybe they are all located in India some where???

I think it is time McAfee steps up and solves this issue. We all pay good money for their product, yet the support sucks, to say the least!

I have been a supporter of McAfee for years and have recommended it to all my customers, but unless this is fixed very soon, I will no longer be doing that.

BalaSGS
Former Member
Message 200 of 1,143

Hi, everyone this is to inform you that we are working on this issue. However, we would like to share few observations with all of you.

Steps & finding:

-          Check if you had any issue with Malware or alert in the computer

-          Check if you made any recent changes with Printer

-          Check if made any recent changes to the network connection

-          Check if this issue happens very frequent or happen once in day.

-          Make sure you windows are up to date with latest patch.

-          Our Tier 2 & Tier 2.5 team is looking for some information (Logs and windows Crash dump)

We are trying our best to help you guys. Please share you finding with our tech support.

I will keep you guys posted with solution ASAP.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community