Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nikolai
Former Member
Message 1051 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Hey Peacekeeper

Got the update to SC195 / FW135 on the 18th August and have not had the error since then, so looking good for me.

Thanks to you and the others for the persistence - still not going to renew though after such a long wait with too many false dawns.

Nikolai

Peacekeeper
Message 1052 of 1,143

Pity sorry to lose you there were 10 issues within this issue so it was hard to nail down.

nsquire

Sorry those versions are too far back to have the fix. . Why I haven't seen SC build 189 in ages what is the date on the security centre's Last update?

Acela
Former Member
Message 1053 of 1,143

Windows XP SP 3 IE8 Dial Up Connection

I have a Dell laptop and live in the USA. On 8/5/10 my security center was updated to version 10.5 through an automatic McAfee update.

Since the update I have had the McSvHost.exe error on shutdown. Two phone calls to chat support have not been productive.

The first rep tried a remote fix that did not work and the second rep told me to uninstall and then reinstall McAfee - something I am reluctant to do because it is so time consuming with a dial up connection.

Since the 8/5/10 installation virus scan has been updated on several occasions.

However, I have received no updates to the security center still at build 10.5.194 or the personal firewall - build 11.5.131

Two questions:

(1) When can I expect to get the security center and personal firewall updates that address the problem.

(2) Why did McAfee do the update on 8/5/10 when the McSvHost.exe error was a known problem?

This is the first time I have experienced a problem with McAfee and I am not happy with the time involved in trying to resolve the problem.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1054 of 1,143

Hi Acela,

I will do some research and find out when you, as a Dell customer, can expect to get the update. In the meantime, here are the answers to your questions:

1) The delay comes from partners, like Dell, usually want more time to test a major update before it rolls out to their customers.

2) There was no single cause of this issue. The McSvcHost file is just a generic host processs, a shell, for other processes. When it ends incorrectly, it doesn't cause damage to any other processes, and the system will restart it. Like Windows SvcHost.exe, it's just a name to give a process that has no other name; A generic name for the shell process.

MANY things can cause the shell process to terminate. In troubleshooting this issue over many months, we found more than 10 causes. We rolled out many fixes, which would resolve the issue for some, but not others. The issue existed before the 8/5/10 update, so holding that update would not have made a difference. Additionally, most users never had this problem. By holding the update, we would have held back other improvements that were needed too.

I'll get back to you ASAP with a date, and worst case scenario, we can help you get around that in another way.

Peacekeeper
Message 1055 of 1,143

We can also email you the two files and steps that fixes it if you are worried. The patch will come though and somer will answer you soon when she finds out the info.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 1056 of 1,143

Oops, sorry all. I sent a private message pretty much saying what PeaceKeeper just said.

nsquire
Former Member
Message 1057 of 1,143

@peacekeeper

Date of last update of SC: 24-6-2010

Regards

Peacekeeper
Message 1058 of 1,143

Gees mate that is old. Been several updates since then I would try an uninstall reinstall via the removal tool as mentioned in usful links tab above. Before you reinstall run the preinstall tool.

Is this a mcafee purchase or via an ISP free version?

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/08/10 6:52:58 PM
nsquire
Former Member
Message 1059 of 1,143

@peacekeeper

Your suggestions have all the makings of a Toyota-callback story.

It's not my responsibility to reinstall, it's McAfee's (or should I say Intel).

I'll only reinstall if McAfee provides a one-click solution with

a rollback facility. A standard Setup and Windows Installer would also

suffice.

Regards

Peacekeeper
Message 1060 of 1,143

Reinstall is easy no roll back though just their installer to use. Actually 1st poster I have seen with old SC. I can ask the techs but I know their 1st comment would be has he tried uninstall/reinstall.

I asked if yours supplied by mcafee ie bought from them or suppied by an isp/Dell

Nothing like toyota.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community