Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 951 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

saab900,

Please send me a private message with the email address you purchased your products with, your full name, and your phone number. I'll see what I can find out about your receipt!

Thanks!!

saab900
Contributor
Message 952 of 1,143

Hi Somer,

Many thanks for the offer of assistence.

It was a week ago that I sent the receipt for the repair after the helpdesk confirmed the faxes were not received.

I've now sent another email to the helpdesk requesting confirmation it has now been received.

I've included a scanned PDF file that includes the receipt.

Once again, many thanks for your trime and attention - it is appreciated

Saab900

ps nice pic

saab900
Contributor
Message 953 of 1,143

Hi,

Just received email from McAfee confirming that they have now received the PDF file and I have been given a tracking number.

Many thanks to all for the assistence.

Saab900

TechnoWolf
Former Member
Message 954 of 1,143

Okay, here we go...

I've purchased Mcafee Total Protection less than a week ago, and up to now have had no problems.

Yesterday, Mcafee detected a trojan on a CD I popped in the drive, and said to restart to stop the trojan.  I did.  When coming back up, I had the McSvHost error message:

McSvHost-error.JPG

After a few shutdowns followed by some strange behavior with desktop icons having additional background graphic noise and windows opening windowed, not fullscreen (not remembering my preferences) and restarting the system many times, this message went away, so did the glitches.  I scanned with Mcafee and it found no problems.

Today, I scanned with "SUPERAntiSpyware" and it found 2 instances of something it labeled "Disabled.SecurityCenterOption".  They were 2 registry entries concerning the notifier windows uses to notify you that either your firewall or antivirus is turned off.  McAfee was on, so.... I figured it was a false positive, but I posted the following in THEIR forums:

I'm running WinXP SP3 with all current windows updates, and  SuperAntiSpyware Program Version 4.41.1000; Definitions Core:5315,  Trace:3127.  I am also running current and updated McAfee "Total  Protection" which includes the firewall.
I also recently received the "Disabled.SecurityCenterOption" threats  displayed after a full scan. It cited both the Antivirus and Firewall  Security Center notifier registry entries.
I immediately came here and saw some threads, including this one.  I  went back and checked my Security Center, and the Firewall and Antivirus  were turned on (including Windows Firewall).  Automatic updates were  set to automatically download, but to check with me before installing  them.  I changed that setting to be fully automated, restarted my  system, reran the SuperAntiSpyware scan, and unlike the other posts I've  read here, had the exact same threats result.
I am now concerned that something very stealthy could be messing with my system.

After that post in their forums, I ran another detection tool called MBAM.  It detected the same 2 registry entries, disabling the notifier that tells you if your antivirus or firewall is off.  I went ahead and had MBAM remove, "repair" the entries.

FROM THE MBAM LOG:

Registry Data Items Infected:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\AntiVirusDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Security Center\FirewallDisableNotify (Disabled.SecurityCenter) -> Bad: (1) Good: (0) -> Quarantined and deleted successfully.

Upon completion, MBAM said it needed to restart, and BINGO, I had the McSvHost.exe error again.  At this point, I have it EVERY time I shut down.  Also worth mentioning is that when I scan with SuperAntiSpyware or MBAM at this point, they find nothing.

Could this McSvHost.exe issue be related to the "Disabled.SecurityCenterOption threats", or possibly the trojan Mcafee found, or one or the other, or not related to each-other at all??

I've been a computer geek since the Commodore VIC-20, and I can say that usually everything IS related.

Hopefully this provides some insights?

I'm waiting for a reply here before I pull the trigger and just reformat my hard drive......  HELP!!!

Message was edited by: TechnoWolf on 8/4/10 5:31:56 PM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 955 of 1,143

No the message is just there some XP sp3/2 users get it every shutdown some like me 1 in 20 shutdowns.

The fix is now out there as mentioned but due to throttling will take a while to get there.

Surest way is to uninstall reinstall but from the australian server look for Sc version of 10.5.195.3 or if you want I can email you the manual fix if you cannot wait.

Re the registry issue are you saying VS kept finding it but did not repair it but MWAB did?

TechnoWolf
Former Member
Message 956 of 1,143

No, MBAM and SuperAntiSpyware both found the registry issue, independently of each-other.  Either would have removed it, but I used MBAM to remove.  Mcafee did NOT detect the issue when it was present after a full scan!

Message was edited by: TechnoWolf on 8/5/10 8:51:22 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 957 of 1,143

Thanks passed this onto the security manager

TechnoWolf
Former Member
Message 958 of 1,143

Thanks, Peacekeeper.

So, I've just come up from a full reformat and the McSvHost.exe shutdown error persists...

I think I'll take that manual fix if you want to email it to me.  Is there anything special I need to do with it or consider?

Regards

Peacekeeper
Message 959 of 1,143

You can wait but if you don't want to fix in email to you

Peacekeeper
Message 960 of 1,143

Ok marked this as assumed answered as we finally have a fix online and being throttled down to users.

Could take a couple weeks to get around to all I will though check on Monday with our techs if you can speed things up.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community