Peacekeeper
Message 941 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

The update is still throttled MY wifes PC still not there yet either

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 942 of 1,143

Same thing here - updated to the new SC on 7/22 , no shutdown errors , then in the early morning on 7/25 , the shutdown error hit again.

olf-art
Former Member
Message 943 of 1,143

So ,this error still goes on and on and on and STILL no fix.(68 pages and 133,000 views from as far back as Feb and still the problem exists)

I can't understand WHY people persist with McAfee. I've used McAfee products for over 10years and they've always been a no hassle easy to use product.But not any more.

I've moved on now , thank goodness and I'm now using. A nice ,hassle free ,FREE product.

Peacekeeper
Message 944 of 1,143

Mate they are working on it as Somer mentioned and it appears it is not a single issue. More news tomorrow after our call.

I still say the issue is not significant ie damaging it is annoying but agree 6 mths is too long to have it.

angie2601
Former Member
Message 945 of 1,143

I am getting the same error message on shut down on Windows XP.

Has there been any resolution to this yet ?

I uninstalled / reinstalled mcafee total protection 2010 on 21st July after a seperate error kept popping up. At the time I was not aware the McSv Host.exe error was connected to McAfee.

Where do I find out which version of Security center I have ?

Peacekeeper
Message 946 of 1,143

Open security centre, go to top right the navigation option then about on middle left.

Peacekeeper
Message 947 of 1,143

Ok Mcafee is testing a fix. They are testing inhouse at the moment but they need a couple users who are getting this issue regularly. If you are interested in running the patch and trying it post back please. It is a beta software but will only be offerred if tested as ok internally

drewb
Former Member
Message 948 of 1,143

I still get the error almost every time I shutdown on my laptop.

I would be happy to install patch and report if it removes the error.

Regards

ajmitch
Former Member
Message 949 of 1,143

OK, I'll be a guinea pig for you.  I have two installations on my PC, one for normal use and one for software testing, and I get this error every time on both installs whenever I go to turn the PC off.  

I must say though, that I'm pretty disgusted with McAfee, as here we are, not more than a couple of months before they will be releasing the 2011 version and they still haven't fixed the 2010 version.  What is the 2011 version going to bring with it?

Far too many software companies and web based organisations are making totally incorrect assumptions that everyone jumps onto the latest operating system etc as soon as it's released and accordingly, they release their new software designed around that new OS and very often it doesn't properly support the majority of users who are still using older and more reliable operating systems, such as Windows XP.    We all know that neccessity forces innovation, but companies like Microsoft should stick to writing better software for existing hardware, instead of creating rubbish that requires a hardware upgrade every couple of years. The same applies to McAfee and many others.

Sure, it's all about making money and keeping jobs, but they would do it a lot more effectively if they made products that worked properly first time out of the box.  Would you put up with a car that you had to take back to the garage several times a week for the best part of a year?  I don't think so. 

Computer users are being taken for a ride by the software companies and those companies are getting away with it and laughing at us.   I think that if every dissatisfied software user were to demand a refund due to unusability of the software, then the companies would pretty soon sit up and start taking notice as they would be losing a lot of money.  McAfee must have lost one heck of a lot of customers over the course of this year.  Our company uses the Enterprise version of McAfee, due to company policy, but our IT professionals wouldn't touch it with a barge pole due to it's problems.

Personally, I've used McAfee for years.  Once upon a time it actually worked great.  That was in the days when you could buy the Anti-virus and the Firewall programs in separate boxes.  Then they started integrating things into 'Suites' and that's when it all started to go wrong and instead of making things easier for the end user, just made things a whole lot more confusing, to the extent that you now need a degree in McAfee just to get your programs to access the internet properly.  That's a slight exaggeration, I know, but I think you get the meaning.

Anyway, just tell me what to do and I'll try your beta fix for you.

saab900
Contributor
Message 950 of 1,143

Hi Folks,

I hadn't had the error message for, I believe, over a month, then I got it last night.

My McAfee updated from 10.0.5 to 10.5 a few days ago.

Also, apology as its not part of this thread,

Could McAfee please send me a confirmaion email to say they have received my receipt for repair due to the update in April.

I faxed twice but they didn't receive it.  I emailed instead and although I got an auto read receipt back, it would be nice if I received an actual email.

It would be appreciated.

Many thanks

Saab900

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community