cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
davideo0
Former Member
Message 921 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Just to let you know that I have had one of your techs on the phone who appeared to do a very thorough job of downloading the relevant files for examination.

He also, I believe, carried out an adjustment or two, and on three restarts had, so far, no further errors either on start-up or close-down but I will, of course, be keeping a careful watch to see if it reappears.

I must say, I was impressed by the apparent determination to sort this problem out once and for all.

FYI since our last contact my prog has updated to Build. 10.5.194

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 922 of 1,143

Well my programme has not been updated yet, still on 10.0.580

And why should I keep having to uninstall and download everytime you need an update?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 923 of 1,143

Hey Nisa,

You don't HAVE to download and reinstall, sorry if that wasn't clear. What Peacekeeper means is that when an updated version comes out, it can't go out to 40 million people at once. So what we do is stagger the download. A percentage of users will get the download each week, upgrading the entire customer base over time. Usually we upload the newest version to the account site so that new users get the newest version (no point in putting more people into the queue). By uninstalling/reinstalling, you can usually "force" the newest version to download.

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 924 of 1,143

Glad to hear it David. Please do let me know if you have any other issues.

Quinion
Contributor
Message 925 of 1,143

I received the automatic update to 10.5.194 today.  So patience is rewarded..!

Graffin75
Former Member
Message 926 of 1,143

Nice to know that a 1000 posts later, the problem STILL hasn't been resolved.

My XP desktop STILL gets the error (even after the latest update). It happens less frequently (like every 2nd or 3rd restart/shutdown), but it's still annoying.

Furthermore, I just bought a brand new Asus laptop with Windows 7 Pro (64-bit), so I thought i'd try McAfee on there (since it has 3 licenses). While, there's no dialog box popping up, I have noticed Win7 informing me that a task was still running (McSvHost.exe) and automatically closed it before shutting down. It's only popped up a couple of times, but it doesn't inspire a lot of confidence in the product.

Not only that, but under Win7, the action center flag reports I have no antivirus, no anti-spyware and no firewall running. It takes about 3-5 minutes for McAfee to actually "kick in" and the warnings to disappear from the action center. I guess that means i'm unprotected for those few minutes.

I've used McAfee for many many years, but i'm absolutely fed up with its poor performance.

And yes, I did clean installs on both my desktop & laptop. I used MCPR.exe. I even downloaded the latest builds from my McAfee user account.

The problem is obvious. It's the McSvHost.exe service. It wasn't there in McAfee 2009 or earlier versions, so is it really necessary for the 2010 release? We've all been more than patient and gone through the BS of uninstalling/reinstalling/talking with technicians only to get nowhere, because the fault lies in the McAfee software.

I give up. Time to go back to Norton or try Trend Micro.

on 7/22/10 4:51:26 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 927 of 1,143

I use win7 64 as does peter (Ex_brit) mcafee is stable on it loads immediately and except for a couple users with a bsod is very stable.. When you said you used MCPR was this after you had the issue ie install/see issue/uninstall/reinstall/ still have issue path? This is new on me if so will ask Peter and our techs.

Graffin75
Former Member
Message 928 of 1,143

Hey Peacekeeper, thanks for the post.

Yeah, I too experienced my one and only BSOD on my brand new laptop and that was whilst running a scan with the just installed McAfee.

The laptop is brand new and came with a Trend Micro trial, so I uninstalled that, rebooted, logged into my McAfee account and installed Total Protection 2010 from there.

Not only has McAfee really slowed down startup, but like I said, it doesn't actually "kick in" til a few minutes after startup, and that's considering there's only the bare minimum loading at startup (i've checked under startup and msconfig).

And yes, on shutdown it appears the same process that is causing havoc on my XP system doesn't seem to always shut itself down on Windows 7 either.

As for the BSOD, I think I can explain that. My laptop has Intel video on-board along with an nVidia GT330M, and depending on what power saving settings I use, it uses one or the other. I believe I had it using the on-board video when I ran the scan and about 6% into the scan, it blue screened and began to do a memory dump. When I attempted to restart Windows normally, it shat itself. I had to reboot a second time to actually get back into Windows 7 (let's just say it caused a brief anxious moment). It's got 4Gb of 1066MHz DDR3 RAM so it's not like it's underpowered. It still shouldn't have blue screened because nothing else was running except for the scan.

I'm sorry, but i've lost all confidence in McAfee. Unless McAfee removes that problematic process, there's no way i'll trust any of my PC's security to a flawed piece of software. I've had nothing but trouble with MTP 2010.

When I used MCPR, it was on my desktop (running Win XP SP2 - 4Gb RAM, 3.0GHz CPU). As i've said. Never had issues with Total Protection 2007, 2008, 2009. 2010 introduced McSvHost.exe, and that's where the problem lies.

Message was edited by: Graffin75 on 7/22/10 6:21:09 AM CDT
Peacekeeper
Message 929 of 1,143

Couple thoughts

1 what is the laptop brand?

2 Do a uninstall reinstall as it appears something is amiss. Use a new mcpr download.

3. What version of security centre are you using 10.5.194 latest.

4 You can try chat and ask for escalation . I have passed this up our line as well

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 930 of 1,143

Hi All.

Just to let you all know that last night 22nd July my main pc updated to the lasest version 10.5.194. And on 1st shutdown since the update, no issue.

However, my netbook was also on at the same time that my main pc got the download, however my netbook did not recieve the download, and this is on the same network as the main pc, only difference is my main pc is wired, and my netbook uses wireless from the router.

Is there any reason for this? I know peacekeeper said the downloads come in sections to stop overloading the server, but surley my main pc, and netbook would of had the update the same time if the update was sent to my network / server.

Thanks Mezzy.

on 23/07/10 10:00:59 IST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community