Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geode
Former Member
Message 901 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Mezzy:

This just "happened" to me also on an XP desktop (aroung July 5th or so).  The desktop had been turned off for a couple of days.

I tried different things to fix it, but got the same results as you.  Sounds like we got hosed on one of the updates.

Had to un-install, run the mcpr.exe, and reinstall.

All is well again [ in v2010 heck ]

Man I miss the old version.  I sure hope the last 5 months have been worth it.

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 902 of 1,143

Hi,

yea seems weird.

As ive said, on the 12th I had my pc on till about 11:30pm then switched it off (no problems that night)

on the 13th i turned my computer on at 10:45 pm then had this error

after checking my main pc, all the updates are different from those on my netbook they are as follows:

MAIN PC:

security center:

version: 10.0

build: 10.0.580

affld: 0-898

last update: 13/05/2010

virus scan:

version 14.0

build: 14.0.309

last update: 12/07/2010

dat version: 6041

dat creation date: 12/07/2010

engine version: 5400.1158

firewall:

version: 11.0

build: 11.0.378

last update: 11/03/2010

Im having no probs on the main pc AS YET.

My netbook version are:

security center:

version 10.0

build: 10.0.580

affld: 8-898

last update: 12/05/2010

Virus scan:

version 14.0

build: 14.0.309

last update 1/07/2010

dat version: 6029

dat creation date: 30/06/2010

engine version: 5400.1158

firewall:

version 11.0

build: 11.0.378

last update: 30/03/2010.

as you can see they vary quite alot.

So if any moderators / mcafee agents or even consumers can advise me id be very grateful.

ps this has got to be "another" mcafee issue, as NOTHING has changed on my pc... and only I use both pc's.

Thanks Mezzy.

Peacekeeper
Message 903 of 1,143

Well looking at those versions and your issues you really need to get the 10.5.194 version. It has some fixes and especially a uninstall reinstall via the MCPR removal tool (available in useful links tab) is probably thefirst thing to try. Sometimes an install gets corrupted.

I would also be interested in what the risk is that is it saying? Is it " update old". Maybe being triggered as no 10.5 version but I do not thinks this would happen only when it finds  old dats.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 14/07/10 7:57:35 PM
celtkub
Former Member
Message 904 of 1,143

Peacemaker, when you advised someone in your last post that "you really need to get the 10.5.194 version," what does that mean?  I thought we had absolutely no control over which version or update McAfee releases to its users.  I have the dreaded 2010 version of McAfee running, with the notorious ---and still unresolved--- McSvHost error, and my last update or "build" as you call it, is 10.0.580.  If the 10.5.194 "build" is better and so many people already seem to have it, how come so many of us still don't?

Peacekeeper
Message 905 of 1,143

Peacemaker who is Peacemaker?

10.5.194 and the previous 10.5.178 are out but some servers are going slow giving them out. Really I thought every1 had 178 by now. When you have issues that are not acknowledged as known the 1st thought is to update to the latest version. The best way is an uninstall reinstall that is guaranteed to give you the latest as reinstalls are always the latest available.

178 has some fixes for updates and scheduled scan issues and 1 fix for this issue that seems not to help those who tried it.

My Pcs with the retail version Mcafee are on 178 but my son a kilometer away is on 194. 194 is being released throttled  ie say 1% of users get it at any time so that the servers are not overloaded. The PC with mcafee beta is on 178. 194 fixes are uninteresting so 178 is what you need at least.

georgieb
Former Member
Message 906 of 1,143

Just an FYI. I too was on Security Center Build 10.0.580 up until this morning. Have just now been upgraded to 10.5.194 (appeared to have skipped over 10.5.178) so rollout appears to still be ongoing; likewise , Virus Scan & Firewall were updated to versions 14.5 & 11.5 respectively, same time. Regards, GB.

Winslow
Former Member
Message 907 of 1,143

Hi,

I was automatically upgraded to SecurityCenter v10.5.178 on 07/05/10 and to SecurityCenter v10.5.194 on 07/10/10.

On 07/13/10, I received a McSvHost.exe error on shutdown.

Shouldn't the upgrades have finally solved that issue?

Thanks!

Peacekeeper
Message 908 of 1,143

10.5.178 fixed 1 form of this error there are unfortunately several other ways this happens which are being fixed asap. Seems they fix 1 way and another turns up so they are lothe to update the fix as it could cause more angst

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 16/07/10 1:36:16 PM
celtkub
Former Member
Message 909 of 1,143

I did as you suggested and uninstalled/reinstalled McAfee, and I now have the 10.5.194 version.  Since then I've shut down the computer twice and the first time got no error, but the second time the error came back.  Very, very annoying.  So I will have to go back to terminating the McSvHost prior to shutdown until McAfee completes the debugging process --which is taking forever and a day.

Gene
Former Member
Message 910 of 1,143

I hate to be a cynic, but I seriously doubt this error message has multiple causes, since it started appearing with the 2010 upgrade and exhibits the same symptoms (i.e., only during shutdown) on all XP machines.

I think it's much more likely that they don't yet know what's causing the error. Windows reports that mcsvhost is trying to access an invalid memory address. That's the cause of the error message and it seems pretty straight forward. I can't believe they haven't yet found the problem.

The problem is somewhere in the program code, and possibly not in McSvHost.exe. It could well be caused caused by other code passing incorrect parameters to McSvHost.  There are a number of lengthy "McSvHostxxx.log" files (where xxx is a number such as 001). The files are in several subdirectories and some of them are filled with error reports. For instance, the log file in directory:

C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MCLOGS\MISP\McSvHost\

contains the following errors for today, starting at 7:00 pm:

McSvHost000.log -- approximately 500 error messages

McSvHost001.log -- approximately 500 error messages

McSvHost002.log -- approximately 170 error messages

There are several other log files recording large numbers of errors involving McSvHost. With all that documentation available, it would seem to me that the problem can be found in a reasonable time.

A log file in the MCLOGS\HomeNet\ directory specifically lists errors during shutdown, and goes back for months.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community