Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Former Member
Not applicable
Message 881 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Hey dj501,

I just wanted to answer a couple of your questions for you.

The software was tested. Unplugging USB devices actually resolved this issue for some people, and I'll explain why. The issue is caused by this one service taking too long to close down as the computer shuts down. If this service was busy scanning a device, like a usb drive for example, or had hung scanning a drive, unplugging that device could cause the service to respond normally. This issue, in it's initial state, was thought to be a Microsoft issue because the Operating System (made by MS) was shutting down the service too quickly. Also, this issue didn't appear until after some MS patches went out. However, after getting samples from affected systems we found multiple causes for the issue.

We've rolled out fixes for this error, and many report no more problems, but new causes and newly affected users crop up again. We will continue to release updates and patches to address each cause we find, but it takes time to write the code for those fixes and to test them to make sure they fix the issue and cause no other issues.

drewb
Former Member
Message 882 of 1,143

Is it possible to list each cause that has been found and patched?

What causes are known but are yet to be fixed?

Or do you simply not know after 4+ months?

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 883 of 1,143

I'll have to ask development, but I'm happy to do so!

Peacekeeper
Message 884 of 1,143

Thanks Somer I forgot about the usb printer issue that was the first fix for this but been so long it slipped my mind.

BTW got no 4 popup out of 58 shutdowns yesterday on my test PC so still there.

georgieb
Former Member
Message 885 of 1,143

Somer....Like DREWB, I (& no doubt many of us on this post) would appreciate details of the "fixes". We minions are in a position to "identify" if the "conditions" the "fixes" are addressing are present on our machines.. A little information could go a long way to reducing all the noise we are making. If you are introducing fixes, tell us what & when (version); we'll gladly give you feedback (positive or negative), but all this ad-hoc tweeking is "absurd". How is one to "know" when this software is truly functional (I know, I know, I understand the minor nature of this error message but, all these months of Developers "tweeking" this code makes me very nervous; USB connections? What else don't we know) I simply want to regain confidence in my Security Software & I'm not there yet. Any "concrete" information would be appreciated. Tx.

Peacekeeper
Message 886 of 1,143

USB printers left on when one shuts down was the 1st cause of this issue. It was posted here but I forgot about it so chat's comment was partially correct not the blanket fix it comment just to try it.

I think the fixes are not added yet as they are chasing a 100% cure before release but we are trying to get what has been done released to at least fix some. There was a fix I mentioned way back in 10.5 that addressed the issue but it did not work widely.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 10/07/10 6:56:19 PM
dj501
Former Member
Message 887 of 1,143

we are talking about nothing

Usb devices was present also in ver. 9 of mcafee and no error appeared.

Same for Win XP.

I have the same software installed on pc since 2 years and no problem was since YOU pass from ver 9 to 10.5

So where is the problem? On my usb devices? On win xp?

NO is simply a new mcafee version NOT tested. And this is not ammissible for an antivirus.

However i have obtained my money back and i can find another antivirus after SIX years of mcafee.....

make your considerations...

Bye

Peacekeeper
Message 888 of 1,143

dj501

I do not know where you got that idea from as the issue is caused by mcafee ver 2010 as mcsvhost is a new program only in 2010 version. I / mcafee never said it was your usb problem it was just that mcafee had problems getting memory when closing down when a usb hardware was active.

Still say the issue was so minor that one should not leave because of it. But of course that was your right. Got another popup on my test PC. 1 in 14 shutdowns. It is on 10.5

Good luck with your new AV.

davideo0
Former Member
Message 889 of 1,143

As can be seen from this forum, there are many people here who are aware that the error which repeatedly appears on shutdown is related to McAfee but there must be many thousands who are not au fait with computer matters who are worrying why their computer is showing an error on a regular basis.

For the benefit of those people who do not complain and who think the problem is theirs, it would have been nice if McAfee had informed all their clients that the error they may be experiencing was an error know to McAfee and which McAfee are attempting to clear.

Peacekeeper
Message 890 of 1,143

Good point there is a post on the main forum but one has to find it first. Will ask if a post on main web page possible

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 12/07/10 5:12:16 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community