cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cburrows
Former Member
Message 771 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Okay, back to the McSvHost.exe error.  On post #796 & #798 there was a change that was presented and then we never heard much about it after that.  Will this change to the Stealth mode eliminate the error or does the McSvHost.exe error still come back?  What are the drawbacks (if any) to changing to the Stealth mode?

PhilF
Contributor III
Message 772 of 1,143

I have been in Stealth Mode since day one.

This has absolutely no effect, one way or the other, on this issue.

From my perspective, Stealth Mode is simply a more secure method of browsing.

Peacekeeper
Message 773 of 1,143

Unless you want to add mcsvhost to the DEP settings as discussed or ignore the error the only solution is to wait for the release of the fix later  in June.

We will keep reminding Mcafee but we cannot do anything more sorry

Gene
Former Member
Message 774 of 1,143

cburrows wrote:

What are the drawbacks (if any) to changing to the Stealth mode?

Stealth mode has the highest security (short of lockdown). I've never used it, but according to McAfee's documentation, it closes down all ports other than system ports, which may affect bit torrent, if you use it. It also asks you to give permission (or not) to any program's outgoing or incoming access unless it recognizes the program.

The default mode is outgoing access for all programs.

I have no idea whether stealth mode stops the mcsvhost message permanently, especially since the error message sometimes disappears for several shutdowns and then returns.

Message was edited by: Gene on 5/26/10 8:44:14 PM CDT
cburrows
Former Member
Message 775 of 1,143

Thanks Gene for the excellent explanation.  I guess the only question I have for myself now is do I want to use Stealth Mode or not?  How about the rest of you out there on this post, do any of you use the Stealth Mode?  If you are using it, how do you like it?   Does it do anything to help eliminate the McSvHost.exe error?

daydreamer
Contributor
Message 776 of 1,143

Hi I have used stealth mode since day one and no it doesnt stop the Mcsvhost exe

error from appearing.

If a program wants access, I just get a mcafee  pop up asking for permission to connect, a quick click

and its gone.

Message was edited by: daydreamer on 27/05/10 19:29:29 IST
celtkub
Former Member
Message 777 of 1,143

Peacekeeper, there has been absolutely no activity on this board since May 27, 2010.  Where did everybody go?  And what is the latest on the "fix" for the McSvHost.exe error?  Thanks.

Peacekeeper
Message 778 of 1,143

I know it has been quiet got my second popup that is 2 in 20 days .

Re fix well it is scheduled later this month that is the earliest we could get it brought forward to sorry.

Gene
Former Member
Message 779 of 1,143

I think probably everybody who had the problem has been here, mostly as readers because you have to register to leave comments -- and that's IF they know this forum exists -- a big if.

There's only so much you can say about this problem, and I think it's all been said.

The number of Google hits for mcsvhost has grown to 28 pages.

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 780 of 1,143

I am waiting this patch to fix this problem. Thanks.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community