cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geode
Former Member
Message 761 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Yeah, we've all been griping about that shortcut and the start menu "repopulation" issue since February.  Long before the shut-down error thread grew in popularity (and for some of us BSOD with v2010 and subsequent reinstallation of XP, etc).

Seems this is the only thread getting anyone's attention.  If we have the developer's attention, why haven't they given us configuration controls (like in general settings) to remove the desktop shortcut and repopulation of the Start Menu?  Those are trivial in comparison to this issue, but have had complaints (from me included) from day 1 of my renewal.

I had to reinstall 2010 again after one of the updates made SiteAdvisor break (and reinstallation of it alone would not "fix" it), and along returns the desktop icon.  Having to run a patch or hack the registry in safe mode is just BS, and everyone knows it!

And no one has been able to provide the registry hack to prevent the repopulation of the Start Menu.

Those aggravate me far more than a benign shut down error (but not as much as reinstalling my OS and rebuilding my system after the initial upgrade broke my computer).

Please give us back control of our customizable desktops and menus!

on 5/24/10 4:00:42 PM CDT
Nikolai
Former Member
Message 762 of 1,143

Gents

Not sure if you've tried the solution from McAfee at Doc ID TS100906 (google it if you haven't) but this worked for me to remove the desktop icon - forever. Or at least until i had to recover my XP to try one more attemp at getting rid of the McSvHost problem!

I ran it again and the icon has stayed out of my life - again.

Nikolai

Geode
Former Member
Message 763 of 1,143

Thanks Nikolai,

Your help is appreciated.  None of the following rant is directed at you or any other kind-helpful, well-meaning individual (bless all of you who try to help their fellow man).  That includes our moderators.

This is meant at the arrogant or ignorant McAfee developers who took away our ability to customize our own desktops and menus by "automatically reinstalling at reboot-startup"!

My point to McAfee and the development team (via our non-employee forum monitors) is that WE SHOULD NOT HAVE TO RESORT TO TECH DOCS, PATCHES, AND REGISTRY HACKS to prevent the reinstallation of the desktop shortcut.

AND they HAVE NOT ADDRESSED the START MENU repopulation to the best of my knowledge!

I had discovered the registry change on my own before I came to these forums to look for fixes for my BSOD upgrade issue.  I have a very long history in IT (quarter century plus) and work for one of the world's largest computer component manufacturers (I can't say whom; they make us sign a form each year. And if we are going to give our employer's name, we have to get permission from Corporate Communications first).  As the world's largest manufacturer of this technology, I'll bet you have had our products in your computers whether Intel or AMD based or Mac.  My roles have always been support/operations (desktop, server, network, monitoring, capacity, etc) - I am not a developer/coder, but I do experience the results of their labor with each Severity 1 following code promotions to production.

Moderators, you have the developer's ear with this shutdown issue.  Please get them to include this fix in the many updates that are being pushed.

on 5/24/10 4:50:10 PM CDT
Nikolai
Former Member
Message 764 of 1,143

Hey Geode

Can't say fairer than that - that's why I've cancelled my renewal. Just like to find ways to beat the system!

Nikolai

J_Palmer_Cass
Former Member
Message 765 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

Does THIS help with the icon issue

I downloaded that file again, and followed the directions to remove the desktop icon.  The desktop icon fix worked this time.

The desktop icon can now be controlled the typical Windows XP way.

Now the only problems I notice occur at shutdown.  I can live with the DWWIN.exe and the McSvHost error messages at shutdown for the short term.   Everything else seems to be working properly!

Peacekeeper
Message 766 of 1,143

Don't know re the dwwin error any1 else seeing this? The mcsvhost issue should be fixed mid June or sooner if we can stir the delelopers.

Mullie
Former Member
Message 767 of 1,143

After contacting McAfee yesterday about reclaiming the cost of my reformat I was informed that you only have till the end of the month to claim, this is the first I knew about it so be aware if you had a crash get the paperwork in now or you will not get anything

Peacekeeper
Message 768 of 1,143

Form on the web sites so every1 who wants to get extension or reimbursement better get into top gear and submit a claim.

drewb
Former Member
Message 769 of 1,143

Mullie wrote:

After contacting McAfee yesterday about reclaiming the cost of my reformat I was informed that you only have till the end of the month to claim, this is the first I knew about it so be aware if you had a crash get the paperwork in now or you will not get anything

Mullie,

Thanks for the info.  I dont know US law but for anyone in the UK, the time limit is not enforceable.  Mcafee are responsible for these costs regardless of whether a form is submitted by end of May.

Peacekeeper
Message 770 of 1,143

Ok enough on that issue that is another thread entirely but some seemed to move over here.

see http://community.mcafee.com/message/132644#132644

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community