Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 691 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

saab900 wrote:

Also regarding this auto-renewal, I have it switched off but I can see it still, so no idea why others cant.

Regards to all

I have now got it turned off. To turn it off you have to contact Customer Servers, but you can turn it on from the web page it gives you that option to do so, but not the other way round.

cburrows
Former Member
Message 692 of 1,143

Reply to Nisa51:

I don't really understand why you had to call customer service to turn off your Auto-Renewal.  I was able to turn it off on-line at my account as I know many other customers did the same  Maybe eliminating the turn off option was just recently done by McAfee.  If they did do this, it was probably because so many were turning it off and they are afraid of losing a lot of customers like myself.  I hope when you called customer service that you told them exactly why ( the McSvHost.exe error) you were turning it off.  They need to know how dissatisfied we are with there McAfee 2010 product!!!

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 693 of 1,143

Yes I did tell them why and said it is not compatible with windows xp as it is not.

celtkub
Former Member
Message 694 of 1,143

For the past several days I have been reading the posts on this board as I, too, have been experiencing the dreaded McAfee-2010-related error on shutdown. It happened almost every time I shut the computer down since McAfee installed the 2010 version via an update. However, three days ago it occurred to me that if the problem was caused by the McSvHost.exe application not terminating completely prior to Windows shutdown, then maybe I should terminate it manually prior to shut down.  Hence, three days ago I opted to open Task Manager to terminate the application prior to shutting the computer down. I've done that every time I turn off the computer (which is several times a day) since May 13 and am pleased to report that the shut down error --knock wood--- has not re-occurred. The error has not reappeared in spite of McAfee's occasional updates. If you wish to try it, do the following prior to shut down:

CTRL/ALT/DELETE -- to open Task Manager.

Under "Processes" find the McSvHost.exe file.

Highlight it and click on "End Process."

A window opens seeking verification that you wish to terminate the application.

Reply "YES" and wait a couple of seconds before the "McSvHost.exe" file disappears.

Shut down the PC the usual way.

I trust this will be of assistance. Assuming the error does not reappear, this will be my way of dealing with the problem until McAfee debugs the 2010 software (if ever).

Peacekeeper
Message 695 of 1,143

celtkub

Thanks for that suggestion that was the 1st workaround we came up with. The problem with this is by the time you end task the process you could have shut down normally and take the same time as if you just ignored the message and let it take its time to close.

Anyway Our tech and has waved this thread in front of his managers and maybe we will start to get action.

Doug53
Former Member
Message 696 of 1,143

Well, add me to the list.  Got a McAfee Update a few days ago and that's when McSvHost.exe started leaving its message at shutdown.  It's amazing that this has been reported since February, and it is still not fixed.

I'm running XP SP3.

Peacekeeper
Message 697 of 1,143

Thanks doug issue is being worked on we will discus this more during our mod call in to the techs and admins. If there is anything new be sure I will let you all know.

Looked at my test XP box even with 512Mb ram cannot get issue to occur. On 1 of my kids 5  Pcs and that 1 has been logged by Mcafee without seeing anything out of the ordinary.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 17/05/10 6:21:44 PM
Fabio
Former Member
Message 698 of 1,143

The same problem on 2 PC (1 PC Win Xp professional SP2 and Notebook ASUS Win xp Home edition SP3) when I shotdown

Fabio
Former Member
Message 699 of 1,143

I'm Italian (Genoa city) and i don't speak very well English but on 2 PC's i have the same problemmmmmmmmmmm after update Mcafee Internet Security 2010 on 13 may!

I will buy NORTON if this problem will not be fixed!

celtkub
Former Member
Message 700 of 1,143

Thanks Peacekeeper.  I look forward to the McAfee fix so I won't have to go through the Task Manager gyration. Hopefully, the fix, if and when it comes, will be in the form of a normal update, which will make things easier for all of us.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community