cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 571 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Philf passed that on as well. So any1 hasnt got Adware installed and process protection active? This give a adware shiled in task bar.

Pcfriend severs vary 1 thing when it came back did the registry key return?

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 572 of 1,143

One thing I have noted is that with recent updates , the error message is intermittent. Some shutdowns it is there , some not. Also , since the new version was released , the auto update feature has not worked on my system. All updates have to be done by clicking on the option.

Running XP SP3.

Peacekeeper
Message 573 of 1,143

One thing I have noted is that
with recent updates , the error message is intermittent. Some shutdowns
it is there , some not. Also , since the new version was released , the
auto update feature has not worked on my system. All updates have to be
done by clicking on the option.

Running XP SP3.

The new version has Smart timer which will not allow scans or updates if the Pc is in use. This also can apply to some running processes such as weather notification programs etc. We have asked that this be improved upon and the new version 10.5 in beta has some improvements but more need on this issue.

Re mcsvhost yes variable checked my Son in Law's PC taday while Mcafee tech remoted to PC and took more logs. The 3 shutdowns I did none failed buy 1 in 2 did yesterday.

I now have a XP Pc that I can setup as a test bed  so I can see issues in the flesh.

jmckee
Contributor III
Message 574 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

The new version has Smart timer which will not allow scans or updates if the Pc is in use. This also can apply to some running processes such as weather notification programs etc. We have asked that this be improved upon and the new version 10.5 in beta has some improvements but more need on this issue.

Since the updates need to be done while online , there will always be some sort of activity on the system. Thus , the Smart timer does not sound like such a smart idea.

mmaier
Contributor
Message 575 of 1,143

I have found this registry entry is also part of the program "CNET_VSP30days.exe" and can be downloaded

from http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/downloads/cnet/2008/VSP30days/CNET_VSP30days.exe

maybe this helps.

mmaier

Peacekeeper
Message 576 of 1,143

I agree Smart Timer is not a help sometimes. We have asked for a disable option to be added.

Re that cnet file it is a 30 days Virusscan trial isn't it appears so and yes same key inserted.

All this passed on with many logs from my Son in Laws PC

PCFriend
Former Member
Message 577 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

Philf passed that on as well. So any1 hasnt got Adware installed and process protection active? This give a adware shiled in task bar.

Pcfriend severs vary 1 thing when it came back did the registry key return?

Peacekeeper

1. The registry key did not come back to my XP SP2 machine nor the error as of today as I have stopped totally the updates.So some update is causing this error it looks like.

2. On my test rig of windows2000 pro sp4, the registry key is still there & I am getting  updates to my Mcafee programs to it is updated even today.Still no errors.So on windows2000 registry key nor any update is giving any problem.NOTE:It always keeps my Internet security version 2009 only & will never(so far) upgraded to 2010 version.Why can't Mcafee just route all XP users to the same process\server as that of win2000,they all can get 2009 version & updates without any errors.

Ok,I have done my best to co-operate by giving all they wanted,suggesting all possible methods to overcome this problem until this is fixed.No pro-active response or feed back for my trials nor for my suggestions from Mcafee.

My question now is if Mcafee can't fix a bug i their own software & take so many months to figure out a fix,HOW ARE THEY GOING TO PROTECT MY COMPUTER     from latest virus\trojans being released on daily basis.It appears their speed is so slow that there is no meaning for Real time protection.

As a step 1 I have removed Mcafee from my important PC & installed an alternate vendor's software & is working fine.As for further steps of switching to the alternate vendor for my other 7 systems,I am giving a fair chance to mcafee to fix this issue before next one week.If they can't,too bad.I am gone out of Mcafee for sure.

Peacekeeper
Message 578 of 1,143

Will pass on and ask if they have found out anything re update. They are on another hunt for another cause though that looks good.

2010 will not install on win 2000 so I hear that is why 2009 was installed. I do agree if they install 2009 it must be available

My logs showed my son in law;s pC needs a bit of work but no indication of issue's cause.

saab900
Contributor
Message 579 of 1,143

Hi Everyone,

Well, I emailed support regarding reimbursement of costs and the extended protection for two years and I was advised there would be something on the website in a few days on how to apply, well its past that and I still dont know - anyone any idea how to apply.  I'm still waiting for further news from support.  Oddly enough I haven't been getting the closing down error message for a few days now - touch wood !!!!   Although I ran a manual update last night and it remained 'checking for updates' for ages, I closed it in the end.  This morning it said it was fully up to date - strange.  I have to say I prefer 2009 version anyway, even before the fault with 2010.

I've been with McAfee for about 4 years now and I am happy to stay with McAfee, I also help friends and neighbours if they have a problem with their McAfee. Very fortunate they dont have XP like myself so they haven't suffered the same problem.

bengaile
Former Member
Message 580 of 1,143

Hello:

Today, Saturday, McAfee Technical Support (Francia) stated they would post an announcement in the next couple of days on how to obtain your reimbursement for your technical repair costs.  The technical guy I spoke to last evening, Ralceq, stated he would send me two emails with instructions on what I needed to do once a recovery CD arrived, etc.  Never received the emails- surprise, surprise!  He did say one can go to:

us.mcafee.com and select the Learn More button.  Once my laptops are repaired, I plan on going to AVG.  McAfee knew they had an issue and were NOT proactive, yet they were happy to remind me my subscription was up for renewal and they had updated my billing address last night during my call with support.  It seems they care more about billing than helping customers fix their computers they just so happened to have destroyed!

Anyone who has their system fix, please state how that happened.  My laptops are nonfunctioning and I am unable to do a system restore in safe mode, etc.

Thanks,

Gaile

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community