cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
newjack
Former Member
Message 501 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

You may want to read this.As i have been also haveing unrelated problems that no one can answer. This may be of interset to some.

I found this at a site when researching my problems.PC world.com ( Mcafee update problems)

Message was edited by: newjack on 4/29/10 9:48:37 PM EDT

Message was edited by: newjack on 4/29/10 9:54:11 PM EDT

Message was edited by: newjack on 4/29/10 9:56:01 PM EDT
whschul
Former Member
Message 502 of 1,143

Sorry to say that 30,000 did nothing.  The service still bombs on shutdown...

Again XP SP3 . 30000 for the timeout does not help.....

newjack
Former Member
Message 503 of 1,143

For some of you there is an article at pcworld.com on some of the problems.Mostly affecting xp with Mcafee updates.After going to pcworld click on bugs and fixes.The articles are on the right side of page.                                                                         Hope this helps Jack

whschul
Former Member
Message 504 of 1,143

Not that I am a quiter or anything, but after having mcafee for many many years, and this debacle and the

way my tech support issue was mis0handled. I have changed over to another anti-virus package to just get on with my life...

I hope they find a solution, I still have a machine, using 1 of my 4 licenses, ( a window 7 )  that are not broken yet because of this, ( All my XPs are  )

but at my corporate office I have to consider all things and what the long-term this means.  Yes, all companies make errors, without a doubt, but

the true loyality to a company or product is how they handle adversity and help their customers.  True customer service is a rarity without questions,

but there just comes a time..

I have done everything posted here, and the numerous cleans and reinstalls with no luck, and has deminished my trust in the software to accomplish its task.

Good luck and will keep monitoring to see if a solution is forthcoming....

Peacekeeper
Message 505 of 1,143

Hmm wonder if it is sensitive to PC specs ie some could have sata connections some IDE. Try 40000 as a last test please then go back to your original value if that does not work.

Not that I am a quiter or
anything, but after having mcafee for many many years, and this debacle
and the

way my tech support issue was mis0handled. I have changed
over to another anti-virus package to just get on with my life...

I hope they
find a solution, I still have a machine, using 1 of my 4 licenses, ( a
window 7 )  that are not broken yet because of this, ( All my XPs are  )

but
at my corporate office I have to consider all things and what the
long-term this means.  Yes, all companies make errors, without a doubt,
but

the true loyality to a company or product is how they handle
adversity and help their customers.  True customer service is a rarity
without questions,

but there just comes a time..

I have done
everything posted here, and the numerous cleans and reinstalls with no
luck, and has deminished my trust in the software to accomplish its
task.

Good
luck and will keep monitoring to see if a solution is forthcoming....

I passed the issue onto the higher level techs though as I asked did you get a case number?

Was the email used the same as your registered email address? If not do not post it here our Admin is chasing this up that service you got is NOT acceptable as the issue appears to be Mcafee's.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 30/04/10 1:21:31 PM
Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 506 of 1,143

My Windows Express updates where update. On the Custom tab there was a couple of Net.Framework updates to do, So I have installed them, and I will wait and see what happens. But is it is hard to tell if this solution works or not, as I do not always get the shutdown error, sometimes I can go 4 or 5 days without seeing it.

Day 1 so what prevails.

drewb
Former Member
Message 507 of 1,143

drewb wrote:

Peacekeeper wrote:

Not good so i pointed our top level tech to your post. Did they give you a case number?

Ok can some one try changing the waittokillapptimeout value in the registry

How to do it shown here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305788

In win7 value is 12000ms try to set it up to 20000ms and see if that helps.

Before you pay around there only someone who is sure of what they are doing try this and backup registry before you attempt this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

I know asking you to try this yourselves sucks but I haven;t an XP PC with this issue occurring so cannot test it.

Good luck whoever tries it.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/04/10 3:45:58 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/04/10 3:46:23 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/04/10 3:47:57 PM

Peacekeeper,

I have been watching this thread with interest as I have this problem on three computers, all running XP.   The error has appeared immediately after update to 2010.  The laptop was the first to go a few weeks ago.  For some reason, the PC and notebook only updated to 2010 in the last 7 days.

1 x Dell PC, 1 x Dell laptop & 1 x Samsumg notebook.

The only applications common to all three computers is Office 2007 & PowerDVD.  This is excluding the usual Adobe Reader, Java, Flash etc.

My registry was already set at 20,000 on the laptop so I it changed to 30,000.  On the last three shutdowns, the error has not appeared.  I will update the other two machines tomorrow and post back.

I agree with other users that we shouldnt have to alter registry etc and that Mcafee should sort out this problem.  However, I'd rather try a short term fix than do nothing.

Regards

Drewb

Message was edited by: drewb on 29/04/10 18:03:17 CDT

Another false dawn.  I can confirm that the shutdown error has returned on my laptop.  Sorry for raising false hopes. 

Peacekeeper
Message 508 of 1,143

After that other post I was worried about this actually working thanks. Trying more ie 40000 would slow your shutdown too much I fear.

Another thought

Trying to see something in common with all these PCs.

Any1 got a small or no swap file ?

I am getting a XP desktop (2nd hand) so I can setup a test PC for XP annoying me that I can only take stabs at suggestions.

mmaier
Contributor
Message 509 of 1,143

See attachment.

All this files (Mcafee) are open at Shutdown.

I have had this occurence twice since 22.04.2010.

All this open files (Mcafee) has to close before Shutdown.

Maybe, this could be done in different time, so no accurat

value for "WaitToKillAppTimeout" is given.

mmaier

saab900
Contributor
Message 510 of 1,143

My McAfee updated last week to the new version 2010 and when I ran a virusscan, it wrecked my PC - it wouldn't let me do anything at all, couldn't do a thing.  Took it to a workshop hoping they could save having to reload windows but unsuccessful, they could only reformat the disc in the end and reinstalled windows XP - Cost me £49.  Thanks McAfee.  Funny but the day after my mum updated her McAfee and although there was an update, it still remained the old 2009 version.  Anyway I'm also now getting the error message on closing.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community