cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mezzy
Contributor
Message 491 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Windows is currently set to recieve ALL windows updates automatically, the .net frameworks listed above downloaded to my computer as an update from windows, I did not download these myself.

So I would of thought the other .net frameworks would download themselves if i needed them?

Mez.

ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 492 of 1,143

Some of these replies are simply uncalled for. My apologies to our subscribed participants recieving these rant emails. Please be reminded that personal attacks and defamatory remarks are unacceptable.

Please find below our Content Moderation Rules, which you will find in our .

Content Moderation Rules

Messages may be edited, deleted, or moved to more applicable discussion areas. Community Members may be banned or removed from the community at the discretion of McAfee.

While McAfee does not censor members' thoughts, a post that is deemed not acceptable may be edited or removed without notice. Examples of such posts include:

• "Rants", "slams", or legal threats against McAfee or another company or competitor.
  • Threatening, defamatory, or abusive posts, either between forum members or directed towards a moderator, employee, or management.
  • Language that promotes illegal activity or discusses illegal activities with the intent to commit them.
  • Vulgar, obscene, or indecent language, information, or images.
  • Bigoted, hateful, racially offensive, or religious comments.
  • Personal phone numbers and addresses (to protect privacy).
  • Unauthorized copyrighted material.
  • Advertisements or posts that contain any form of commercial solicitation.
  • Spam messages or posts repeated on various boards and folders with little or no reference to relevant topic.
  • Posts someone impersonates another person or affiliation with an entity, including McAfee.
  • The dissemination of computer viruses or other destructive material.
  • Off-topic comments not related to a technical issue regarding a McAfee product or related support issue.

By using this community you agree to follow these guidelines and rules as well as the full Terms of Use for the McAfee Community. If you have any questions about our guidelines, terms, or policies, please let us know in the Getting Started area.

Message was edited by: April Jacobs to correct typos on 4/29/10 4:02:43 PM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 493 of 1,143

Mezzy wrote:

Windows is currently set to recieve ALL windows updates automatically, the .net frameworks listed above downloaded to my computer as an update from windows, I did not download these myself.

So I would of thought the other .net frameworks would download themselves if i needed them?

Mez.

Mez, I've found that the auto updates will install the basic .net and updates but often to get those other versions one has to employ the Custom search for updates.

Of course they can also be downloaded from Microsoft directly.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/04/10 4:08:35 EDT PM
PCFriend
Former Member
Message 494 of 1,143

Ex_Brit wrote:

You are totally off base with your comments.  McAfee staff are working day and night on this issue and, although to you it's a major issue, it hasn't hit a huge number of people. so they have to find out why it is hitting only certain ones.

I suggest that you listen to and follow anything that McAfee suggests or there really isn't much point in going any further is there?

It isn't easy for a software maker to just wave a wand and have everyone reverse tracks to a previous version.   There's a huge amount of work involved in that and it may not even be possible, but they are looking into that possibility too, I assure you.

The only way this is going to be solved is for people to cooperate & coordinate with Technical Support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/04/10 12:30:01 EDT PM

Ex_Brit: 1.What a way of proving you are timed out or you can't come out of the box " it hasn't hit a huge number of people. so they have to find out why it is hitting only certain ones." looks though you have statistics of people who have been hit or not have been hit.Do your home work well.

2."McAfee staff are working day and night on this issue and, although to you it's a major issue" you seem to be immuned to poor quality so it proves you aren't even able to judge what quality is expected - generation gap,understandable.

3."I suggest that you listen to and follow anything that McAfee suggests or there really isn't much point in going any further is there?" - what makes you think they have anything suggested or not followed by all these participants here yet the problem is not fixed.Looks your RAM is full & can't hold much,refresh it by reading from comment 1 to the last each day.

4."It isn't easy for a software maker to just wave a wand and have everyone reverse tracks to a previous version.   There's a huge amount of work involved in that and it may not even be possible, but they are looking into that possibility too, I assure you." how pessimistic,be an optimist impossible is possible you might or some one might not know.Don't aruge for the sake of arguing or just to prove that you think you are inside Mcafee & actually watching how this is being handled.Huge amount of money is collected already from consumers for the huge amount of work,they did not do it right.Have you heard do-it-right for the first time,it is easier rather than undoing it to redo properly later.You don't seem to have any inclination to the word "Quality".

5."The only way this is going to be solved is for people to cooperate & coordinate with Technical Support." - in what other way than what already I have done 1.me giving my computer for them to take all the necessary files & logs 2.trying all the tricks they suggested 3.Escalating the case as per their own technical team' s request to developer's stage through their PR exceutive.

6.I have even pointed out the possible area they have to look into in thier codes related to mcsvhost.exe & also to provide me the complete startup & shutdown sequense tree of mcafee2010 application & services so that me & some one in this forum can also contribute towards trouble shooting,have they provided that??

7.I gave one incident of PC's crashing due to a wrong update which happened this year read the link in my previous post,I know you will say mistakes happen once while,right??have a look at the similar type of mistake which happened a little earlier  http://www.theregister.co.uk/2009/07/03/mcafee_false_positive_glitch/

It is not for or against Mcafee or any other software vendor the main purpose of this topic is,

1.it is for getting the fix at right time.

2.it is for bringing about certain acceptable standards of Quality in software industry so that consumer burdens are reduced interms of stress& money for geting things fixed.

3.to bring in accountability in programers & developers to bring a culture as in any manufacturing industry - you take the best work on it & give the best to the next.

4.Think of the consumer & think that they are not expected to be techies who can fix their own problems when you deliver a product,this culture is required to be inculcated in software industry.if we go by the same arguement as per you there is no need for 1000's of cars being called back to Japan for faulty design glitch or any kind of malfunction which might affect in a million to one,right?

5.As it is very clearly proved & nailed it is a problem at the coding level & only they can fix it,try it out on a small group of pc's in their lab,find solution & give it to the customer,why are you still stuck with the idea that customers need to cooperate & coordinate with Technical Support,understand this has gone beyond that?

Peacekeeper
Message 495 of 1,143

PCfriend we are helpers here do not take it out on us. Also try spaces hard for these old eyes to read something that has no spaces .

If you are so interested in helping/testing why not try the timing suggestion of mine. Easy to change easy to restore back if it does not work/.

Mcafee is looking into this BUT how many users have this ?. My kids 5 XP pcs both home and pro do not ever have this issue so why are you all having it? That is why I am considering getting my own xp setup and testing but probably I will not see it occur as they don't. We have 40 or so posting here out of several million xp mcafee users, have all of you reported the issue via chat. Reporting gets the issue on their database the more reports the higher the attention the issue gets.  That is the way I see it.

Ok some of you have had Chat take logs etc They thought after that, that the issue was caused by the network agent program. Seems not and we have chased the developer up vai our tech contacts to tell him that he better return to the drawing board.

Theone
Former Member
Message 496 of 1,143

Mezzy wrote:

Which .NET framework do i need?

I have:

.net framework 2.0 service pack 2

.net framework 3.0 service pack 2

.net framework 3.5 service pack 1

are these the ones I need?

Though my system has Service pack 3....

Mez.

on 29/04/10 20:27:13 IST

Mezzy:

I likewise had those .net frameworks installed on my computer via windows auto updates. But it wasn't until I manually installed the following .net framework directly from the microsoft website that I got rid of the problem; atleast it turned out that way in my case. ( Tested on SP2 and SP3).

Here's the the direct link off of microsoft as I previously posted.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displa...

goodluck.

Message was edited by: Theone on 4/29/10 4:53:52 PM CDT
ajacobs
McAfee Retired
McAfee Retired
Message 497 of 1,143

PCFriend wrote:

- you seem to be immuned to poor quality so it proves you aren't even able to judge what quality is expected - generation gap,understandable.

- Looks your RAM is full & can't hold much,refresh it by reading from comment 1 to the last each day.

- You don't seem to have any inclination to the word "Quality".

It is not for or against Mcafee or any other software vendor the main purpose of this topic is,

1.it is for getting the fix at right time.

2.it is for bringing about certain acceptable standards of Quality in software industry so that consumer burdens are reduced interms of stress& money for geting things fixed.

3.to bring in accountability in programers & developers to bring a culture as in any manufacturing industry - you take the best work on it & give the best to the next.

4.Think of the consumer & think that they are not expected to be techies who can fix their own problems when you deliver a product,this culture is required to be inculcated in software industry.if we go by the same arguement as per you there is no need for 1000's of cars being called back to Japan for faulty design glitch or any kind of malfunction which might affect in a million to one,right?

5.As it is very clearly proved & nailed it is a problem at the coding level & only they can fix it,try it out on a small group of pc's in their lab,find solution & give it to the customer,why are you still stuck with the idea that customers need to cooperate & coordinate with Technical Support,understand this has gone beyond that?

PCFriend: The first three comments I've included above are perfect examples of what is not acceptable: Ad hominem attacks.

As for what this topic is about, number 1 is correct. This thread is for trying to resolve a particular issue. Our product management team is working with support to investigate and understand why this issue is happening on certain installations.

We welcome your commentary on industry standards, corporate accountability, consumer culture, etc. Please start new discussions around those issues here: .

drewb
Former Member
Message 498 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

Not good so i pointed our top level tech to your post. Did they give you a case number?

Ok can some one try changing the waittokillapptimeout value in the registry

How to do it shown here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305788

In win7 value is 12000ms try to set it up to 20000ms and see if that helps.

Before you pay around there only someone who is sure of what they are doing try this and backup registry before you attempt this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

I know asking you to try this yourselves sucks but I haven;t an XP PC with this issue occurring so cannot test it.

Good luck whoever tries it.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/04/10 3:45:58 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/04/10 3:46:23 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/04/10 3:47:57 PM

Peacekeeper,

I have been watching this thread with interest as I have this problem on three computers, all running XP.   The error has appeared immediately after update to 2010.  The laptop was the first to go a few weeks ago.  For some reason, the PC and notebook only updated to 2010 in the last 7 days.

1 x Dell PC, 1 x Dell laptop & 1 x Samsumg notebook.

The only applications common to all three computers is Office 2007 & PowerDVD.  This is excluding the usual Adobe Reader, Java, Flash etc.

My registry was already set at 20,000 on the laptop so I it changed to 30,000.  On the last three shutdowns, the error has not appeared.  I will update the other two machines tomorrow and post back.

I agree with other users that we shouldnt have to alter registry etc and that Mcafee should sort out this problem.  However, I'd rather try a short term fix than do nothing.

Regards

Drewb

Message was edited by: drewb on 29/04/10 18:03:17 CDT
whschul
Former Member
Message 499 of 1,143

Well, I have a Window XP sp3, and raised the timout up to 20 seconds and it did not fix the problem.

Still get the McSvHost.exe error on exit... Had hopes, but no go....

Also, it seems to occur more while the system has been running for awhile but not if it is up for only a couple minutes and then

I just restart it...

Next Idea anyone.....

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 500 of 1,143

Tried 30000 ?

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community