cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 481 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

As this change(ok they reduce the setting) is done by users trying to speed up shutting down  xp, the setting will not hurt anything but I asked for someone who is used to changing registry settings to try it. Without testing on a PC that this is occurring I cannot help. It is better than waiting that is why I got 2 posters to try the beta. Proved not the solution thus this thought.

2009 roll back not on but they are thinking about it or the keeping of 1 server at the old version for future releases but I was told that it is a big job.  (just repeating what I was told)

PCFriend
Former Member
Message 482 of 1,143

I think by now we all can predict what is happening at Mcafee with regards to fixing this problem from our own experiences.

1.This is 100% a mess created by their developers & only they can fix this.But they are not doing it simply because they are well entrenched deep & are not feeling their chiars shaken by the shocks nor they have a professional attitude to take up the challenge & work to fix this issue.

2.The top brass at Mcfaee is busy lllking at their stock values.

3.The peripherals like sales,pr,tech support tier 1,tier 2............tier n form a shock absorbing ring to provide comfort to the developers who simply scare the top brass & others that if they try to fix this 'some thing major might happen'

4.Network team warns of catastrophies if they try to roll back the troubled customers to 2009 until a fix is found.

5.Their finance statistics might be showing that more than 70% of users have just renewed their subscriptions & they can't run away as they lose their money.They are forced to keep using the same with a bit of cursing.

So Mcafee startegy is simple,let some sitting idle developer guy keep trial & error fix finding & let us keep sending them as daily updates & use customers feed back if any of the trail worked.In the meantime let the outer rings keep taking the shocks and keep the customers confused(not convinced).

To be true,if they had pulled up a top guy who is responsible for the developers & demanded from to come out with comitted answers to what caused this mess,what is the fix & exactly when he is going to fix or else his team will face the axe,we would not be discussing this issue even today after 4 months,right.

They have messed up the architecture of the application\coding in such a way that now they can't even isolate this mcsvhost.exe module,disable it so that all other functions keep working, a sort of bypass arrangement or a plan B.

Only way they can help them selves is to put one of the developer guys answerable (with right attitude) into this forum & make him  tell what's his story is???

Otherwise,we all have to,if we want to,wait for them to provide a new version 2010xe(2010 minus some crap + 2009 goodies).Like MS did with regards to vista.

Hope my predictions are right???? Please for no reason start tampering with your operating systems trying to find a fix unless you have a system separately for adventure.

Message was edited by: PCFriend

One thing for sure,by the time this is fixed I will become a good typist till then pl bear with my typos. on 4/29/10 10:44:19 AM CDT
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 483 of 1,143

You are totally off base with your comments.  McAfee staff are working day and night on this issue and, although to you it's a major issue, it hasn't hit a huge number of people. so they have to find out why it is hitting only certain ones.

I suggest that you listen to and follow anything that McAfee suggests or there really isn't much point in going any further is there?

It isn't easy for a software maker to just wave a wand and have everyone reverse tracks to a previous version.   There's a huge amount of work involved in that and it may not even be possible, but they are looking into that possibility too, I assure you.

The only way this is going to be solved is for people to cooperate & coordinate with Technical Support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/04/10 12:30:01 EDT PM
Theone
Former Member
Message 484 of 1,143

Graffin75 wrote:

Running Windows XP SP3 - recently McAfee Total Protection was updated to the 2010 version and now everytime I shutdown my PC, I get a dialog box saying McSvHost.exe can't access a reference in memory (or something to that effect).

I click close or wait for a while and the PC shuts down.

While it doesn't *seem* to be causing any real problems, it's annoying having an error pop up everytime I shutdown.

Is this happening to anyone else?

Is there a way to fix this?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers!

p.s. Where do you find the version numbers for Security Center/VirusScan/Firewall, etc. in the new version?

I like the new look UI, but seems some options/info are harder to find than before.

I was having the same issue, turns out it was an absolute easy fix; hope it works just as smoothly for you alll.

Simply go to the microsoft website and install .net framework:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displa...

BTW: I tried it with both SP2 and SP3 on different computers - fixed both. If you already have one version or another, I'd suggest you update.

If .net framework is being installed for the first time you'll notice a difference at start up. You'll be prompted with username and password.

Easy fix:

If you dislike the Username/Password prompt at startup, go to "RUN" and type: "Control userpasswords2" (without the " " ) and uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." Click Apply. At that point you'll get a prompt window (Automatically Log On) where you simply put the name of your desired username in place of administrator; leave the passwords empty. Click ok. And Voila!

One last thing I might mention is that you'll see a new username profile under accounts in Control Panel - the .net framework account CAN be deleted.

Hope this helps

😃

Message was edited by: Theone on 4/29/10 1:40:04 PM CDT

Message was edited by: Theone on 4/29/10 1:46:52 PM CDT
gwayles1
Former Member
Message 485 of 1,143

You think that users should just "follow anything that McAfee suggests." What a laugh. Even when McAfee has proved that its suggestions don't work. Boy - I'll bet General  Custer would have loved you among his ranks when he led his men like sheep into annihilation. So sorry it is such a "huge amount of work involved." Isn't that what people pay their good money to software companies for? There really is only one good solution for users:  uninstall McAfee and never come back to them again.

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 486 of 1,143

You're absolutely right!

gwayles1
Former Member
Message 487 of 1,143

Peacekeeper,

All these assorted requests for volunteers:  does that mean that among all of the McAfee technical staff, there is not one single individual capable of doing the testing and observing the results? Not one capable of loading XP/2 and XP/3 on various machines? Instead, you must resort to the poor users who systems have been compromised by your lame product? What you see on these posts does not represent all of the people experiencing the problem - it represents some of the people with enough savvy to get on this forum to complain about the failures of your product. I have never ever before seen a software company that tries to enlist its compromised users to solve the problem the software company created.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 488 of 1,143

In answer to theone;

I was having the same issue, turns out it was an absolute easy fix; hope it works just as smoothly for you alll.

Simply go to the microsoft website and install .net framework:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyId=262D25E3-F589-4842-8157-034D1E7CF3A3&displa...

BTW: I tried it with both SP2 and SP3 on different computers - fixed both. If you already have one version or another, I'd suggest you update.

If .net framework is being installed for the first time you'll notice a difference at start up. You'll be prompted with username and password.

Easy fix:

If you dislike the Username/Password prompt at startup, go to "RUN" and type: "Control userpasswords2" (without the " " ) and uncheck "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer." Click Apply. At that point you'll get a prompt window (Automatically Log On) where you simply put the name of your desired username in place of administrator; leave the passwords empty. Click ok. And Voila!

One last thing I might mention is that you'll see a new username profile under accounts in Control Panel - the .net framework account CAN be deleted.

Hope this helps

😃

The aspnet account in XP is placed there for a reason and isn't meant as an account to be signed into under normal circumstance.   I don't recommend deleting it as it's placed there by Windows for a reason.

See http://www.mvps.org/marksxp/WindowsXP/aspdot.php which states

You can remove this account, but it is vital if you do asp.net development work on your machine. 
  By removing the account you may find your ASP.net projects will no longer function correctly.

What I do recommend is keeping Windows up to date and if people practice this then they wouldn't need to install any .net version because it would already be there.

We've seen these crises come and go in these forums over the years and it quite often boils down to something that is not McAfee's fault at all.  We have also seen that many people who get into these jams also use registry cleaners, again not wise.

Thanks for posting that though as at least it points to an issue that has so often been the cause of so many peoples' issues, an out-of-date machine or one that is corrupted (re: registry cleaners being over-zealous).

I'm not stating that this is the cause of this particular issue, but it shouldn't be overlooked.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/04/10 3:50:43 EDT PM
Mezzy
Contributor
Message 489 of 1,143

Which .NET framework do i need?

I have:

.net framework 2.0 service pack 2

.net framework 3.0 service pack 2

.net framework 3.5 service pack 1

are these the ones I need?

Though my system has Service pack 3....

Mez.

on 29/04/10 20:27:13 IST
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 490 of 1,143

Mezzy wrote:

Which .NET framework do i need?

I have:

.net framework 2.0 service pack 2

.net framework 3.0 service pack 2

.net framework 3.5 service pack 1

are these the ones I need?

Though my system has Service pack 3....

Mez.

on 29/04/10 20:27:13 IST

It depends on what applications you have installed - I have various software that employs all of them at different times, I would install 1, 2 and 3 and their service packs, which sound serious but aren't - just another update.  If you've set Windows Update to offer updates for all products using Microsoft Update ( http://update.microsoft.com/microsoftupdate/v6/default.aspx?ln=en-US this is the one for North America) then it will offer all those using the Custom button when asking for it to check for updates.   To be on the safe side I would install anything it offers, with the exception possibly of any 3rd party graphics and sound drivers because sometimes those are a bit out of date and most people download those things seperately in any case.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 29/04/10 3:45:26 EDT PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community