Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwayles1
Former Member
Message 471 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Somer,

You say "we want to keep trying, and succeed in giving you something better. We want to solve this and make sure it never happens again."

Is your comment under the same general theory that when a doctor makes a stupid blunder and injures a patient by his incompetent treatment, he wants another bite at the apple with the same beleaguered patient? For many, you have succeeded in driving your customers away. Hardly a winning scenario for McAfee or good PR. Wouldn't it have made better sense to roll your product back to an earlier version - along with an explanation as to why you are doing so - until you sort out your errors? That's better odds than the incompetent doctor would have with the injured patient.

And as for the backwards compatibility issue: when you state on your box that a product is compatible with a given OS, then it is darn reasonable that a purchaser ought to be able to expect that is the truth. Do we now need truth in labeling for software?

craig2cso
Former Member
Message 472 of 1,143

...then get rid of the developers that caused this, and improve your Qos testing....you're beginning to operate like Microsoft..."hurry up and get it out the door, even if it's broken"

Former Member
Not applicable
Message 473 of 1,143

Part of the issue is that multiple things can cause this issue. We find them, fix them, and update the product as we do so. It's not an underlying incompatability with Vista or XP though. It can be as simple as the OS is shutting down before our service can close itself off. We're going to keep working on this, and hopefully get it fixed soon.

In the meantime, I encourage you to contact Customer Service with your complaint. It's valid, and you should put it on the record. Again, I personally wish I could somehow mitigate this frustration for you, but I know that may not be possible. I simply felt compelled to try and answer some questions if possible.

creature_of_hel
Former Member
Message 474 of 1,143

Hi Somer Pyron,

Please read my post 409. It seems that relates to what you said:
"It Can Be As Simple As the OS is shutting down before Our service Itself Can close off."

Regards

Peacekeeper
Message 475 of 1,143

That is what I also mentioned re timing back on Monday your time. This was mentioned as a possibility so lengthening the timing setting in the registry could help.

Will reask

whschul
Former Member
Message 476 of 1,143

Well I just got a call from the escalation technical support for this issues and he called back just 5 minutes ago.. His answer.....

Its not McAfee's error..... Thats it, thats all he said.... I said now wait a minute, you have all these people experiencing this error,

I was working fine with the 2009 and then McAfee pushed out 2010 and all of a sudden I get these errors. Who's error/fault is it then.??????

I asked do you have a probably reason why it is occurring..???   ( Very hard to understand.... ) And then he just hung up....

That was the extent of their technical support for this issue... I cannot tell you how many times they have taken control of my system,

rooted around, uninstalled, and then re-installed and found/Fixed nothing.. And if you look at the error closely, it looks like the McSvHost.exe is

trying to access a NULL pointer or memory address zero....

Common McAfee, that was not technical help, but rather someone just trying to push off the problem, hanging up on a customer, and then

trying to mark off that the request for tec help was satifisfied... Not by a long shot...

This stinks to all shorts of issues........

systemind
Former Member
Message 477 of 1,143

I also have similar probelm. this problem started when i upgrade to virus scan plus 2010.

Peacekeeper
Message 478 of 1,143

Not good so i pointed our top level tech to your post. Did they give you a case number?

Ok can some one try changing the waittokillapptimeout value in the registry

How to do it shown here

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/305788

In win7 value is 12000ms try to set it up to 20000ms and see if that helps.

Before you pay around there only someone who is sure of what they are doing try this and backup registry before you attempt this.

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/322756/

I know asking you to try this yourselves sucks but I haven;t an XP PC with this issue occurring so cannot test it.

Good luck whoever tries it.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/04/10 3:45:58 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/04/10 3:46:23 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 29/04/10 3:47:57 PM
Brattyknight
Former Member
Message 479 of 1,143

Peacekeeper and Somer,

I also have been dealing with this McSvhost.exe error and followed the cmd  instructional given by Somer in an earlier post which resulted in a complete system crash and 3 days of downtime resulting in loss of some files and documents and a total wipe and full reinstall of my computer I did a full and clean and updated install of McAfee from the online download page and then spent the next few hours waiting on windows updates and McAfee updates to finish everything was going good error had seemed to be fixed up until last night when I had gotten 5 more additional Windows updates all which required a restart I restarted and all went well then about an hour later I got 5 more Windows updates again requiring a restart again I restarted  and low and behold there was that damn error again before you ask no I don't know which updates they were but if I were to guess there appears to be a programming compatability issue here and the McAfee programmers need to get off their butts and start earning their pay and get this sorted I have been a loyal user of McAfee for the past 10 or so years but if a fix or a solution is not made available soon then I myself may just abandon McAfee and advise all my friends and family to do the same oh and one more thing before you ask the windows updates were released before the 2010 McAfee update was released

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 480 of 1,143

I am no way touching my registry, My PC works fine thank you, and touching the registry could well and truely upset the whole PC. And why should we touch the registry. Look this is not our PC's fault, Our PC's are just fine as they are. The fault is McAfee's programme NOT THE PC!!!!

And I agree  with someone els's post, 4 months to resolve this issue is far far too long. I just do not believe that McAfee's developers,. team or whatever you want to call yourselves is working on this "flat out".

Its quite perfectly simple, roll everyone back to the Security Centre 2009 - nothing wrong with that programme. and completely ditch the 2010 until you are completely ready to release it.You Upgraded us you can degrade us.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community