cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gwayles1
Former Member
Message 431 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

This is off-issue, yet possibly relevant to some degree with McAfee errors (I don't know to what degree, though). No question that reformatting is the long way around, but according to Microsoft's technician, the only way to guarantee there will not be compatibility issues. Surely a headache. I can only surmise that Microsoft has been grappling with this for awhile and now recommends the procedure indicated. Try running Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.0, for example, in SP3. You'll probably end up with compatibility problems. If not, I'd sure be interested in hearing about it. Have tried the "backwards compatibility" option in the past and found that the machine just laughed at me. Same thing true for Vista. If you select a backwards compatibility, it will probably just laugh at you some more. Not all software, of course, but some. And how do you know before you begin and end up having to format backward, in the final analysis? All I can say is that the Microsoft tech guy warned me about this, and said don't expect compatibility without going the method he described. Indeed, it is a hassle. And it what has kept me from upgrading to XP/SP3. Like a giant conspiracy with the software manufacturers to make everybody constantly spend money on new software.

Peacekeeper
Message 432 of 1,143

Peacekeeper,

Why do you
keep trying to pin the problem on networking? Plenty of people are not
networked to anything, and still the problem persists. Even if it were
that, it is not our responsibility to fix it - it is McAfee's
responsibility. Two months worth of excuses with no solution is
disgraceful. I'm happy to say that I uninstalled the product a couple of
days back, and returned the disks today to the store where purchased,
along with an explanation of what has transpired. They were truly
shocked to hear what we, the users, have gone through and gladly gave me
a full refund.

Not me saying that I am just saying what Mcafee says. mThe network agent is still active I assume even if you have no network. I agree time is passing and still not definite anser but as I mentioned some appear to have got closure with the update (recent) but others are still plodding on.

We mentioned it again today still work in progress. Sorry to lose you for a minor but annoying issue

creature

Can you tell me if the causes of the problem depends also on the
computer configuration?

Not that I know. As mentione dmy kids have 5 installs on xp sp3 with 2010 on it and all stable. There is some common thing here but what is past me

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 27/04/10 2:39:22 PM
Peacekeeper
Message 433 of 1,143

Thanks not good news.. Our contact is discussing this with the bod who says it is fixed.

Nisa51
Contributor III
Message 434 of 1,143

Hi Peacekeeper and Creature

All I can say is I have done absolutely nothing to the settings of the Internet Security, i have not disabled anything, touched nothing. Just as creature was saying during the recent upgrades to build 10.0.580 i have not had the shutdown error.

This is the start of my 5th day, so will wait to see what happens when I shut down in about 3 hours time. and then later on this evening.

Peacekeeper
Message 435 of 1,143

Ok here we go again who has the 580 build and still has the issue?

BTW beta version no chop.

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 436 of 1,143

ME.

I will list the builds/dats/etc below.

SECURITY CENTER:

Version: 10.0

Build: 10.0.580

Affld: 0-898

Language: en-gb

Last update: 16/04/2010

VIRUS SCAN:

Version: 14.0

Build: 14.0.309

DAT version: 5964

DAT creation date: 26/04/2010

Engine Version: 5400.1158

FIREWALL:

Version 11.0

Build 11.0.378

Last update: 11/03/2010

All I have installed is Anti-Virus, firewall.

NO Family protection, networking, blah blah blah.

PS, I have a CLEAN install of windows xp home SP3 on my netbook, yet I still have this issue on there.

Also have the issue on my MAIN computer (windows xp pro SP3) which has not got a clean installation, and not going to get one either. Far too much work/programs/files etc to lose & back up.

+ the fact I dont see why I should reformat my hard drive for a Faulty Mcafee product.

Mezzy.

on 27/04/10 09:41:06 IST
Peacekeeper
Message 437 of 1,143

Agreed if it is on a clean skin reformating the other will not help. I will see what our contacts get back to us with.

Good idea to think of some backing up don't you think.?

Eric
Former Member
Message 438 of 1,143

I have the latest update and still get the shutdown error every time.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 439 of 1,143

gwayles1 wrote:

This is off-issue, yet possibly relevant to some degree with McAfee errors (I don't know to what degree, though). No question that reformatting is the long way around, but according to Microsoft's technician, the only way to guarantee there will not be compatibility issues. Surely a headache. I can only surmise that Microsoft has been grappling with this for awhile and now recommends the procedure indicated. Try running Adobe Acrobat Standard 7.0, for example, in SP3. You'll probably end up with compatibility problems. If not, I'd sure be interested in hearing about it. Have tried the "backwards compatibility" option in the past and found that the machine just laughed at me. Same thing true for Vista. If you select a backwards compatibility, it will probably just laugh at you some more. Not all software, of course, but some. And how do you know before you begin and end up having to format backward, in the final analysis? All I can say is that the Microsoft tech guy warned me about this, and said don't expect compatibility without going the method he described. Indeed, it is a hassle. And it what has kept me from upgrading to XP/SP3. Like a giant conspiracy with the software manufacturers to make everybody constantly spend money on new software.

Well for starters you should be running Adobe Acrobat 9, not 7, so if all the software is not up to date, it's no wonder there are problems.

Just a thought.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 440 of 1,143

On our Conference Call yesterday we compared notes and realised that shutdown errors are pretty common and aren't always something that is easily dealt with unless one starts messing with shutdown processes in the registry.

I get them all the time with various applications especially in Windows 7 and hitherto have taken little notice.  I multi-boot 4 operating systems and have learned to ignore an awful lot.  Most of them are merely applications being too slow to close in a timely fashion therefore Windows has to force them to do so.

I'm not saying that's the case here, but if it's just an error and you aren't having other issues then my suggestion is to ignore it.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 27/04/10 7:13:00 EDT AM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community