Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 371 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

I am breathing a sigh of relief.

I got the popup box today.  From McAfee. IMMEDIATE UPDATE REQUIRED.

Not.

That's it. I hate signing now and wondering if my next update is going to make things worse not better.

I'm gone.

I uninstalled McAfee, ran the cleanup tool...

Then I installed Computer Associates Full Security Center.

Free as part of my ISP's package.

It's highly rated.

I feel better already.

I could deal with the small error message, but now...

Also, this forum has a few followers. I think of all the McAfee users around the world who might have to spend hundreds to get tech people in to "fix" a crashed computer.....Most people don't understand what to do when things go south.

Getting back the money you spent for the program is a small thing, compared to what it will cost some people to have someone come in a get a computer up and running again.

I will check back on progress.  Out of curiosity.

terri

ajmitch
Former Member
Message 372 of 1,143

After disconnecting from the internet, opening Task Manager and terminating mcsvhost.exe prevents the error message from appearing.

Slightly off topic, but related in a support kind of way.  ------   My computer dual boots, well triple boots really, with two XP installations.  Main installation on one hard disc, the other installation of XP on a second hard disk that dual boots with Windows 7.  Despite passing the Microsoft compatability test for my hardware, installing Windows 7 failed time after time.  Called Microsoft tech support and had a very helpful guy (he sounded Asian and was working on US time - Eastern Standard Time?) , whatever, he talked me through various tests and suggested things that I try.  He called me back at pre arranged UK times to fit in with my getting home from work and we worked through the problem eventually discovering that the source of all the trouble was my graphics card, (despite the compatability test saying it was OK)  also found a faulty memory stick using Microsoft's memory check program.

The level of support given by this guy was unbelievable, almost falling over himself to help get me up and running.  One happy customer extremely impressed with the level of support.  Now compare that to the customer support from McAfee.....

Message was edited by: ajmitch on 22/04/10 16:00:05 CDT

Message was edited by: ajmitch on 22/04/10 16:03:54 CDT
gwayles1
Former Member
Message 373 of 1,143

I did the same as you. I have uninstalled McAfee and gone through the process of having to pay for another software package to replace it, which I can ill-afford, being unemployed for as long as I have, but better than letting McAfee trash my computer more and more each day. After doing all the uninstall procedures required by McAfee (uninstall through the Control Panel, then shutdown and restart, then run the MCPR.exe file to clear out the remaining McAfee garbage, then restart again). Then I ran CCleaner (which is free, by the way). CCleaner found huge numbers of McAfee trash items left behind after the uninstall process, and quickly and efficiently deleted all that nonsense. Guess that McAfee doesn't really want to clear everything out and so leaves us these little, unwelcomed gifts behind.  THEN I installed my new program. Very nice, very smooth.

Good bye, McAfee. I'll never use your products again, not even your free SiteAdvisor. It is nice to be able to communicate with staff affiliated with my new product who actually understand English and respond in a pro-active, non-canned script manner.

jboman
Former Member
Message 374 of 1,143

Since my recent update of Mcafee Total Protection to its new look I have been having the same problem with McSvHost.exe error on shutdown.

Before the update I didn't experience this error.

I had the update on last week, week of April 12th, 2010.

What is actual causing this on shutdown?

Peacekeeper
Message 375 of 1,143

Can you check the build number is it 580?

The issue has a couple of causes 1 is network agant and the other could be Family protection. When you turn off have you a printer still turned on?

The issue is supposed to be fixed in the beta verion I am testing but as I do not have XP I cannot test it. that is why I asked here for someone to install the beta but no takers..

n6wk
Former Member
Message 376 of 1,143

PeaceKeeper,

My wifes Del laptop has NO printer attached at all and it gets the error message at shut down. The friends computer that I fixed the Faulty DAT file on yesterday has NO printer and NO network setup on it and yet it gets the error at shut down.

How HARD is McAfee actually working to solve this shutdown error? It has been going on a while too long in my opionion.  Have they brushed us aside that have this issue?

I mean, If they can't fix their OWN code, what does that tell us about the Company and the Software?

Message was edited by: n6wk on 4/23/10 3:44:11 PM CDT
Mezzy
Contributor
Message 377 of 1,143

not a great deal lol

I Mean, Their on about networks, printers, family protection...

Think they've tried everything in the book.

They should just let consumers install the previous 2009 software UNTIL mcafee sort the problem out, not rely upon the consumer to sort it.

If the 2010 software was TESTED properly BEFORE it was released, this would not be happening.

Mez.

on 23/04/10 21:51:46 IST
Peacekeeper
Message 378 of 1,143

Ok that is what some have said that they have no printer etc. The issue is network agent mostly as disabling it helps in shutdown.

Do I have to beg can someone register and install the beta ( www.beta.mcafee.com ) at least if it doesn't work I can tell them saves them sitting saying it is fixed.

Need to use MCPR tool to uninstall and the beta MCPR to uninstall it ( on account page in beta area)

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 24/04/10 6:53:39 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 24/04/10 8:35:36 AM
Mezzy
Contributor
Message 379 of 1,143

Hi Peacekeeper.

I dont want to try anything... Not meaning that in a funny way, but what i purchased is what im using. I have tried disabling the network agent thingy, I STILL get the error.

The only way I can stop the error is to open task manager, and "end process" of McSvhost.exe.

Then the pc shuts down with no problems.

Mez.

ajmitch
Former Member
Message 380 of 1,143

Hi Peacekeeper,  I can test your beta copy for you.  I have a second installation of XP on a separate hard disk, so I can disconnect the first SATA drive leaving just the one (that's where I'm test running dual boot XP and Windows 7), so I can play around on that drive and not worry that it's harming any important data/files.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community