Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exhausted_custo
Former Member
Message 181 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Hi Ajmitch,

We are wasting our time here while McAfee has no interest in solving the issue, but time game.

Please read my posts, have been through Support game, tier 2.5 (all logs were emailed to them) and waste my 20 hours of valuable time for a software that is not worth $20.

Basically you are going through the pain that so many of us already went throygh in last 30 days and no resolution. Infact my support person had no clue about this thread until I pointed out, So you just imagine how fragile their management is.

Guess, so many cases are not sufficient for them (I doubt McAfee even understands Six Sigma)

Peacekeeper
Message 182 of 1,143

Exhausted_customer support told me yours was fixed in that it was several malware/viruses. If this isn't so please tell us.

Yes they have to get logs and other files off your PC. No they cannot see the message as you are shutting down so they try to see what is happening from the logs and what you have installed and check your PC for new malware.

They are no playing a time game  though with what 20 reporting it from an install bas of tens of Millions say 30% on xp is a small occurrence.

If I could guarantee I would get it I would get a second hand Pc and test it but my 5 kids Pcs are all stable.

As you can see I am not letting this go quiet but it really is not my job as a volunteer to test setups. Mcafee will find the cause if you support their queries.

user_162547
Former Member
Message 183 of 1,143

So, I've been watching this subject for a few days hoping that McAfee would just download a quick fix but apparently not. I started to get this same message about a week ago. I have 2010 Virusscan plus. The cd not the download. But I didn't start getting this message until they seemed to of changed the Mcafee icon and interface. I'm on dial-up. Windows XP sp3. I have IE 7 but I don't use it. I use firefox 3.6. I also made sure that my computer had downloaded all of the critical updates from Windows and it had. I also ran Malwarebytes which found nothing and CCleaner which found 0 corrupted files. And I haven't contacted Mcafee after the whole DAT issue.

JasonYl
Former Member
Message 184 of 1,143

I cannot wait for their solution. It's been several days without any conclusion.

To prevent the problem when shuting down the system, I totally removed the Mcafee which I just bought one week.

I just decide to switch back to Trend (which I used for the past 2 years) and now everything is back to normal.

So bye bye Mcafee.

Peacekeeper
Message 185 of 1,143

Good luck Jason though I would have thought ending the task each shutdown and waiting would not have been a big issue though I also see your point.

rolandmj
Former Member
Message 186 of 1,143

I still have the problem of McSvHost memory cannot be written appearing from time to time at shutdown immediately AFTER

the WINDOWS IS CLOSING message on windows XP.

No doubt, the problem comes from the new 2010 software, and an update would be necessary. Because McAfee has to provide

PERFECTION.

Quaffa
Former Member
Message 187 of 1,143

Just to clarify what is happening in my particular case when I get this occasional error message at shutdown, because it looks like it is slightly different to what others are experiencing.

I get the same error message as everyone else, I think, 'McSvHost memory could not be written and a load of numbers' or something to that effect.

BUT... I do not have to OK this error message, as it appears others have to.

If I do nothing at all, the shutdown continues after a couple of seconds and my PC gets switched off as it should. So effectively, the only inconvenience this message is causing me is the sound it generates, and consequently I'm happy to wait a little longer for a fix.

I still have the other bugs as well though- Home Network customisation not sticking and Start Menu item being recreated at every re-boot.

(There is no sign of anyone from McAfee emailing me yet.)

Peacekeeper
Message 188 of 1,143

They are not emailing every1 users of Partner supplied versions ie Dell may not be contacted and they were only contacting 8 or so initially. If I gave the impression they were contacting all I was mistaken.

Quaffa you purchased from Mcafee direct?

Quaffa
Former Member
Message 189 of 1,143

Peacekeeper wrote:

They are not emailing every1 users of Partner supplied versions ie Dell may not be contacted and they were only contacting 8 or so initially. If I gave the impression they were contacting all I was mistaken.

Quaffa you purchased from Mcafee direct?

I bought on a CD initially, but what I have installed now was downloaded direct from McAfee after an uninstall & cleanup.

Peacekeeper
Message 190 of 1,143

Ok asked them if they can add you as yours is different

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community