cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mezzy
Contributor
Message 141 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

I wish someone WOULD give Mcafee a call... as waiting for Mcafee themselves, we might aswell wait for Armageddon.

*peacekeeper*

I dont think this is anything to do with malware, as too many of us are experiencing this error. As ive said in my earlier post, "we cant have all picked up the SAME malware" and this never happened on the 2009 version I had previously.

Someone did mention that this error only happens when you physically "go online" this I have not checked for myself. But i will try this and get back.

As ive said also, this is strange why its only happening on 1 computer, rather than the 2 computers I have Mcafee on.

The netbook only has 1 GB of memory / ram... would the memory be causing an issue anyone think??? that there is not enough memory for this McSvhost.exe to write to on shutdown?? I really dont know.

My Main pc has 2GB memory / ram.

How much memory has everyone else got on their computers?

And is anyone having the same issue where it only happens on 1 of your computers.??

Mez.

on 28/03/10 14:03:14 IST
tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 142 of 1,143

I agree with Quaffa and Mezzy...

First, not worth the trouble to do anything but wait. My subscription is up in October.

Also, how come all of us have same error, at same time we updated to newer platform of McAfee. Everyone getting the same malware seems like looking for zebras instead of horses.

Peacekeeper...I have given up on dealing with Customer Service with McAfee. I know more than they do in many cases and I'm no expert. On top of that, they want me to go through every step in "their protocol" which I have already done, but that doesn't count. Not worth my time and effort.

I have a Dell XP with an 80G hard drive with 64usable G left and I keep my computer cleaned up and defragged.  Runs fine and fast enough.

I bought it 7 years ago...nothing went wrong that I couldn't fix. Did only one reformatting...can't remember why.  Reloaded, upgraded and back to normal.  I also do all my regular windows upgrades...have IE8, even though I know some people complain about that.

terri

Someone needs to stir the pot at McAfee. Most of my friends have jumped ship already..using Panda, free Optimum

CA securtiy Suite.  I had just as many problems with Norton initially, so I just got McAfee and rode through the myriad of problems over the years.

Message was edited by: tmgrl4 on 3/28/10 10:18:35 AM CDT

Message was edited by: tmgrl4 on 3/28/10 10:21:59 AM CDT
Mezzy
Contributor
Message 143 of 1,143

I've only just renewed my subscription.

mine runs out on the 11/03/2011.

It wants to be sorted long before that...

Mez,

ajmitch
Former Member
Message 144 of 1,143

I'm almost certain now that this is due to the file McSvHost being in the download version of Antivirus Plus 2010.

I examinied the CD and all the cab files on it.  No sign of McSv Host.  Installed from the CD prior to downloading updates there is no problem.

After downloading updates, or selecting the option to install direct from McAfee brings in McSvHost and then the problems start.

It is my belief that this file is intended to work with Vista or Windows 7 as machines with these operating systems don't seem to have the problem.

From my own tests:

1.  McSvHost.exe isn't running until after Internet Explorer (IE) has started.

2.  If I don't start IE and just run Outlook Express to check my email, McSvHost.exe doesn't start and there is no problem on shutdown.

3.  If I start IE and close it immediately, it does as I have set and prompts to disconnect from the internet, then the computer can be shut down with no problems.

4.  Having started Task Manager and watched the events as I start IE, McSvHost.exe starts up about ten seconds after starting IE.  It stays there, even though I later close down IE and will give the error message at shutdown.

5.  By terminating McSvHost.exe in Task Manager after shutting down IE and disconnecting from the internet, computer shuts down with no error.

I was going to install Windows 7 on my second hard disk which I cleared just for that purpose, so that I could test this out on my machine with Windows 7, but Windows 7 screws up part way through the install.  I bought the full version instead of the upgrade version, so that I could install it and dual boot.  Tried both the 32bit and 64bit DVDs (I have and Athlon 64 4000+ CPU) Seems it doesn't like this scenerio and the guide that comes with it doesn't even mention doing a clean install.  So.... I didn't get to test it with Windows 7.   Once I sort out the Windows 7 problem, then I'll have another go.

I think though, that we should ask McAfee the question as to whether this file was tested with XP or was intended only for the later Windows operating systems.

Message was edited by: ajmitch on 28/03/10 13:17:17 CDT

Message was edited by: ajmitch on 28/03/10 13:20:45 CDT
tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 145 of 1,143

What a great post, ajmitch!!

When I run Outlook alone, no Mc...on Task Manager.  Shouldn't it be running though when we run e-mail?

When I run IE it is running...so from now on, I will shut down IE, disconnecting from Internet, open Task Mananger, end McSV...and that should do it.

Now I wonder why it isn't running during my free-standing Outlook Express program. Doesn't McAfee need McSv to monitor e-mail in and outs?

terri

P.S.  I tried leaving IE open and then close it while watching Task Manager. Sometimes McSvHost.exe stays on and sometimes it shutdowns with IE, when I close it. Explains why we get the error message sometimes and not others.

Message was edited by: tmgrl4 on 3/28/10 1:38:05 PM CDT
Quaffa
Former Member
Message 146 of 1,143

Quote:-

"From my own tests:

1.  McSvHost.exe isn't running until after  Internet Explorer (IE) has started.

2.  If I don't start IE and  just run Outlook Express to check my email, McSvHost.exe doesn't start  and there is no problem on shutdown.

3.  If I start IE and close  it immediately, it does as I have set and prompts to disconnect from the  internet, then the computer can be shut down with no problems."

It looks like you've done a great deal of work on this, AJ, but...

I only use Firefox for internet browsing; I never launch Internet Explorer myself at all. And yet I'm still occasionally getting the error message.

If it helps diagnosis at all, I'm running Firefox 3.6.2 as my default browser, and I have Internet Explorer 8.0.6001.18702 installed. (Oops... I've just launched IE8 to find out it's version...)

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 147 of 1,143

Hmmmm,

McSvhost.exe seems to be running on start up of windows XP.

Ive checked this on my netbook with wireless built in, and as soon as windows starts and has loaded up, I open task manager, and low and behold "McSvhost.exe is running.... without opening any internet related programs.

Whether this McSvhost.exe starts running as soon as my wireless connects to the internet (as i have automatic connect enabled) i dont know.

Can anyone advise?

mez,

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

UPDATE ON MY THREAD

Upon disabling my automatic connection, and restarting my pc, McSvhose.exe is running. so seems to be running all the time, opening internet explorer / outlook does NOT seem to matter, as the program is running upon start-up.

Message for all experiencing this issue: Disconnect / disable your internet, then restart and check and see that the McSvhost.exe is running in task manager.

Mez,

AJmitch, You say your McSvhost.exe is not running until you connect to internet??? as mine is running on start-up

Message was edited by: Mezzy on 28/03/10 21:13:13 IST

Message was edited by: Mezzy on 28/03/10 21:15:30 IST
Peacekeeper
Message 148 of 1,143

Passed some above info onto Mcafee for comment I still at a loss to explain why my XP PCs of my kids are not acting up at least 3 have 2010 and I will update rest soon.

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 149 of 1,143

Maybe McSvHost.exe is in conflict with some application of common use for many users of Windows XP... but not for all.

Something as what happens between Mcshield.exe and Nero Scout in some computers.

tonyorob
Former Member
Message 150 of 1,143

Hi Peacekeeper

I have a Laptop with Windows 7 and McAfee Total Protection 2010 - NO PROBLEMS OR ERRORS - it is wirelessly networked

I have a Desktop with Vista Home Basic SP2 McAfee TP 2010     - NO PROBLEMS OR ERRORS - it is wirelessly networked

I have a Desktop with XP SP3 McAfee TP2010 - THIS HAS THE SHUTDOWN ERROR -  it is networked with LAN cable

I have a Laptop with XP SP3 McAfee TP2010 - THIS HAS THE SHUTDOWN ERROR - it is wirelessly networked

In the Windows 7 and Vista machines McSvHost.exe is NOT listed in the processes of Task manager, though it is present in the Common Files subfolder of Program Files folder.

In both XP machines I note that McSvHost.exe is listed in the process list of Task Manager. The file is present even when I am not using any other applications such as IP8 or Outlook 2003.

When I delete McSvHost.exe from the process list in the Task Manager the error is not displayed on shutdown, but reappears intermittently on further running and shutdown of both XP computers.

Sometimes I note that the protection status of networked computers is "Unknown".

I am not using Parental Control in these computers.

I hope this is helpful.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community