cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mezzy
Contributor
Message 131 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

I have now found the file for the McSvhost.exe.

The file version is: 1.0.180.0

Description: Mcafee service host.

Is this what version everyone else has?

I found this file on xp using the "windows search" and then opened the folder.

Peacekeeper
Message 132 of 1,143

Peacekeeper & ExBrit

I must be an exception to the rule as I currently have not had any issues regarding this thread.

I should clarify I do not subscribe to the Total Protection package, only the 3 user Internet Security and I purchase directly from McAfee if this should help others to narrow the problem(s)

I wonder how many of you have Parental controls setup. Any not getting this who has Internet security installed not Total protection?

Reading some of the posts even not installing anything bar Virusscan still causes issue so probably not the cause.

Does any1 not have XP and get this?

That is my version and I am on the beta 1 build ahead of you.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/03/10 6:32:26 AM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/03/10 6:33:40 AM
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 133 of 1,143

Tony, I don't use Parental Controls....it is just my wife and me on this computer.

Best Regards,

Tom

Mezzy
Contributor
Message 134 of 1,143

All I have installed with mcafee is:

Virus scan

spyware

home network.

Also, because this is a 3 user mcafee, I have only got this installed on 2 computers, but it says "1" computer is protected on your home network.... shouldnt this be "2" computers??? (says this same place where it keeps changing from viruses detected in your last scan, files checked since your last scan)

This is saying the same on both my computers.

I have "mcafee Internet security suite 2010"

Nothing like Total Protection... as far as im aware.

Does anyone know why this is only happening on 1 of my computers also??

Thanks, Mez

on 27/03/10 21:22:32 GMT
tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 135 of 1,143

I have Virus Scan Plus...only that. I have the most current version, after which this problem started. Virtual Technician seemed to clean it once, then it came back, then I uninstalled, cleaned with patch cleaner, reinstalled, virtual technician again, since error message came back.

No networks.

One computer.

No parental controls.

Same problem.

I did restart my computer once today since I ran VTechnician and didn't see it, but it didn't happen each time. We will see what happens. For now, I just let my computer shut down. It doesn't seem to be causing problems anywhere else on my computer for now.

terri

Message was edited by: tmgrl4 on 3/27/10 5:11:56 PM CDT
tonyorob
Former Member
Message 136 of 1,143

Mezzy, I have the same version of McsvHost.exe as you do (1.180.0). When I remove it from the list of processes in Task Manager the error does not show up on shutdown, but this would need further testing as the error is intermittent anyhow.

I do not think McAfee have issued a patch as suggested by Quaffa because others are still getting the error.

At present everything seems to be ad hoc and "off the cuff" and I get the impression that the technical section of McAfee are not that concerned. Peacekeeper is doing what he can but I am not sure he is getting anywhere with this annoying error.

I suggest that all contributors be posted with an official survey in the form of multiple questions designed by the technical/programming department of McAfee to try and find a common contributing factor. At present we seem to be "beating around the bush".

My questions are "Do we really need McSvhost anyhow? Why is it affecting XP only? Is it really causing other problems?"

Come on McAfee, let us know what you are doing about this error!!

Tonyorob

tmgrl4
Former Member
Message 137 of 1,143

That was my point, what you said toward end of your post. Tonyorob.  I have done what I can. The problem isn't at every shutdown. It doesn't seem to be doing anything else to my computer. Certainly, is isn't slowing it down or affecting any other programs.

I will just wait.

terri

exhausted_custo
Former Member
Message 138 of 1,143

Peacekeeper,

So far we all have done some tesing for McAfee.

Here is summary,

Personally spent 20 hours worth of my time in last one month.

Show me one time that you get any useful information from McAfee itself regarding this issue?

One of development manager acknowledge and summarize few issues, however since then no update.

From your post to other members it seems like we all are just playing timegame here.

Today it is a month since my journey began with this issue and would say that clearly that I am not a happy customer, especially McAfee can't even confirm or deny the problem that so many of us has.

If McAfee can't recognize the problem obvious solution is not even on radar.

Kindly guide me to your accounting department for refund process as sure that my original point of purchase won't issue any refund at this point and can't wait any more for this type of issue and seriosly doubts about McAfee ability to defend my computer.

Peacekeeper
Message 139 of 1,143

refund via Customer service link in useful links above but I fear one has to ask within 30days of purchase.

I know it is annoying we had the "Not protected issue and our admin contacted 10 of the posters and all had malware/rootkits that were disabling Mcafee. They sneak on before mcafee gets an update that is why in our standard testing we suggest a couple free scanners as backup.

I can post the malwree testing steps again if any1 wants them.

I have 4 PCs on this version running XP(family PCs not mine) and none have issue thpogh all Total protection ones. Mine is a beta version on win 7 and no issue nor does EX_brit have an issue( another mod on vista or win 7

Yes playing time game I assume as I cannot fix it it has to come from Mcafee and I believe me I have had it waiting as well for a fix. I will stir the pants of them on Monday call believe me.

Seems on XP and virusscan issue ANYONE got this on Vista or Win7 ?....

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/03/10 12:18:45 PM

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/03/10 8:07:31 PM
Quaffa
Former Member
Message 140 of 1,143

Quote: "I do not think McAfee have issued a patch as suggested by Quaffa because others are still getting the error."

Yeah, <sheepish grin>, you're absolutely correct, because -as I predicted- I got the error message the very next time I powered down...

At the moment, I kind of agree with Terri... While this is a bit annoying, it isn't really critical.

I'm happy to wait a little longer for a patch or something. But if it's not fixed by the time my subscription falls due in May, however, I think I will be going elsewhere.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community