cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
DeepDiver
Former Member
Message 101 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

For what it's worth. I had a similar condition, except no error, just got very busy with McSvHost hogging about 50% available PC bandwidth. There was an wireless scanner/printer active and when it was on the problem was worse. When I turned it off all my McSvHost problems went away. Hope that helps!

GeekStyle59
Former Member
Message 102 of 1,143

I forgot the "report only" step. But mcsync.exe was infected with Artemis!947F1B37BB06. Another file, uncorrupted in my backups, was infected with Artemis!350874C9561B. Stinger removed both files. After that, I tried to uninstall (fron Add/Remove Programs in Control panel) McAfee. Uninstallation failed, but the program was removed from the list. I tried reinstalling over it first from the website, then from the disk alone. Both failed. So I quickly installed and scanned with Microsoft Security Essentials. Note, too, that Stinger did not detect these infections in normal Windows mode, only in Safe Mode with Networking.

McAfee is still operating to a degree (Site Advisor still works), but not the virus detection feature. Even with Security Essentials installed, I keep getting the McAfee message that I am at risk. Also, McAfee, as a program, will not open. Can anything be done about this short of starting with a clean install and format?

Peacekeeper
Message 103 of 1,143

Use the MCPR removal tool found here uninstall mcafe and MS essentials reboot run preinstall tool and install mcafee

DeepDiver
Former Member
Message 104 of 1,143

Thanks for the thought but it didn't work, sorry. Same symptoms, with the scanner on it's burning bandwidth, with the scanner off it goes down to about 3%.

GeekStyle59
Former Member
Message 105 of 1,143

Thanks Peacekeeper. I got rid of McAfee as per your instructions. However, at this time, I am not going to reinstall it because I have learned from Googling Artemis that it seems produced by McAfee. Until this problem is resolved, then, I will be sticking with Microsoft Security Essentials. This is an absolutely absurd situation!!!!

Peacekeeper
Message 106 of 1,143

Agreed we have now 1 of the regular beta users reporting the Mcsvhost error (though not on shutdown) so we might get an answer via the beta developers. Will keep you updated

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/03/10 11:59:16 AM
Foxy
Former Member
Message 107 of 1,143

I did use the MCPR removal tool and reinstalled McAfee 2010 again and I must say (knock on wood) it has worked so far.  I have shut down my computer about 10 times now with no error message.  I hope it's gone for good.

mcscotty57
Contributor III
Message 108 of 1,143

Maybe to use the Preinstall Tool help us to reinstall VirusScan 2010 fixing the McSvHost.exe issue?

I have this error in more or less the 90% of shutdowns in my 3 PC...

tonyorob
Former Member
Message 109 of 1,143

I reinstalled Mc Afee Total Protection 10 by first uninstalling and also using the MCPR tool.

I then downloaded and installed the latest program and I still have the shut-down error !!

It is intermittent but still there. Am waiting for McAfee to provide a fix - soon please !

Peacekeeper
Message 110 of 1,143

I wonder when you uninstalled and reinstalled did you reset IE and clear out the temp internet files?   Worth a try as is the preinstall file prior to install ( I think it resets IE as well).

None u replied re whether you are mcafee purchasers ie bought from Mcafee direct. I need the names of some of you to pass onto the techs.

The programs are the same it is just a question asked of us to do.

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 25/03/10 12:04:21 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community