cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Peacekeeper
Message 41 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

If you have 763+ PCs you should be using enterprise not the home version. This version is very stable I should know as been using it since beta day 1 5 mths ago and I get no messages nor my other 6 PCs that have it in the family.

I am chasing this up

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 42 of 1,143

Don't know if you remember the system guard problem that McAfee had  causing computer not protected to come up, and the amount of time it took them to sort out. So I would not hold my breathe for a quick solution to this one.

Think my solution is download McAfee removal tool and if the problem goes away. Do the same and go else were. As I am getting fed up of having to force close the programme.

Regardless if it is  McSvHost or mcagent causing the problem it all points to a McAfee problem.

jjschofield
Former Member
Message 43 of 1,143

Ok have just done some playing .... booted up, used no software and closed down 3 times and no errors.

Booted up and used Outlook, used no other software, then closed Outlook then closed down and got the error.

Coincidence! Can anyone else replicate this on Office 2010 or other versions.

jjschofield
Former Member
Message 44 of 1,143

Have just tried Outlook 2007 on another machine which has never experienced the shutdown error. After running Outlook it gave the error on shutdown.

Seems like this is the direction to look McAfee.

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 45 of 1,143

When 2010 was initially installed via update. I was expecting 2009 layout to be displayed as I was not expecting 2010. Everything was running fine with the 2010 update for about 2 weeks, then another update came along and since then I have being experiencing this problem.

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 46 of 1,143

Sorry Jason, but it's not just related to Microsoft Office or Outlook. I don't run either of these but prefer to use Open Office and Thunderbird. I can bring on the error by running (on their own) Firefox or Windows Explorer or msconfig and others besides. Msconfig is my "tool" of choice for provoking the error. I've also carried out repeated restarts without running any application in between and don't see the error.

Peacekeeper, I'm sorry but there's nothing in Event Viewer logs.

I doubt the problem is happening on all XP machines otherwise McAfee would have seen it on their test beds (I presume!). I suspect it will be down to particular configurations of H/W, S/W and drivers etc. Incidentally, I've disabled all my startups without any improvement. So I do have some sympathy with McAfee who will have to fix a problem that they probably can't replicate. I've contacted Rahul personally (login and click on his photo) and offered to help if required. If McAfee are to get a handle on this problem they will need as much evidence as possible and so some of you may feel inclined to contact Rahul as well.

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 47 of 1,143

Hi

Have just used McAfee removal tool and removed all programs on shut down no problems everything went as normal. Then re installed 2010 from McAfee site on completion of installation I went and turned off computer guess what I had to force close due to this error. This was done on my lap top.

On my other computer that is running XP I have not had any problems since installation.

So as previously stated it does not appear to be affecting everyone.

Peacekeeper
Message 48 of 1,143

This is an issue 2 weeks old as far as I can see. Yes mcafee will need to remote into some PCs to see if they can ascertain what is the cause. We will be discussing this issue tomorrow as well.

Re System Guard issue yes I was with that issue the whole time and what we found with the issue when I arranged techs to contact the users (or at least 10 of them) is that most were affected by malware or rootkits. There have ben no posts re this issue since then. But that is another issue we will sort this 1 out asap I hope.

Slick91
Former Member
Message 49 of 1,143

I’ve got this problem on two XP Home PC’s.  Here’s the quick story:

Got hit this weekend with a Coreflood!mem virus running McAfee 2009 Anti-Virus Plus (with a current subscription).  I couldn’t get rid of the thing no matter which cleaning tool I used (tried over six-including McAfee's-Safe Mode or no Safe Mode).  Decided to do a clean format, repartition, and install of XP.  After applying all Windows updates, I downloaded and installed McAfee AVP, no other software had been added.  After noticing the new UI, I uninstalled 2009 on another XP Home machine and downloaded the new version.  Both PC’s now have this error upon shutdown.  One PC with a clean XP install, the other one a much used XP machine. 

Never had this problem with the 2009 UI version.

I’m also looking forward to the desktop icon removal in the next update!

Message was edited by: Slick91 on 3/1/10 2:43:37 PM CST
exhausted_custo
Former Member
Message 50 of 1,143

Here is more update.

If you look at services, under msconfig, you will find all McAfee processes are runiing, however their vendor name is "unknown".

Today, a CSR called me and spent more than 2 hours on investigating and collect alll logs from my XP machine.

His suspicion is that McAfee services are corrupted and had promissed me to get back tomorrow.

So keep our fingers crossed.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community