Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Geode
Former Member
Message 31 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

So, did this "fix" it?

Since I've cleaned and reinstalled several times, I seriously doubt it.  But maybe you are the lucky one.

Anyone watching this thread, I see other odd behavior since moving to 2010.  My CPU is constantly "bouncing" between 0% and 20+% approx every 2 seconds .  The processes causing this behavior are McSvHost.exe  (6-15%) and mfefire.exe (5%).  I don't recall this behavior in 2009.

I've attached a jpg of the CPU Usage History from my Task Manager.  It's like I've given up 20% of my processing capability.

And if Rahul is reading this:  Do you have a fix for this behavior?

I tell you, much more of this and I'm pulling the plug on 2010 and moving to a competitor product.

devonscouse
Former Member
Message 32 of 1,143

I am still having this problem.

Got laptop for Christmas and installed 2009 total protection. No problems what so ever.

Then along comes an update which puts me on to Security Centre 10- 2010 and with it comes problems closing my computer. Everytime I shut down I am having to force close running programme.

I am operating

Windows 7 Home Premium

Toshiba Laptop

64bit Operating system.

Like other uses my subsciption is up for renwal in a couple of weeks and I shall be looking else were, as I dont see the point of paying for a service that you are not receiving. You may as well go with some of the free sources of security.

Graffin75
Former Member
Message 33 of 1,143

Wow, so it's happening to Windows 7 users as well.... great stuff McAfee.

So, we've got an error, we don't know what's causing it or why it's popping up, but we do know it's McSvHost.exe doing it, and that wasn't there in the 2009 versions of McAfee.

CPU usage appears quite normal (for me)... 00-01% for all the McAfee Processes, but they sure do use a lot of Memory!

I guess as more and more users are updated to 2010, I guess they can expect a lot more complaints.

Perhaps McAfee should revert back to how the program was functioning in 2009, since McSvHost appears to be causing various problems for a lot of users.

on 2/27/10 8:29:46 AM CST

Message was edited by: Graffin75 on 2/27/10 8:30:01 AM CST
devonscouse
Former Member
Message 34 of 1,143

There may only be a minority of people reporting this problem on this site, as other people may not be aware that this site exist and are complaining on other sites.

synaptic
Former Member
Message 35 of 1,143

Hey, had the same problem this morning, only on my Windows XP test machine.  I did some experiments with another pc remotely monitoring and it seems that McSvHost.exe is corrupting itself as its trying to close and write data to the disk, I made a small patch that tells the exe its terminated correctly and windows shutsdown without a problem, this is of course not a great solution because i'm having to inject my code into the process at startup which does take its time now, so is there any word on when this might be solved or if indeed anyone is working on it?

Message was edited by: synaptic on 2/27/10 12:26:13 PM CST
rabbit2
Contributor
Message 36 of 1,143

I too have been experimenting, but with Process Monitor (Microsoft sys-internals). If Process Monitor is run in boot logging mode a whole cycle from boot to shut-down can be captured. With this arrangment I get a different scenario. There is no McSvHost error, but at the same position in the shut-down sequence the system has to forcibly close Mcagent.exe ("Ending program - mcagent.exe"). This is displayed in a standard error window. I found that with Process Monitor running I would get an error about half as often than without it. It would be interesting if someone else could confirm this different behaviour. Process Monitor is available at http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896645.aspx.

For those not familiar with Process Monitor:

Run it from an admin user profile

If necessary stop data capture and clear capture display (don't bother to save)

Enable boot logging

Restart machine (monitoring/logging will start during boot)

Run, and play around with, the application/s that you think best provokes the error

Close app/s and restart machine (hopefully an error will be seen during shut-down)

After logon, Process Monitor will prompt to save/not save the captured file

(Analyse the million+ events captured !!!)

exhausted_custo
Former Member
Message 37 of 1,143

Here is my short story, my XP machine has same problem, McSvHost.exe reference memory write at time of shutdown, like so many of you had reported here.

My problem started 2 days back when I installed Total protection 2010 on top of 2009.

Since then spend 4 hours on chat to unsuccessfully resolve this issue.

Of course, McAfee is uninstalled / installed by using Windows removal other method,

In one bizarre incidence, after reinstalling 2010, somehow 2009 client is incarnated and then again uninstall and reinstall 2010 and now new 2010 client.

Guess what with that McSvHost error is back too.

Receive a phone call from support and was blamed on chkdsk error for Windows file system, call HP customer service, verify system health, did HDD test in BIOS and everything is fine.

It is interesting enough that lots of customer are reporting this problem and doesn't make sense that it is happening at time of shutdown only, not during normal operation.

Also it is Total protection 2010 and not old version 2009.

As far as experience with call center goes, 4 hours of chat time over period of 2 days speaks for itself and so do my ID on this forum

Message was edited by: exhausted_customer on 2/27/10 8:49:18 PM CST
synaptic
Former Member
Message 38 of 1,143

hey  good call on the process monitor, i was already using that along with visual studio, thats how i was able to track the corruption, as far as I can see MsSvHost is the controller for the whole app processes so when you say "mcagent.exe" is forcably closed its because of the host not being able to write something to disk, i've given up trying to isolate this im not being paid to do this, instead I'm just going to uninstall and tell work to get Microsoft Onecare instead, works out cheaper for us anyone we pay McAfee £37.50 per PC and Onecare is £22.95 so times that by 763 and thats how much McAfee will loose over the next 3months just from us, and after a rather unpleasent conversation with the technical support team today I'll be telling our sister companies to do the same.

jjschofield
Former Member
Message 39 of 1,143

Don't know whether this might help ....

I'm having same problem as everyone (see earlier post) and just realised this morning that whilst I'm running the software on 3 PC's in the house mine is the only one getting the error. I've tried to think what's peculiar to my machine and it may be Office.

I'm running Office 2010 beta at the moment. The other 2 are not. I use Office products most days, particularly Outlook. The other 2 do not. Outlook has always been slow to close on 2007 version but on 2010 it seems to have solved this problem somehow. Maybe it's connected ..???

Come on McAfee give us an update. What's your progress, what are you exploring ... or are you just waiting for one of us to solve the problem for you?

Message was edited by: Jason Schofield on 28/02/10 03:28:07 CST
Peacekeeper
Message 40 of 1,143

Strange I will bring this up with the techs at our call Monday and see what They say. I have been using 2010 since September beta and only mcsvhost error was in first 2 days which was fixed. Have you checked the event viewer and see what error is shown if any?( Haven't had time to go back through 3 pages so my apologies if said previously).

Message was edited by: Peacekeeper on 28/02/10 7:47:38 PM
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community