Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
kmrahul1
Former Member
Message 21 of 1,143

Re: McSvHost.exe causes error on Shutdown

Graffin,

Since it was a over installation, can you try uninstall/reinstall of McAfee using MCPR too?

Graffin75
Former Member
Message 22 of 1,143

I'll try uninstalling and using the MCPR.exe utility and see how I go with that on one of my systems, but i'm not holding my breath that it'll make any difference.

From what i've read here and on other online sites/forums, i'm getting the distinct vibe that McSvHost.exe just doesn't like Windows XP and is causing all sorts of problems.

I've only got a couple of months left on my subscription, so I guess if the clean install doesn't work, looks like i'll go back to using Norton instead.

Cheers for your help Rahul.

Edit: It's precisely the same Application Error as mentioned by rabbit2. It's trying to write to a reference in memory and spits out the same sequence of numbers.

I did discover something interesting though. I always switch my router off long before I shutdown or even reboot my PC (because it takes a lil while for the firewall and protection to kick in so I don't wanna take any chances). Anyway, if i've been online and shutdown or reboot - I will get the error. If I reboot and don't switch my router back on and then shutdown or reboot again - no error.

And, no... it's not my NB6plus4W router causing it, as i've tried with my old D-Link DSL-200G which doesn't have any firewall or fancy features (it's just a simple ADSL1 modem).

Message was edited by: Graffin75 on 2/22/10 11:16:56 PM CST
kmrahul1
Former Member
Message 23 of 1,143

Sorry for the delayed response...

We are searching for some samples, so can someone contact us via tech support chat?

Just let me know before you connect with tech support chat team.

Thanks in advance.

saf
Contributor
Message 24 of 1,143

I have just installed McAfee Total Protection and I am also getting error messages 6280436a and 09b6a164 on shut down - is this a McAfee program error hope someone can fix this?  Had McAfee for the last 4 years and no problems - thinking about reverting back.

Graffin75
Former Member
Message 25 of 1,143

Yeah, it's a McAfee application error.

I haven't removed/re-installed it, but I believe Security Center updated again a couple of days ago and I was prompted to restart my PC, and *crossing fingers*, I think the error no-longer appears. In the last couple of days when i've shutdown, I didn't get the error, so maybe it's been fixed?

What i've got Installed:

Security Center

Version : 10.0

Build : 10.0.570

Last update : 23/02/2010

VirusScan

Version : 14.0

Build: 14.0.36

Last update : 25/02/2010

DAT version : 5902

DAT creation date : 24/02/2010

Personal Firewall

Version : 11.0

Build : 11.0.378

Last update : 10/02/2010

Anti-Spam

Version : 11.0

Build : 11.0.261

Last update : 10/02/2010

rabbit2
Contributor
Message 26 of 1,143

Rahul, Just had a session with support chat - not a good experience I'm afraid. His only offereing was to contact McAfee's virus removal team, but since I've already run scans I don't have any faith in that idea. The support guy didn't seem to grasp the problem even though I referred him to the Comunity Forum item. I also asked him to let you know that I was online so you could participate but nothing resulted from that. In fact, I mentioned these things in the "problem" box before initiating the chat but all of this was ignored - or not passed forward to the support guy.

Like Graffin75, I have also received the update requiring a restart but I am still having the shutdown error. It certainly seems to be related to a running application. I carried out about 20 restarts (without running any user application in between) and no error messages popped up. I'll keep an eye on the applications that I run and see if anything can be correlated. Incidentally, MVT passes without any problem.

Anyone else out there got any info to add? Anyone else brave enough to have a session with support chat?

jjschofield
Former Member
Message 27 of 1,143

I had an identical session with the support chat. They suggested 'updating the Windows'. I told them it was a lame answer and after checking for two minutes he suggested using the cleanse tool to remove and re-install. Alas the problem persists. I also have noticed times when it does not happen so will try to take note of which other processes are running. I just installed this after a spring clean wipe and reinstall of windows. I am trialling Office 2010 beta if that's common to anyone else???

Come on McAfee. Get this sorted. We all pay good money for your product and don't expext all this s**t. Also, whilst I've managed to find a fix for the annoying desktop icon being placed on boot up I also don't like the creation of a start menu folder evertime I boot up either. Who d'ya think you are? We are the cutomers and should be able to choose these things not you!!

Fingers crossed for a solution.

Message was edited by: Jason Schofield on 25/02/10 13:08:43 CST
kmrahul1
Former Member
Message 28 of 1,143

Rabbit and all,

I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience caused in this regard. Can some one give me your case number for the session with McAfee tech support chat?

Also, please send me your phone number, e-mail and convemninet time to me as private message. Mention your case number as well.

Graffin75
Former Member
Message 29 of 1,143

Well, the error's back, so it's definitely not fixed.

Still unsure as to why the error didn't occur the last couple of times i've shutdown... weird.

As for the tech support chat, that didn't go too well for me either.

It was like they didn't know what I was on about. I even gave them the URL to this thread.

Can I scream now?

Nah, it's not that bad... it's annoying, but otherwise the product works... or at least I hope it does.

Guess i'll be going back to using Norton once my subscription ends in 2 months.

For everyone else out there experiencing this problem... are all of you running Windows XP?

At the moment, I think that's the only thing we all have in common.

jjschofield
Former Member
Message 30 of 1,143

Rahul,

My case number is 484570-461692083. I'm also posting the conversation I saved to show the quality of your call centre :-

> Thank you for contacting McAfee Consumer Support. How can I help you?

Arjun: Hi Jason, this is Arjun from McAfee Technical Support and I would be assisting you today.

Customer: hi

Customer: I'm getting an error on shutdown caused by McSvHost.exe

Customer: It started after updating to 2010 version

Arjun: Jason, for verification purpose, may I have your home telephone number with area code first?

Customer: ************

Arjun: Thank you for the information.

Arjun: If my understanding is correct, you are getting an error  message  while trying to download the product. Is that right?

Customer: NO

Customer: I update to the 2010 product and since then I'm getting an error everytime I shutdown. I notice on your community forum that many users are getting the same problem

Arjun: I would like to gather basic technical information about your computer. You would receive a Pop Up . Please click on "OK" to provide me with this information.

> representative Arjun has requested system information from customer Customer.

> customer Customer has sent system information to representative Arjun.

Customer: The error is caused by the McSvHost.exe file accessing memory address

Arjun: Thank you for providing me the system information.

Arjun: How do you currently connect to the Internet? (Dial-up, DSL, Cable, or Wireless)

Customer: DSL

Arjun: Thank you for being on hold Jason, I really appreciate your patience.

Arjun: Jason, have you done system restore recently?

Customer: No

Arjun: Are you getting this error while you trying to shutdown?

Customer: Yes everytime

Customer: Only started since update to 2010 version of McAfee

Arjun: Jason, in this case we suggest you to update the windows to fix the issue.

Arjun: To update the Windows, please open the Internet Explorer, Click on Tools > Windows update.

Customer: That's a lame answer. Windows update is fully upto date. Check your own website forums and you'll see that many users are having this issue - check this link http://community.mcafee.com/thread/21993?start=15&tstart=0

Arjun: Jason, are you able to see the process in task manager?

Customer: Yes

Arjun: Jason, may I know how much CPU usage is using by the process "McSvHost.exe"?

Customer: Right now - none. Problem only occurs after shutdown. It seems to try writing something to a memory address which causes the error

Customer: Sorry mem usage is 11372 CPU isnone

Arjun: Jason, may I place you on hold for 2 minutes while I check this issue?

Customer: yes fine

Customer: check the link I gave you

Arjun: Thank you for being on hold Jason.

Arjun: Jason, in this case, we suggest you to run the McAfee cleanup tool and then reinstall the McAfee Internet Security to resolve from the issue.

Arjun: Is that okay with you?

Customer: what's the cleanup tool?

Arjun: Jason, mcpr tool will help to remove all the traces of McAfee product from your computer

Customer: where is it? Do I run this first then reinstall from the website?

Arjun: http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Arjun: Please Click on the link and Run the tool now.

Arjun: Jason, after restarting the computer, please login to this link https://uk.mcafee.com/root/login.asp and reinstall McAfee.

Customer: Is this a definate solution? Or is it just worth trying? As I said many other users are affected so have you found the cause of the problem or is this just a guess?

Arjun: Jason, the information that I have provided will definitely resolve this issue. However, if you need any assistance, please do not hesitate to contact us again. We will be glad to assist you. Your reference number for this session is 484570-461692083.

Customer: Ok. I'll try it but am not happy. Product was working fine until this update. I now have to waste time removing and reinstalling!

Arjun: Incase if the issue is not resolved, we can escaalte the issue.

Arjun: Is there anything else I can assist you with your McAfee products now?

Customer: No, I'll be back to let you know how it went - either way. Thanks

Sorry for length of this post but not sure if you had access to this and as I remembered to save it ...
The guy doesn't seem to get the problem and I gave him the link. I think they're just following a script and response software and have no personality or service skills ... or tech know how!!
How's it going with the main problem? Any chance of an update on what you think so far?

Message was edited by: Jason Schofield on 26/02/10 00:32:15 CST
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community