Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 29

Re: McAffee update manager Service

Jump to solution

Most of the software is designed and implemented in the USA but the DAT's and security bulletins originate in the UK I believe.  Support is scattered but mostly in India.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/08/12 4:17:05 EDT PM
halton
Contributor III
Message 12 of 29

Jump to solution

I have taken your advice about uninstalling and then using the removal tool and then downloading another security centre and it worked like a charm.

The improvements that have been to that part of the website are great. Before I have to call customer service and have them do their thing etc. Now I just follow the links once I sign into my account.

Once again thanks for all the help and most importantly your patience.

Jerry

Message was edited by: halton on 19/08/12 3:04:52 CDT PM
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 13 of 29

Jump to solution

You're welcome and good luck 😉

Arrlington
Former Member
Message 14 of 29

Jump to solution

I appreciate your longstanding assistance to McAfee. Your suggested resolution worked for me. It only required about an hour of time in front of my machine to research the problem, locate this string of posts and follow the instructions.

Regarding the U.S. workforce, many of the McAfee programmers in the U.S. are also imported from India via an obscure work visa program called "H-1B" - either directly via McAfee or indirectly via such firms as Tata, Satyam, and Infosys, among others.  For readers interested in learning more about this program, I suggest searching for U.C. Davis Computer Science Professor Norm Matloff's website on this topic. Search for BOTH phrases "H-1B" and "Matloff" and choose the first reference.  You may also search by title for the PDF version of the 2012 report, "How Record Immigration Levels Robbed American High-Tech Workers of $10 Trillion." There have been almost 40 million visa admissions in just 5 high-skill work visa programs between FY 1975-2010.

rikku
Former Member
Message 15 of 29

Jump to solution

Hello, long time McAfee consumer here and I am having the same dilema as well. I get an error message when my mcafee is trying to update. Is this a problem with the software or server because I am not sure. The posts above confuse me and I am curious if this will get resolved quickly as I don't want to do anything I may regret. Thank you.

Arrlington
Former Member
Message 16 of 29

Jump to solution

Please follow the instructions provided by Ex_Brit. The procedure will likely solve your problem. Please tell the forum if it does not.

irontrilobite
Former Member
Message 17 of 29

Jump to solution

Having followed the instructions and removed McAfee, run the MCPR tool and rebooted I continue to receive a message that the Update Manager has crashed, referencing the file 002444~1.EXE which I can not even find.

I have cleaned McAfee references out of the Registry, run MCPR again and rebooted again only to be confronted by the same error message. So it appears that MCPR does not remove everything!

Attempting to download the installation package results in the system seeing it as a different PC, meaning that another license will be used.

So, my PC is currently completely unprotected...

Advice to resolve this issue would be welcome to say the very least.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 18 of 29

Jump to solution

irontrilobite wrote:

Having followed the instructions and removed McAfee, run the MCPR tool and rebooted I continue to receive a message that the Update Manager has crashed, referencing the file 002444~1.EXE which I can not even find.

I have cleaned McAfee references out of the Registry, run MCPR again and rebooted again only to be confronted by the same error message. So it appears that MCPR does not remove everything!

Attempting to download the installation package results in the system seeing it as a different PC, meaning that another license will be used.

So, my PC is currently completely unprotected...

Advice to resolve this issue would be welcome to say the very least.

MCPR, provided it's a fresh download, as it's updated frequently, removes everything that bthe home products install.  Are you asure it was a newly downloaded MCPR and that it's the home product you are trying to remove/reinstall?   The update notice - can you post a screen shot please?

Technical Support is available free of charge 24/7 via online chat and linked under Useful Links at the top of the page.  Also free phone support is available through the same link 0900 - 1800 Monday to Friday in your area.  They are probably your best avenue of support at this stage.

irontrilobite
Former Member
Message 19 of 29

Jump to solution

Since MCPR was downloaded moments before use from the linked page in this topic, I assume it's current... and yes it's the home product.

i will pursue the matter further with Tech Support.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 20 of 29

Jump to solution

OK good luck.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community