Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
halton
Contributor III
Message 1 of 29

McAffee update manager Service

Jump to solution

I just started getting error messages about my McAffee update manager. This started yesterday. I thought it might be a fluke by windows but I have gotten one

today. Is this just a windows thing or is it serious?

My operating is Windows Vista HomePremium 32 bit Processor and my Internet Browser is IE8.

"McAffee Update Manager Service Stopped Working" was the error message. I am enclosed a file with the actual message.

Thank you for your help.

Jerry

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 11 of 29

Re: McAffee update manager Service

Jump to solution

Most of the software is designed and implemented in the USA but the DAT's and security bulletins originate in the UK I believe.  Support is scattered but mostly in India.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/08/12 4:17:05 EDT PM

View solution in original post

28 Replies
ms421
Former Member
Message 2 of 29

Jump to solution

I'm having the same problem . . . hope they resolve this soon!

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 29

Jump to solution

It's most likely due to server issues so I wouldn't worry.  You are using Vista SP2 I trust and by the way you should be using IE9.   Things may behave better if that was up to date as McAfee relies on IE.

If it continues contact Technical Support.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/08/12 12:18:57 EDT PM
Arrlington
Former Member
Message 4 of 29

Jump to solution

McAfee Error Message 08 19 12.jpg I'm having the same problem with Windows Vista Home Ultimate SP2 and IE9. However, the whole program seems to be dead. I get this error message that I have never seen before.

hese
Former Member
Message 5 of 29

Jump to solution

I've been having the same problem for several days: started Aug18. The errors are: McAfee Update Manager Service: Stopped Working (two episodes on Aug18) and McAfee Update Manager Service: Stopped Working (Aug19). On each occasion, it slams my internet connection (actually all network connections) closed. My only way out is to do a system restore. Very annoying!

Problem signature

Problem Event Name:    APPCRASH

Application Name:    mcshield.exe

Application Version:    14.4.0.387

Application Timestamp:    4ee2c0e2

Fault Module Name:    KERNELBASE.dll

Fault Module Version:    6.1.7601.17651

Fault Module Timestamp:    4e21213c

Exception Code:    c0000002

Exception Offset:    000000000000cacd

OS Version:    6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.1

Locale ID:    1033

Files that help describe the problem

AppCompat.txt

WERInternalMetadata.xml

WERDataCollectionFailure.txt

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 29

Jump to solution

There is a problem with a recent update to SecurityCenter and, if DAT 6809 doesn't help, uninstall, run MCPR cleanup tool, reboot and reinstall from you rtonline account.   System Restore only confuses the software regarding time and so needs to be updated immediately anyway.

See TS101446  http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?lc=1033&id=TS101446

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 29

Jump to solution

That cured my issues.

halton
Contributor III
Message 8 of 29

Jump to solution

I just tried to update to dat version 6809 it looked like it was searching for something but then I got an error message: An error has occurred.

Do I just wait for McAffee to correct this issue or should I do something on my own?

Jerry

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 9 of 29

Jump to solution

Read that article 2 posts back...follow the last suggestion but I would add to it, uninstall first in the normal way, before running the MCPR tool.

If you simply run the tool then your online account will think you are adding another mmachine when you go to download again.

I've posted an announcement at the top of the main home section about this and can only apologise on McAfee's behalf.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 19/08/12 1:38:52 EDT PM
Arrlington
Former Member
Message 10 of 29

Jump to solution

Peter:  I'm uninstalling now. As a long-time McAfee customer, I remember when McAfee was a very solid product. Of course, back then, all of the programming was done in the United States. From what I understand, almost all of the product work is now done in India.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community