cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
manan
Former Member
Message 1 of 10

McAfee wants a restart even after I restart; you must restart your computer before installing McAfee products?

Hi ! i am facing the same problem ...I installed McAfee online ......when it was installing it stopped ......now when i try to reinstall it it shows the same error message ....
i did not find $mcreboot file ....and even the volatile file in registry .....then i even tried the MCPR  tool ..restaerted the pc..but i find the same error message
i am using dell laptop......

9 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 10

Re: McAfee wants a restart even after I restart; you must restart your computer before installing McAfee products?

I gave you your own thread as the software they are talking about in the 7 year-old thread is obsolete.

If you have already run the regular uninstaller in Control Panel > Programs and Features, reboot, then run the MCPR cleanup tool from THIS link and reboot again.

Then try to install your product from your online account or whatever media you are initially using if you don't yet have an account.

Peter

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 10

Re: McAfee wants a restart even after I restart; you must restart your computer before installing McAfee products?

If that continues Intel/McAfee Technical Support is free by phone & they will take you through it step-by-step:  Contact Support 

manan
Former Member
Message 4 of 10

the problem is continuing  moreover the technical support is not opening

The service.mcafee.com page isn’t working

service.mcafee.com didn’t send any data.

ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 10

You may have malware onboard.  I suggest scanning with MalwareBytes Free in Safe Mode with Networking.

(It can be downloaded, installed and run all in that mode)

See link here under Free 3rd Party Tools and note the instructions on keeping it free:

Then the support link may work.  If not tell me which country you are in and I will try to get the support phone number for you.

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 10

Apologies.....typos in above post rectified.

sivasubramanian
Message 7 of 10

Hi

Please contact our Technical Support : Technical Support & Customer Service

Siva N

If this information was helpful in any way or answered your question, please mark it as the accepted solution and give Kudos if appropriate.
tech-master
Contributor
Message 8 of 10

Try one of the following:

Method 1:

- enable seeing hidden files just in case

- open your C Drive and search for "mcreboot". It would take awhile but eventually the little sucker must appear. Delete it.

- reboot

- run your mcafee installation again

Note: On some occasions you wont be allowed to delete it in normal mode so you would have to boot into safe mode.

Method 2:

-.download SysInternals AutoRuns Tool. Autoruns for Windows Be careful though. When you unzip the contain the the "Autorunsc" is for the server version. 

- Run Autoruns.exe as administrator

- search for mcreboot

- un-check it so it wount auto start

- reboot

- run mcafee installation again.

Greetings!

stipprn
Former Member
Message 9 of 10

It is unacceptable the MCPR  tool does NOT clean up the system.

what a Company...........

Improper/ useless MCPR tool makes me waste half hour of my life to fix up McAfee "restart problem" . This problem looks to be chronic since someone before related same problem in a version 7 yr old.

Why not develop  an efficiently MCPR tool to save users' time????

unacceptable

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 10

stipprn wrote:

It is unacceptable the MCPR  tool does NOT clean up the system.

what a Company...........

Improper/ useless MCPR tool makes me waste half hour of my life to fix up McAfee "restart problem" . This problem looks to be chronic since someone before related same problem in a version 7 yr old.

Why not develop  an efficiently MCPR tool to save users' time????

unacceptable

Most of the time it does remove everything, as long as it's been freshly downloaded as it changes often, plus certain older types of software such as Anti-Theft etc. aren't removable that way anyway.

Also a lot depends on whether or not the files are intact and haven't been modified by registry cleaners and the like.

In my long experience it has never failed me.   You must restart after running the tool otherwise it will undo all what it's found.

The OP is complaining that after a restart, having removed the programme in the normal fashion, why should he have to restart once again after running the tool.  At least that's what I understand.

It all depends on what features are installed.   Sometime the only required restart is after running the tool.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community