cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ibenson
Former Member
Message 11 of 13

Re: McAfee wants a restart even after I restart; you must restart your computer before installing McAfee products?

Jump to solution

It was telling me to restart when I chose the option to install the program.

I ended up performing a System Restore on the computer to a point before unistalling McAfee the first time, and have started from scratch again and I have been able to successfully install and activate the program.  Thank you for your help anyway. 

YDJB
Contributor
Message 12 of 13

Re: McAfee wants a restart even after I restart; you must restart your computer before installing Mc

Jump to solution

Hello.  I could not find this installation file.  I could not find the file in the registry either.  I have a brand new PC with Windows 10 Home.  I think the issue was that I tried to install McAfee while I was installing Windows updates.  Now, when I initiate the McAfee installation program, a notice comes up saying "You must restart your PC to complete installation".  All I can do is click OK, and then nothing happens.  No restart - nothing.  Please help.  Thank you.

Laggi
Contributor
Message 13 of 13

Re: McAfee wants a restart even after I restart; you must restart your computer before installing Mc

Jump to solution

Hello,

I have the same problem on Windows 11 Pro. I had installed McAfee Total Protection on my computer. Then the subscription expired and I chose to buy a new one instead of renewing the existing. Thus I had to download and install again the McAfee Total Protection. I didn't uninstall the existing McAfee because I thought that the installator would take care of it. Unfortunately, this didn't work as expected. The installator detected the existing McAfee and it tried to remove it. Then it prompted for restart. After the restart the installator is always prompting again for restart.

I have already tried the 3 solutions suggested here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zRMPFdHsSjw i.e. the Pre-Install Tool, running the installator with Admin account and the MCPR tool. They all failed to make the installation continue.

Also I tried to find this in my PC but I can't: 

Click start - all programs - start up and check for "$mcreboot" - delete this program and try installing again.

Also I tried to edit the Registry but I can't find this Volatile file either.

However, I noticed that there are still the following processes running in the Task Manager and they cannot be deleted.

image.png

Is there any hint for me please? How can I continue the installation?

Thanks a lot in advance!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community