cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
PlutoRocks
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

McAfee wants a restart even after I restart; you must restart your computer before installing McAfee products?

Jump to solution

--------Background Info-------------->I recently have been having problems with McAfee Antivirus. Every time I log on to the Security Center screen it says, "system not protected" as a result, I tell it to "Fix it" and it updates. However, under the Computer section, it still says, "Spyware and Potentially Unwanted Program Scanning is disabled". I then manually turned it on. Only to be disappointed when it immediately turns itself back off. I tried this repeatedly with and without an internet connection and it does the same thing. If I try to run a scan of the system, I get the following error message:

"Error-Scan failed to start; result = -2147467259"

Anyway, I found an answer for this online, and was told to do this:
1. Uninstall all McAfee programs through "Add or Remove Programs" in Windows "Control Panel".
2. Use the MCPR tool

only problem is... I started uninstalling and then I started to run the MCPR tool WHILE I was uninstalling it (stupid, I know, I was distracted 😕 ), then realized this and canceled the MCPR tool prematurely to let the windows uninstaller work. After it uninstalled, I tried to run the MCPR tool but then it said: "CLEANUP FAILED; Cleanup is already running." So then I then I try to reinstall McAfee but it says "you must restart your computer before installing McAfee products" so I restart it and now every time I try to install McAfee I get "you must restart your computer before installing McAfee products" even when I have JUST restarted. How can I fix this?

--------Comp Info---------------> Vista 64bit, McAfee VirusScan Plus 2008

--------Question----------------> every time I try to install McAfee I get "you must restart your computer before installing McAfee products" even when I have JUST restarted. How can I fix this?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

Re: McAfee wants a restart even after I restart; you must restart your computer before installing McAfee products?

Jump to solution

Hi,
That's because there exists some traces of the older version in the computer.

Click start - all programs - start up and check for "$mcreboot" - delete this program and try installing again .This should work.

Thanks,
Dinesh K
Mcafee Online Community Moderator

View solution in original post

12 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 13

Re: McAfee wants a restart even after I restart; you must restart your computer before installing McAfee products?

Jump to solution

Hi,
That's because there exists some traces of the older version in the computer.

Click start - all programs - start up and check for "$mcreboot" - delete this program and try installing again .This should work.

Thanks,
Dinesh K
Mcafee Online Community Moderator

PlutoRocks
Former Member
Message 3 of 13

Jump to solution

awesome, it worked!! thanks!!

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

Jump to solution

You are welcome . .

Regards,

Dinesh K

Mcafee online Community Moderator

syr123
Former Member
Message 5 of 13

Jump to solution

I have the same problem i could not find that file. any help would be grateful thanks

Dinz
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi there,

Are you installing mcafee through a cd or from your online account ?
Also specify whether your mcafee programs were purchased or is it preinstalled with you computer (dell/toshiba)

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

syr123
Former Member
Message 7 of 13

Jump to solution

hi

i am installing from and online account, also it is Mcafee total protection i am trying to install and it was the same program before which was purchased. However it expired and i forgot my password and so created a new account and so instead of renewing the subscription i have to reinstall it. i am using a Acer Aspire 37357 on windows vista.

thanks.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 8 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi,

Click start – run – type regedit and press ok.

Now your are in the registry, its safe that we take a backup of it before proceeding.

How to take a back up of registry:

Click – export and save it to any location giving a file name. (You can sfely delete this after we are done)
I have even attached a picture for your easy reference.

registry.JPG

And now, Navigate to this location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\McAfee\Volatile and delete the folder that says volatile and close the registry . (Make sure that we do not delete any others)

Restart the computer and try installing again , it should work.

Regards,
Dinesh K

ibenson
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Jump to solution

Hi, I have been having the same exact issue as the people above and have followed the instructions you gave.

Dinz wrote:

And now, Navigate to this location HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software\McAfee\Volatile and delete the folder that says volatile and close the registry . (Make sure that we do not delete any others)

However, when I get to the stage above there is no file named "Volatile", there is only one called "Core" and that is it.  I have restarted my computer over 12 times and I'm still getting the same error message when trying to install McAfee Total Protection.  I run Windows Vista on a Dell, and due to the fact the product was refusing to activate I have uninstalled and reinstalled the program multiple times earlier in the day, eventually downloading the online version from my account and it was after uninstalling this version to try the CD again that the message has appeared.  Assistance would be greatly appreciated.

Dinz
Former Member
Message 10 of 13

Jump to solution

Could you please confirm whether it prompts you to restart the computer during installation or while opening security center ?

Regards,
Dinesh K

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community