cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
OregonGreen1792
Contributor
Message 1 of 2

McAfee virus scan did not detect MSFTconnectTest virus. Cannot connect to public wifi.

Jump to solution

Hello,

I purchased McAfee in an effort to remove a virus in my computer that I notice whenever I try to connect to any public or work wifi network. Whenever I try to sign on to a new wifi network, my browser quickly redirects to "MFSTconnecttest.com" before completely failing to connect to the wifi.

I ran a full virus scan after purchasing a year-long subscription to McAfee, but the scan failed to detect any virus. What do I do here?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 2

Re: McAfee virus scan did not detect MSFTconnectTest virus. Cannot connect to public wifi.

Jump to solution

Is that actually a vitus seems so google shows that

"This URL is used by Microsoft Windows 10 and above to test if you have a working internet connection."

Suggestion is to reset the network properties.

Also Google says

To use network reset, your PC must be running Windows 10 Version 1607 or later. To see which version of Windows 10 your device is currently running, select the Start button, then select Settings > System > About.

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet > Status > Network reset.
  2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.

Wait for your PC to restart and see if that fixes the problem.

Also

Apparently Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, thought this was a good idea to bake into Windows. You can stop it by manually editing this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet\EnableActiveProbing

and setting it's value from 1 to 0.

View solution in original post

1 Reply
Peacekeeper
Message 2 of 2

Re: McAfee virus scan did not detect MSFTconnectTest virus. Cannot connect to public wifi.

Jump to solution

Is that actually a vitus seems so google shows that

"This URL is used by Microsoft Windows 10 and above to test if you have a working internet connection."

Suggestion is to reset the network properties.

Also Google says

To use network reset, your PC must be running Windows 10 Version 1607 or later. To see which version of Windows 10 your device is currently running, select the Start button, then select Settings > System > About.

1. Select the Start button, then select Settings  > Network & Internet > Status > Network reset.
  2. On the Network reset screen, select Reset now > Yes to confirm.

Wait for your PC to restart and see if that fixes the problem.

Also

Apparently Microsoft, in their infinite wisdom, thought this was a good idea to bake into Windows. You can stop it by manually editing this registry key:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\NlaSvc\Parameters\Internet\EnableActiveProbing

and setting it's value from 1 to 0.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community