Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 11 of 19

Re: McAfee update prevents WindowsXP from loading properly

The symptoms you describe would seem to suggest that you have a problem with your video adapter drivers. Before you do anything else, now that you've got SP3 go back to Microsoft Windows Update and check for any outstanding updates, both Critical and Custom. Then do a manual check for McAfee updates. If there was a conflict caused by a particular update, it may have been corrected.

There may be more information about the circumstances of the error in your system Event Logs - you need to track down the Event Viewer, which is accessible from the Start menu (I can't say exactly where, because I've changed all the contents around in mine, and it's currently showing under System Utilities, which you might not have). Open the Event Viewer and look under the System and Application sub-headings.

Then read through this document from the Microsoft KnowledgeBase :

"How to troubleshoot a Stop 0x0000007E error in Windows XP".

This article outlines a number of steps you can take to narrow down the possible reasons for the occurrence of the error message (although I suspect that it's a driver problem).

Be warned that if you decide to contact Microsoft Support for help in resolving this problem you will be expected to pay for their assistance.

There may be more information about the circumstances of the error in your system Event Logs - you need to track down the Event Viewer, which is accessible from the Start menu (I can't say exactly where, because I've changed all the contents around in mine, and it's currently showing under System Utilities, which you might not have). Open the Event Viewer and look under the System and Application sub-headings.

burnsy
Former Member
Message 12 of 19

Thanks.  I found the following under the Event Viewer:-

The following boot-start or system-start driver(s) failed to load:

AFD

Fips

intelppm

IPSec

mfehidk

mfetdi2k

MRxSmb

NetBIOS

NetBT

RasAcd

Rdbss

Tcpip

I only found one reference to this on 6/16; unfortunately, under System, the logs don't go back to 5/31 or 6/1; the day of the update and the day after.  I couldn't find anything relevant under Application.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 13 of 19

Whatever this is it's not just a video-driver issue. I don't think that full list of drivers has been mentioned anywhere in the Microsoft forums, or any of the other places where I've seen the 0x7e error discussed.

I've passed on the details to a couple of McAfee people who will have a look at this. They may ask you to allow someone to access your PC remotely to do some troubleshooting.

The only other option that has been suggested, and one that might fix the issue, is to uninstall your McAfee application (from Add/Remove Programs) then to run the MCPR tool to clean up the remnants, and then to reinstall McAfee from scratch. If there's a product update that hasn't installed properly that would take care of it, but without knowing the primary cause of this I can't guarantee it.

burnsy
Former Member
Message 14 of 19

Thank you Hayton:-

I would be happy to speak to McAfee people and take the necessary steps to try to clean up my computer.

With regard to uninstall/install, I did try that.  I was able to uninstall successfully via the Add/Remove Programs, but I was unable to use MCPR tool - it failed on attempting to uninstall.  I did then reinstall McAfee but obviously, since the uninstall was incomplete, the problem was not resolved.

Thanks

burnsy
Former Member
Message 15 of 19

Hi Hayton:-

I just wanted to follow up with you as I haven't heard from anyone from McAfee.

Thanks

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 16 of 19

Mea culpa. One of my McAfee contacts was off sick, but I did get a reply back from someone else in McAfee who came up with a few suggestions for you to try : one of them was to do what you said you tried to do, namely uninstall and run MCPR. I haven't heard of MCPR failing before, so that doesn't look too good.

I've been away pursuing other threads for a while so I need to refresh my memory on this - there were very many possible causes, and I had lots of different sites I was using.

I note from the list you gave above that many of the items are network-related, although some of them are McAfee; and they're not drivers but processes and services. So things aren't starting up correctly, it seems. Time to start narrowing this down.

First, there are entries in the Event Logs. Can you take a screen shot of the System Log in Event Viewer so I can see the entries, the sequence, and the error codes involved?

Second, when you get ERROR do you also get the infamous Windows Blue Screen? If you do, then you also get a log file when you restart which gives some information about the reason for it. I might be able to divine something from that log, or you may have to take to Microsoft's forums for tech help.

(Edit - Ignore that. Rereading your posts I see that you already said you don't get a BSOD).

If not, can you take a screenshot the next time the error message comes up : it's the extra information in the message I need.

Third, did you read through that KnowledgeBase article? It has information, suggestions, and links to other articles (and to Microsoft support, although you would have to pay for their techs to help you. They're good though.)

Message was edited by: Hayton on 30/06/11 19:28:08 IST
Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 17 of 19

Rats. I meant to include a list of the suggestions I received for you to try in my previous message. These might be worth trying, but I'd like a bit more information first before you do any of these. The overall advice I got was

... this sounds like an OS issue, could be hardware, software or something else.

- which just about covers all the bases, I would have thought. The specific suggestions were -

- Run msconfig and disable all non MS application and test

- Enable McAfee apps and test

- Enable some other apps and retest

- (Go into) safe mode with networking, does it boot, if so run check disk. (M)ay need to reboot to complete a proper test.

- ... run MCPR and test without McAfee applications installed. We have seen a few strange stop issues with hardware in the past. I am not aware of any current issues.

(You've tried MCPR and it failed. Leave this for now, I'll ask about the failure and see if I can any info about that.)

- Try restore point (if they have one)

(You don't, you already said that.)

- Try Windows repair install

(This looks like an if-all-else-fails option. Hold off on that for now.)

I'd like you to follow up on the Microsoft article, if you still have the problem, before uninstalling anything.

Hayton
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 18 of 19

Skipping Blarty-fargo's post, which looks as if it's been put here in error (there's a separate thread for the 64008 message issue). If he agrees, it can be deleted.

Peacekeeper
Message 19 of 19

You still having problems the thread has gone quiet

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community