Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
wayson
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

McAfee unable to update

Jump to solution

I went on a two-week vacation, and came back tonight to McAfee refusing to update itself.  I had DAT 6806, and upon doing a system restore to the day before I left reverted to DAT 6805.  The problem persists. 

I suspect that it's related in some fashion to https://community.mcafee.com/thread/47768?start=0&tstart=0, but the fact that I did a system restore to an earlier DAT leaves me skeptical.  I did run the MVT, and it did not resolve the issue. 

To be specific about the problem, McAfee's autoupdate is unable to update.  When I try to force an update, it checks for updates successfully and then fails when it tries to download them.  Attempts to verify my subscription also fail, despite my subscription being valid until the 30th of December.  This is not a critical issue at the moment, but will become so if not addressed.  Is my only recourse to uninstall McAfee and then reinstall?

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee unable to update

Jump to solution

Hi wayson,

You must run the MVT before doing a system restore, which would have fixed your issue.

Now, you can use the below link to remove all the installed McAfee products:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

& you can reinstall the McAfee software back from home.mcafee.com

View solution in original post

5 Replies
JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi wayson,

You must run the MVT before doing a system restore, which would have fixed your issue.

Now, you can use the below link to remove all the installed McAfee products:

http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

& you can reinstall the McAfee software back from home.mcafee.com

wayson
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Jump to solution

I actually did run the MVT before doing a system restore, which is how I know that it did not fix the issue.  The system restore was my last resort before coming here; I don't really like doing them as a rule. 

Thanks for the link to the MCPR; was hoping it wouldn't come to that but seems as if that's the easiest fix action at this point.

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi wayson,

Did you tried running the MVT by downloading it from online or the one which was already there on your PC?

Also, please do update me on the McAfee Product status once after the reinstallation.

wayson
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

Jump to solution

When I ran the MVT, I downloaded it instead of relying on the one already on the PC.  (If there even was one; I didn't check to see.) 

Uninstalling and reinstalling from scratch seems to have resolved the issue.  DAT is 6820, and forcing an update did not result in a recurrence of the error.  Subscription verification was also attempted and completed successfully. 

Problem resolved, but I still wonder what on earth caused it in the first place.

JaiPrakash
Former Member
Message 6 of 6

Jump to solution

Hi wayson,

There was an issue with the DAT 6807. Since you had the DAT 6806, I think that could be a reason for the Update issue.

Great, good to hear that your computer is fully secure now.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community