cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
inversematrix
Former Member
Message 1 of 2

McAfee tray icon disappears - unable to open security center 9.0

I recently had a virus infection on my desktop, so I d/l and installed McAfee Total Protection 2009. After cleaning the PC with McAfee and Malwarebytes, I can not open the McAfee security center program. After rebooting my WinXP PC, the M tray icon appears briefly, then disappears. When I try to open the program from Start>Programs, the splash screen appears briefly, then nothing happens.

I've tried uninstalling/reinstalling McAfee using the procedure described in many of these posts, but nothing helps. I also tried using SafeMode, but the same thing happens.

This is a similar problem to this post: http://community.mcafee.com/showthread.php?t=217640

but I do not have the registry entry:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon_disable
Labels (1)
1 Reply
earthdragunz
Former Member
Message 2 of 2

RE: McAfee tray icon disappears - unable to open security center 9.0

try this:

- click Start, then Run
- type in "msconfig" (without the quotes)
- on the System Configuration Utility, make sure that the option "Normal Startup" is enabled

also, McAfee won't load in Safe Mode since it basically disables all 3rd party applications not critical to Windows.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community