cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
ntwkr2011
Contributor
Message 1 of 3

McAfee says it removed old software, must restart to install new?

We just renewed our McAfee subscription a week ago on two computers. One installed new elements today, no problem. The other just ran the update red circle, lower right of computer, then displayed big screen saying, "Removing existing McAfee Software. Click restart now. The installation will continue where it left off."

The Microsoft security center shows the computer as unprotected.

Is this a legitimate function of McAfee, or some virus trying to delete our protection?

2 Replies
k3tg
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee says it removed old software, must restart to install new?

I suggest you uninstall via Add/Remove programs and reboot the computer. Go to Useful Links at the top of this page and run the MCPR removal tool and reboot gain. MCPR will remove any traces of the former installation that has apparently became corrupted when you were attempting to install the renewal.

Login to your online McAfee account and download and install your software. This should resolve your issue as the other computer is ok based on what you previously said.

ntwkr2011
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee says it removed old software, must restart to install new?

Thank you for replying.

I ended up posting this in a previous thread, one in which I had already uninstalled McAfee and had updated to this presumably new version.

I wasn't able to do what you suggest, because by the time I saw this screen, McAfee had already been uninstalled to the extent that there was no trace in Add/Remove programs.

In the end, after using a few programs to check for malware, I restarted the computer. It appears to have been a legit McAfee program uninstall/reinstall.

Why the same process didn't occur on our other computer, with the same McAfee that I had just recently installed, I don't know!

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community