cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
bobxmerrison
Former Member
Message 1 of 3

McAfee installed itself!

I recently noticed a big red M appear as an icon on my desk top without me knowingly  installing a single thing yet there it was! Have you found some under  hand way of getting your software onto unsuspecting users machines's? I  already have the Microsoft secutiry suite installed and have not  installed any new software recently and so have use for Mcafee, if 3rd  party vendors are responsible I suggest you ask them to stop. What ever  the cause I suggest you get it stopped!

Message was edited by: bobxmerrison on 22/03/10 16:32:11 CDT
2 Replies
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 3

Re: McAfee installed itself!

It simply can't happen.  There are some possible explanations however.  Your ISP perhaps is plugging it?  Or you have just installed something from (for one example) Adobe and forgotten to uncheck the box that installs "McAfee Security Scan" which is merely a lightweight scan of your machine and was an optional installation with their software.

Check your Control Panel/Add or Remove Programs (XP), Programs/Uninstall a Program (Vista/Windows 7) and check what McAfee entries are there.  Post what is listed.

Meanwhile you can just as quickly remove it from their using the standard uninstaller.

As a insurance run the McAfee removal tool (MCPR) listed in Useful Links at the top of this page.  (Assuming it's home products)

Sorry you've been inconvenienced.

Message was edited by: Ex_Brit on 22/03/10 6:48:54 EDT PM
Paul5
Contributor
Message 3 of 3

Re: McAfee installed itself!

I had the same thing happen, McAfee install on my computer without me knowing. I downloaded Acrobat reader and got a bonus I didn't ask for or want.  A bit sneaky if you ask me. Now I am having troubles uninstalling this unwanted app.   

I clicked uninstall in the control panel settings like any other app to uninstall it but then a partial screen of a McAfee page pops up.  From what I can make out it's a page saying how dangerous it is to uninstall and I'm tipping somewhere, where I cannot access or see is the button to uninstall the app.  Why can't I see this button and why is McAfee making it so hard to uninstall?

I have run the MCPR which took ages and nothing was removed??? What was it doing?? Installing more unwanted garbage on my computer? 

This is just unacceptable and a cheap trick from such a tech giant if you ask me. What do I need to do to remove this app? I think you guys need to remove the pop up warning of the danger removing it will be and just let it be uninstalled normally like every other app. 

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community