Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
nfox25
Former Member
Message 1 of 19

McAfee install hangs Win8.1

Jump to solution

Hi, i decided to buy McAfee but first wan't to try it and faced install problem. I have windows 8.1 x64 (not upgrade), downloaded McAfeeSetup.exe (tried with FF, Chrome(x64), IE ) but when install starts it's hangs on "Cleaning Treats on Your PC" the problem persists even after windows reset to factory. And i can't kill install process in task manager (says not enought rights), after pc reboot instalation starts again and hangs on the same place. I rebooted pc in safe mode then killed instal process and deleted all files in temp, program files, common files, system32, app data folders and removed created service. McPreInstall.exe didn't helped me.

PC config

Intel Pentium G2030

M/B - MSI H61M-P20(G3)

RAM - 6GB (DDR3)

Two Sata HDD's (650GB)

Internet:

Provider SIA "Lattelecom"

ADSL 10MB/s

Instaled programs:

VC Redist 2010/2012 x86 and x64

Chrome x64

Firefox

And all current windows 8.1 updates

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 19

Re: McAfee install hangs Win8.1

Jump to solution

First make sure Windows is up to date, especially IE11 as McAfee relies on it.  It doesn't have to be your default browser but should always be kept up to date.

Then uninstall all McAfee software via Control Panel > Programs and Features

Run MCPR cleanup tool and reboot (complete power off and back on - if Windows 8 rapid or fast boot is switched on, turn it off, Tutorial here:  Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8 )

Install again from your online account.  The installer should automatically disable Windows Defender and that should remain disabled.

View solution in original post

18 Replies
SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 2 of 19

Jump to solution

Are you sure you're downloading the software from a legitimate site? No McAfee software would display a message of "Cleaning Treats on Your PC"..

It also sounds like you don't have administrator rights on your PC - that's required to install and manage software.

Start by telling us exactly what you are downloading - the URL or site.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 19

Jump to solution

Did you by chance have prior Anti-virus Security Software installed? After uninstalling from your Control Panel, if this is indeed the case. I would recommend that you use the Applications individual (Removal Tool).

This in most cases is the culprit of your problems.

I might add that Safeboot has valid points, especially in regards to Administrative Rights.

Regards,

Catdaddy

McAfee Moderator

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
nfox25
Former Member
Message 4 of 19

Jump to solution

I downloaded it after registering my account on mcafee.com, download link is (http://download.mcafee.com/molbin/iss-loc/mmi/en-us/6.8.704/12/McAfeeSetup-AutoLogin.exe), below i provide screenshoot.McAfeeInstall.jpg

nfox25
Former Member
Message 5 of 19

Jump to solution

I would agreed if my pc would not be reseted to factory defaults with format whole hdd option. It won't install on fresh windows.

SafeBoot
MVP
MVP
Message 6 of 19

Jump to solution

Ok, so it did say "Cleaning Threats", not "Cleaning Treats"...

How long did you leave it for? It may take a while if there's data on your drive.

catdaddy
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 19

Jump to solution

Again,Did you have previous Anti-Virus software installed? As for the "Download Location" and the reformatting, I will step back and allow Safeboot to assist you, or quite possibly another Moderator could add to the discussion.

All the very best,

Regards,

Catdaddy

Cliff
McAfee Volunteer
nfox25
Former Member
Message 8 of 19

Jump to solution

Im not sure but approx. 2Hours, and look at task manager screenshot, is that allright that instalation didn't use any resources ?

taskmanager.jpg

Ok i passed scaning problem by launching setup with admin rights in windows 7 compatibility mode, but now i have another error. Screenshoot below.

installincomplete.jpg

nfox25
Former Member
Message 9 of 19

Jump to solution

No, previous Anti-Virus software not installed, there is only default built in Microsoft Security Essentials also known as Windows Defender

exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 19

Jump to solution

First make sure Windows is up to date, especially IE11 as McAfee relies on it.  It doesn't have to be your default browser but should always be kept up to date.

Then uninstall all McAfee software via Control Panel > Programs and Features

Run MCPR cleanup tool and reboot (complete power off and back on - if Windows 8 rapid or fast boot is switched on, turn it off, Tutorial here:  Fast Startup - Turn On or Off in Windows 8 )

Install again from your online account.  The installer should automatically disable Windows Defender and that should remain disabled.

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community