cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
tmoore99
Former Member
Message 1 of 13

McAfee fix it or I'm gone

I guess McAfee figures it doesn't need to fix problems with Security Center 9. Maybe they think that they can blow off a bunch of users and their problems and there will still be plenty of others who will buy their stuff. I have used McAfee AV products for years and have recommended them to friends, family, and clients--but no more. Having Security Center 9 constantly telling me to verify my subscription (sometimes twice a day) or finding some part of Security Center has turned itself off after almost every update has gone past being a nuisance.

For reference I am an IT professional. I have also followed all the suggestions presented in the forum to fix the problem without success. My subscription is up in a couple of months and I will not be renewing if McAfee can't get their act together.

Bottom Line: If their programmers can't fix this problem, why should I trust them to protect my computers???????? And, why should you?????

Are you listening McAfee?

Sincerely,
A Former Fan
12 Replies
mededitor
Contributor
Message 2 of 13

RE: McAfee fix it or I'm gone

I agree 100% with tmoore99. This is happening to me on a regular basis (I have SecurityCenter 9.3) and quite honestly, if it's not fixed very soon, I'm gone. I'm running Windows XP (SP2) and IE7.

My computer is on when I'm away from my desk on a fairly regular basis and I do not want to return only to find that my McAfee SecurityCenter isn't protecting my computer! I might as well not have any protection running.

I have a valid license through October 2010 and I refuse to have to continually verify my subscription for no reason. McAfee automatically scans and downloads updates on a daily basis, shouldn't that be enough to verify that I have an active subscription?

I have seen recommendations that I completely uninstall the program and then reinstall it; I haven't seen anyone indicate that that procedure works. Quite honestly, I paid good money for this program and I shouldn't have to take the time to do a complete uninstall and then reinstall a program that had been working. Is McAfee going to pay me for my time because of its bug?

McAfee---fix the bug, provide a patch, or admit that this will be an ongoing problem so your customers can make informed decisions about what to do. If I don't see action within the next week or so, I'm ditching McAfee, demanding a refund for my unused license, and heading off to another security suite. No AV/security suite is perfect, but leaving my computer unprotected with no notice and no reason is not acceptable, particularly not for a security suite that requires purchase.

I'm interested to see if anyone responds to this thread, as I see that no one has since tmoore99 started it yesterday (over 24-hours ago from my posting). That alone speaks volumes.

I held up my end of the contract, now it's time for McAfee to hold up its end! :mad:

mededitor
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 3 of 13

They are only too painfully aware of the issues, we make sure of that. 2 out of 3 causes for the Systemguard failures have already been addressed and, from what I've observed, the 3rd one seems to be almost licked as I'm no longer getting the "Fix" nuisance all the time.

We have been assured that the new 2010 product is totally different in approach and will not even have Systemguards per se, not as they are now anyway and it will also command a much smaller footprint and use fewer resources. I don't know much else about it I'm afraid at the stage of the game, but the impression we Moderators get is that it's a new approach altogether.

It should be available for beta testing in a few weeks for anyone interested. See my sticky HERE.

Meanwhile, sorry that some of you are having these difficulties but no software is perfect in my experience. The developers only learn from customer experiences and the more you bombard Technical Support Chat the more they will take notice.

The verify subscription bug is usually caused either by system clock errors or browser settings being non-default, 3rd party software interfering or use of Registry Cleaners, which I do not recommend.
Dewy49r
Former Member
Message 4 of 13

Subscription information

Heres a twist how about the McAfee programmers making the Security Center only require a subscription check when you go log in and download it and during installation. Not during automatic updates. Whats the purpose of checking your subscription information after it is installed and verified?
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 5 of 13

RE: Subscription information

It isn't a normal requirement and as I stated it is a known issue. Repeated demands for subscription verification are usually caused by either system clock problems, abnormal Internet Explorer settings (McAfee relies on IE) or corrupted keys (Registry cleaners are often the cause). It can also be caused by certain kinds of spyware or even by competing software.

Solution is to uninstall, use the MCPR cleanup tool, reboot, if the tool fails do it again, then reinstall.

This kind of issue is certainly not unique to McAfee and if you haven't come across it elsewhere then you're lucky.

If you have a specific need for help then please post your own new topic, not tag on to someone else's and give more details.
tmoore99
Former Member
Message 6 of 13

Been there, done that

I've done all that---didn't work.

Terry
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 7 of 13

RE: Been there, done that

As it certainly isn't normal behaviour, there must be an unknown factor at play the we can't pinpoint in these forums. The next logical step is to ask Technical Support Chat to go into the machine(s) in question and find out why it's happening. They can also escalate the issue to a much higher level than we can. They are available 24/7 through the link at top left of the page and in my signautre.
richardvb
Contributor
Message 8 of 13

Good luck with the refund request, I did that about a month ago and have been completely ignored. No response at all.

Have done all the alleged "fixes" to no avail. Removed McAfee and Installed Norton on a laptop, never a problem. Norton here I come.

Richard
lost_canuck
Former Member
Message 9 of 13

Works or doesn't work, I'm gone when my subscription expires anyway.

Having to uninstall/reinstall with cleanup is ridiculous.

If they can't code themselves out of this hole I don't trust them to protect my computer anyway....
exbrit
MVP
MVP
Message 10 of 13

RE: Works or doesn't work, I'm gone when my subscription expires anyway.

OK guys, you've made your point. No-one from McAfee HQ reads these forums, they are provided by them as a courtesy only and are for asking for assistance with the products and are staffed by unpaid volunteers such as myself.

If you wish to protest do it by writing to HQ, see "About McAfee" at bottom left of this page.

If you don't like what we advise you to do nor what Technical Support suggest then there is no point in posting.

We also have nothing to with the sales side, so refunds are beyond the purview of these forums.
How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community