cancel
Showing results for 
Show  only  | Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
jimmsdn
Former Member
Message 1 of 6

McAfee cannot find my internet connection..

ok..  here's my situation (with the frustration removed..  )

i have mcafee security center V9 installed on my machine.  everything was working properly (about 2 months) until about a week ago (6/5/2010 update was last) when it could no longer find the internet for updates...

** so..  the installation...  **

--  i have a windows 2000 professional machine

--  not running any other antivirus products

--  running IE6 (mcafee was running successfully with IE 6 until 6/5/2010)

** the details of the problem... **

--  whenever i attempt to run live update, i get the message "SecurityCenter is not able to check for updates because there is no internet connection.  You must connect to the internet to download the..."

--  the internet connection is active and valid

--  all other applications can access the internet

--  all other McAfee functions work except the McAfee Virtual Technician

--  attempts to register the product, etc also give the same error message

** additional (possibly unrelated) issues **

-- attemps to run McAfee Virtual Technician start the application, then give message that Technician is corrupted and needs to be reinstalled.  After download and reinstall of Technician, help page says it cannot find Virtual Technician.  Attempt to manually restart Technician fails with corrupted items message (reboots were performed after install)

-- attempts to run McAfee chat say gotoassist page cannot download files to machine

** technical details **

-- no changes (no entries for that matter) in hosts file

-- no proxy active on machine (checked twice)

-- no firewall on machine (checked twice)

-- system priviledges (error under all users, but working under Administrator now)

** log files (under All Users\Application Data\McAfee\MCLOGS) **

-- mcsmttsk\McUpdate  :  repeated errors..  $ -- (Error)$ [  McUpdate.exe]$ RunFunction - found connection to internet not working. eConnectionStatus = 0

-- MISP\mcupdate : repeated errors...    $ -- (Error)$ [  McUpdate.exe]$ The update check failed!

$ -- (Error)$ [  McUpdate.exe]$ CoInitializeSecurity failed with 'RPC_C_AUTHN_LEVEL_NONE'. Error:  '0x80070057'

-- MISP\mcupdmgr : repeated errors (many), but first..

$ -- (Information)$ [  mcupdmgr.exe]$ --  Getting task handler for app id = MPF

$ -- (Error)$ [  mcupdmgr.exe]$ -- IMcApplicationInfo::GetTaskHandler ailed - HR = 0x80004001; lresult = 100663346

(there are a bunch of similar messages for other app id's in the log..  if they are relevant, let me know and ill add them, but also other stuff in this log file, too)

** attempted solutions **

-- after reading the forums, the Norton remover tool seemed to work for many, but no success here.

-- attempted hard wire connection, no difference

-- attempted turn on and off McAfee firewall just in case

-- turned on BITS service

-- research on above error messages seemed to suggest proxy issue, but none found..  attempted proxycfg.exe but got error finding winhttp5.dll

-- rebooted a couple hundred times...

-- did not change IE settings (McAfee working fine before, should not be the issue)

-- did not do uninstall/ reinstall (yet)

-- did not run Virtual Technician (could not run, technical difficulties)

** only change to machine on 6/5/2010 was to add another user to machine **

I'm guessing this is a uninstall/ reinstall candidate here, but if anybody has any last-ditch hope, or can understand the error messages and what they mean, please let me know...

ill chat with tech support tonight.. 

5 Replies
Dinz
Former Member
Message 2 of 6

Re: McAfee cannot find my internet connection..

Hello there,

May I know whether the machine in which you have the problem;  is completely uptodate with Microsoft updates ?
Also did we have any virus issues in the computer (previously ) or any malware pop ups at present

Please confirm the above so that we could help you to get this fixed.

Thanks ,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

jimmsdn
Former Member
Message 3 of 6

Hi, Dinz,

I appreciate you getting back to me on this one.  It was a toughie.  We actually determined there was a problem with Windows Update which also was causing McAfee to fail..  I had recently downloaded a bunch of updates from Microsoft since support for Windows 2000 was ending on the 13th and it seems that some of their updates to the Windows Update service corrupted the system and cause the entire O/S to crash.

From my discussions on numerous Windows forums, that seems to be a very common issue for Windows 2000 users.  It seems that microsoft put out updates in the last few months of Windows 2000 lifecycles which basically crash the O/S or render it unusable.  (Trying to fix the Windows Update issues effectively rendered my system unusable and destroyed the system state backups I had created, forcing me to do a complete reinstall of the O/S and all applications on my system)  Microsoft has been notified of the issue but has basically said it has no intention of fixing the issue, leading many to suspect that this was an intentional destruction of the O/S to force users to upgrade to newer versions.  (2000 is the last version without the machine linked licensing)

But maybe you can help me with the next issue I will have as I attempt to reinstall McAfee...

As of this point I have completely reinstalled the system and my basic apps, and manually downloaded and installed all of the hotfixes (except for those related to Windows Update).  I am now ready to install anti-virus software.  I have two questions:

1)  I am now running Norton Ghost 10.0 to make images of my system.  I understand that sometimes Norton products cause trouble with

McAfee.  Does that apply to Ghost too?

2)  Do I need to now install the Windows Update hotfix components for Windows Update service if I intend to install McAfee and use the LiveUpdate feature?  Do you know of any patches I should not install?  My intention is to install McAfee first (if it will not have an issue with Norton Ghost) and then test Live Update.  If unsuccessful, then to add WU hotfixes one by one and test to make sure system has not crashed again.

Any feedback/ advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Dinz
Former Member
Message 4 of 6

Hi,

Sorry for the delayed response . Answering your questions ;

1. Norton Ghost being an image software would not have any conflict with mcafee basically being antivirus software.

2. Regarding the windows live updates, complete them so as you can be srue which are the ones that really install and the ones that dont Then after the puter is been set up completely , go ahead and install your security software.

Do reply back if any issues .

Goodluck

Regards,
Dinesh K
McAfee Online Community Moderator

heatherglobalgo
Former Member
Message 5 of 6

I am having the same problem and I did have a virus on my computer. Antivirus action was infected but was removed. Something is still infecting.

Helpq1 Suggestions!

vinod_r2
Reliable Contributor
Reliable Contributor
Message 6 of 6

Perform these steps on the machine... then restart the computer once  done please run Getsusp on the machine and get me the logs.

• Start Internet Explorer.
  • Go to Tools -> Internet Options-> Connections-> Lan settings.
  • Clear any URL  under Address.
  • Uncheck Use automatic configuration script.
  • Uncheck Use a proxy server for your LAN.

IE5C.jpg

How Many Badges Can You Collect?
Ready for a little competition? Members like you are earning badges and unlocking perks for their helpful answers. Are you? Click here to find out.

Community Help Hub

New to the forums or need help finding your way around the forums? There's a whole hub of community resources to help you.

• Find Forum FAQs
  • Learn How to Earn Badges
  • Ask for Help
Go to Community Help

Join the Community

Thousands of customers use the McAfee Community for peer-to-peer and expert product support. Enjoy these benefits with a free membership:

• Get helpful solutions from McAfee experts.
  • Stay connected to product conversations that matter to you.
  • Participate in product groups led by McAfee employees.
Join the Community
Join the Community